Away Toronto Raptors Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Discussion in 'March 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's unrealistic that Siva could keep that up for 48 minutes. Please rephrase in terms of per 36 for him.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Maybe Lee's argument is that Singler is making everyone else in the starting lineup worse by playing better than them.

The Panda and linwood like this.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Nice try Slick.

Ernie the Slow Adult and linwood like this.
  4. roscoe36

+/- is a funny metric. If we use that alone to judge players, than our bigs are some of the worst players on the team. If +/- doesn't reflect their skill level, perhaps it doesn't reflect Singler's either.

Also, Bynum is and always has been legit for what he is. It's ludicrous to come at Bynum when he's the backup PG on a horrible team. Sort of like complaining about a headache when someone has shot you in the face with a rifle.

Proof of Bynum's superhuman abilities is that he's been the only PG in the NBA who can make Austin Daye look good.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bynum absolutely is another victim of this poor coaching. He is often part of a unit that is totally incapable of doing anything other than one against the world type play. And the same unit is too small to rebound. I will give one common example: Bynum at point, Stuckey as shooting guard, Pope at small forward, JJ at power forward, with Drummond at center. Now, with this unit, while it is possible Bynum could get to Drummond for a dunk, most likely it will be rare since the other team does not have to bother giving any effort toward defending an organized offense - since this Pistons unit does not have one. There are several slight variations to this unit, all bad. And then, you have the end of the game, where our coaching staff chooses to really get bad, and has both Singler and Bynum finish the game so the other team can takes its pick of who to exploit. Yeah, Bynum does have a pretty raw deal. However, Bynum himself is part of the problem, part of why these units are so darn bad.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Loyer has one quality win. His first game as the coach, where we beat San Antonio. After that, we just have wins over teams that are losing every game in sight, the Hawks, Sactown, and the Knicks. Three wins, vs. 11 losses. Now, the losses fall into two categories. Losses against teams that are not even competing at this point in the season. We have just one of those in this stretch, vs. Boston (and even that is iffy as far as fallling into this category). And then we have ten losses against teams that are in or at least fighting to be in the playoffs. Of those 10, probably only the Spurs and Rockets were so good that we could say its ok not to compete with them. Basically, since Loyer became the coach, its been a failure. And the only thing Loyer ever says about it -lack of effort by the players. Changes instituted by the coach to address the losses, other than the rather sorry excuse every night about effort, are so slight you really could not list any that are credible. Basically, he has just resigned to losing every game, and has decided not to change anything. After all he says, you go with what works. Sorry, its not working. Someone should mention this to him. Changes must be made. Something different must be tried. Because what we are doing, is not, not in the slightest, working. The few wins vs. teams who can't beat anyone else either should totally be discounted, not looked at as any kind of validating of what Loyer is doing.

First order of business, start playing defense. If a guy can not guard his guy, forget about strategies to hide him. Play someone else. That includes anyone in the rotation, at any point, even two minutes in. If Monroe can not guard his guy because his guy is too perimeter oriented, bring in Mitchell to see if he can do the job. If the pick and roll is burning us, and bringing Stuckey in to allow him to switch onto the pick guy, do it. Do not let them run eight straight plays, burning on us on play after play. Adjustments can only get you so far. At some point, you got to bring in more capable players.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Now that you have put the more pertinent data down, tell me, do you think this acceptable, or should the Pistons try going down a different path?

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Have to have faith in dumars. His master plan is nearly complete.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bynum is a true pass first point guard. daye knew this as each possession he was the first option to get passed over as he camped on the 3 point line. I'll be here all week folks.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Nobody in their right mind would suggest that the Pistons are headed in the right direction. The disagreement is clearly over which path the team should travel.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And I have put down at least one clear path. Change who plays, starting with stop playing Bynum and Singler and try some other players. And no, not CV. Already tried that. Please state your way forward. Thanks in advance.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Read the article. They fail to mention Bynum can also be prone to call his own shot every time down, and that Bynum playing has led us to no quality wins in the last 14 games. Loyer, if he likes to lose, I guess can praise Bynum, for leading us to these losses.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Joe Dumars has become a dry martini...served in a used coffee cup.

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Must be that the author doesn't get paid to write false narratives about hard working bench players.

BillLaimbeer and linwood like this.
  16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I already stated my way forward, which you responded to, so I'm assuming that you're thanking me after the fact.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the plan is to sit players that don't play defense, Stuckey isn't making his way on the floor. Stuckey's defense is so bad, they call whatever line he is standing next to the charity stripe.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Again, my first concern is Jennings surprisingly poor play this year. I did expect more from Jennings and wonder how much he was really scouted by Joe even though the contract is small. The big line up needs a point guard that can shoot and one that can get into the lane and create. I have seen little of that and he seems to get a free ride while Josh is often criticized. We have all noticed he can't finished with the right hand. That is a problem for an NBA point guard.

On Bynum, it is not that he doesn't get into the lane. He does. But teams can easily shut him down at key points in the game. And they can get him to lose the ball under pressure. I don't mind that the Piston point guard shoots. Bynum is slightly below average in shooting by NBA standards. I won't mention defense where he is just not able in many cases. I have praised Bynum in prior posts for making the NBA as undersized and not especially skilled. My problem with Bynum is that he is playing 20 minutes a game instead of four. But really, the problem is with Joe who went into the season with (unproven) Jennings, Bynum (a third tier guard) and 37 year old Billips. And Joe bet the lottery pick that these guards would work out.

I also ask: "Was signing Bynum somewhat long term, the reason the Pistons did not draft either Kemba Walker or Trey Burke bringing in a plethora of small guards?" The franchise needed Bynum during the lean years. He was fun to watch. But this wasn't suppose to be a lottery year. The 9th pick in the draft possibly was gambled away on Bynum and Jennings. I hope that the Pistons will get the 8th pick

Again, what is going on with Jennings?

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I feel like the Pistons, the last few games especially, have gone down big in the first quarter only to steady the ship with Bynum to at least keep it close.

20. roscoe36

WOW ERNIE.