1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Just got done watching that game. Really fun team. It was fun watching Gay and Grant Hill match up. Gay's first game in Toronto looked a little like Grant's first game in Detroit (anybody else remember that game?).

Amir can get 20 and 15 whenever he wants. To do it on a nightly basis would actually take work. To abuse an overused cliche- Amir is what he is.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'll give JD the benefit of the doubt. I think he shook enough trees to get Grizz to cut luxury tax. Made it clear Tay was still champ caliber. And Toronto had no better choice/no better/need to stop the lanquishing.

3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

This is really getting depressing.
    In Limbo | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS
    what is wrong with US immigration? I thought the entire country was littered with illegal immigrants, and this one they wont let it in? is it because he was canadian for 8 years?

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

There are many things wrong with US immigration, but we won't go there. :-)

He's not really emigrating here anyways, it's just a work visa thing. Probably they couldn't even start the process before the deal was finalized. This is actually moving a lot faster than normal. If he had been a joe ordinary, the process would have taken at least 3 months and he would've had to go to Spain to pick up his visa from the US Consulate there.

What is really baffling to me is that there isn't already a process in place for this in the NBA. I'm sure this (tranfer of foreign players from Canadian teams to US teams) also is an issue in NHL.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's probably something the Palace crew doesn't have experience with, since I cannot remember the last time (if ever) we traded for a foreign player (non-North American) from Toronto.

Bureaucracy is very costly, and in this case, it's cost the Pistons one game of a player's services, potentially two or more.

6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

What is a little disheartening is how quickly the canadian government got Rudys for him.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What if emigration let him in and some one goofs on emigration and they all need to be fired !
    embarrassing-ly funny

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's easy to get into Canada. You just bring a pair of hockey skates in your suitcase and end every sentence with "eh" and you're good.

copper likes this.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

youve been here eh? but you forgot the biggest thing? you must be able to drink real beer

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight must have some connections and is corrupting the process.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ed Davis played in the game for Memphis last night, so somebody between Toronto and Memphis took care of the paperwork in time for that transaction

12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Read somewhere its the first foreign player that the raptors have traded during the season? So this process is a first for the NBA, would think a quick call to the Wings office would have helped in this case.

Makes no sence how a work visa to work for a American based league wouldn't be set up to allow for it to be transferred among teams.

13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Ed davis is american so he doesnt need the visa, the big problem with Calderon is that he is foreign born and was only granted a work visa for canada when he was signed by toronto. Every other player in the NBA either went to college in the US and has already gotten status/ visa of some kind...or their visa was done when they were drafted by US team.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for clarifying......this should be taken care of up front for every foreign born player that signs in the NBA, just in case this situation surfaces, as every player is subject to a quick trade.

copper likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is actually good. We can see how we play with the subtraction before we test it out with the addition.

linwood, KGREG and copper like this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Devellano just wore a big overcoat with sunglasses, and went to Europe to smuggle stars over here.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

from the article I read on it, the NBA wasnt even aware that it hadnt happened until now. So Im sure with all the international players there will be steps taken to ensure everything would run smooth next time.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The INS in Detroit was a big mess about 10 years ago. I don't know how it is now. I had started my citizenship process there when we were living in Belleville, MI. The process was nearly complete, and all I had to do was to take the citizenship test and then a few weeks later the oath for citizenship. During that time we had moved to NJ and I went to the INS office in Detroit to file for transfer of my file to the NJ office so I can complete the process there. I was lucky because the lady in that office who was accepting all the paperwork pulled me aside and said to me "Off the record, although you can do this transfer if you choose to, but I wouldn't if I were you. Because, I guarantee you that we will lose your file and you will end up having to start the process from scratch. Plane tickets are not that expensive. Do yourself a favor and fly here twice instead." Needless to say, I took her advice.

Hopefully things have progressed since then, and hopefully Gores/Dumars can pull some strings.

copper likes this.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

According to Silvertongue Cal is in danger of missing tomorrows game against the Knicks too.

20. copper

copper Bench Warmer

man, this is getting rediculous...Now on a side note...currently Calderon is unemployed I am assuming? This has to be un settling to him since he is now losing a few hundred thousand per game he misses