Away Toronto Raptors Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Discussion in 'March 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Toronto Raptors

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Go Pistons!

3. roscoe36

I feel a win coming on.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

rough first quarter on both ends of the floor, but the Pistons close the quarter on a 6-0 run to trim the 14 point Toronto lead to 8 (29-21).

Josh 0-5 shooting, Jennings 3-3

5. LA Dre

It's half time and the Pistons are down 7, 52-45.

The Raptors fell asleep to start the second quarter missing 10 shots in a row and allowing the Pistons to put together a 14-0 run and tie the score 29-29. The Pistons then fell asleep themselves to allowed the Raptors to put together 10-2 run to go up 39-31.

The Pistons went with Bynum and Stuckey the whole second quarter running with JJ, Pope and Drummond for awhile before bringing back Singler and josh.

Despite Jennings hitting all three of his shots, he never saw any PT in the second quarter.

With Bynum and Stuckey playing the whole quarter, they contributed 6 points (2 threes by Will) on 2-10 shooting and 8 assists. They gave up a bunch of points DeRozen and Lowry though...

6. LA Dre

Raptors open the quarter on 13-2 run as Pistons trail at one point 69-52. Pistons then close quarter on 17-5 run to trim the lead to 5. Jennings had the hot hand going 6-8 in the quarter including 3-4 from down town for 22 pts.

Lets see if they complete the comeback and when he decides to put in Bynum to replace the code shooting Stuckey. Oops, he took out Jennings for a breather and left in the cold shooting Stuckey..............

7. LA Dre

First of all you are not going to win many games when you shoot 10-24 from the line and you get out boarded 54-39...

Can we trade Amir Johnson for Josh Smith?....Amir was 8-14 for 20 points and 9 boards....Josh was 5-17 for 13 pts and 6 boards. Josh never thinks about passing....as soon as he receives it, he shoots...no matter where he is on the floor. Another guy shoots first before passing is Bynum, who padded his stats in the end scoring the Pistons last 4 points. He scored 12 pts on 4-9 shooting and had 7 assists and three silly turnovers driving carelessly to the hoop. (Six of his assists were in the second quarter so no real contributions in the second half as 4 of his 6 points came in the last 27 seconds.

Stuckey was even worst doing his best Jeckyl and Hyde imitation...scoring 23 points last night and and big 0 tonight on 0-6 shooting. He and Singler were invisible tonight as Jennings out shot and outscored all of our other four guards combined 24 to 17.

Final...the Pistons give up 100 points and lose again............101-87....The raptors played good D...even intimidating our guys at the FT line.

So the Pistons are still stuck in the disaster zone waiting for the outcome of the tankers below them.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Lee356 likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

With a record of 25-40...the Pistons have 17 games left.
    They're out of the reach of almost ALL predictions.
    Even Billlaimbeer's prediction of 35-47 will require a 10-7 finish.
    Not gonna happen with their final schedule coming up.
    Nemo's 31-51 could happen, but the team needs a 6-11 finish.
    I'm still hoping.........

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Piston guard watch: Jennings was 10-15. A rare good shooting game. Why doesn't this happen at least 1 in 3 times? This is what everyone expected. Who knows why not? The organization has to get a handle on it. Notice that Langlois on Pistons.com, for the second time, did not endorse Jennings as the guard of the future for certain. You can bet that this will be a hot topic for the (new ?) GM. I would bring in a guard and put Jennings on the second unit next year and ask him to win the starting job.

But now Stuckey had no points. So Stuckey goes from a good game to zero points while Jennings goes from 1 for 10 to 10 for 15. This guard unit has not been functional all year. How much confidence did you have watching Bynum and Jennings on the floor together in the 4th quarter tonight handling the ball and the offense? Even Stuckey, after that nice one month or so run, has been very ordinary. Could be the injuries.

And the guard defense on the perimeter is very poor including Singler in this mix of course.

Tonight the bigs got outworked and the Pistons cannot win when the bigs do not, more or less, dominate.

Well, the Pistons have to lose a bunch to get to keep the draft pick and hope that someone does not move up in the lottery. I don't think the Pistons can get past the 8th spot. I took the losing for three years pretty well except when the Pistons won at the end of the season to lose draft position. This year, it is hard to take the losing but that draft pick is important. Langlois downplayed the possibility of losing it but it is very important to the franchise.

Lee356 likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Coach showed zero effort, as usual, toward getting us a win. Pretty much every moment, we got bad players on the floor. Strike that. Absolutely, every sinlge moment, we got at least one bad player on the floor who does not belong. Someone who can't guard their position, can't get a bound. Can not do the job.

We start out with Singler starting, despite the fact there is no such person on the Raptors team that Singler can guard. He went between guarding the much too quick Ross, to their best scorer, DeRozan. Absolutely crazy.

If not for that craziness, we got a guard in at small forward, getting abused, and our front line in whole can not even get defensive boards. These problems were obvious to anyone who cared to look. Our coaching staff, does not care to look.Very simple solution: Play different players. Ones not named Singler or Bynum. Let them fire you. Better to get fired, and at least keep some respect. And if you are not being ordered to tank by playing these guys, sorry, then I say fire Dumars, and the owner should sell the team to someone who cares.

Jennings had some hot shooting going. Monroe managed to look good here and there in the post. Thats about it for the positives. Although it was nice to see Pope play decent minutes, even though its not nearly as good as him starting.

kpaav and lapiston like this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons shot 10 for 24 (41%) at the free throw line. That's hard to do.

linwood likes this.
  12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I used to rush back from work to watch the Broadband recast (Cali guy). Now I just read the Leecap before bed. Sometimes can't even tell if i clicked the right game they are so consistent now. I can't remember ever being so utterly bored of this organization.

13. LA Dre

At one point in the first half it was 3 for 13 or 23%.
    Josh Smith was abysmal from both the field and the charity stripe going 5-17 and 1-5.....his theme song is Keep on Trucking Chucking.

He and Stuckey were the stars of the night vs the Kings and only to completely blow in tonight's game in Canada. 17 games left and we have to win them all to finish above .500...:biggrin:.... If the Cavs hold on to win tonight in Phoenix....we move into a tie for the 8th lottery pick:cheerlie-GOAL:

Nemo likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You're forgetting about one of the most important stats in basketball: trailing 20 game +/-.

Over the stretch when you've grilled Singler on a nightly basis after each game, here is the actual performance of each player in the rotation per 48

1) Singler: -1.18 (732 min)
    2) Pope: -1.19 (201 min)
    3) Jennings: -1.94 (669 min)
    4) Bynum: -2.11 (386 min)
    5) Stuckey: -2.38 (504 min)
    6) Smith: -2.76 (766 min)
    7) Drummond: -3.11 (648 min)
    8) Monroe: -3.83 (690 min)
    9) Jerebko: -6.50 (192 min)

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that Loyer was reading your blog and trying to incorporate some of your metrics into his decision making process. He relied very heavily on Singler and he looks pretty smart for doing so. However, his wisdom is completely offset by inserting Jerebko into the rotation as it has backfired greatly. That guy has no business in the NBA as he is technically 5.5 times worse than Singler.

In this game, Bynum -2 and Josh Smith -33. Bynum has almost double the assists of the entire starting lineup and somehow gets the blame from you.

Walter and basketbills like this.
  15. roscoe36

Oh sure, bring facts, evidence and measurement into the discussion. WAY TO GO TASHAWN.

The Panda and Menace like this.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I suggest you pay more attention. Its hardly just me who does not like Bynum's play. He is picking up on the assists of late, but that does not change the fact his defense is not good enough. And it does not change the fact that Bynum still calls his own number too often, even at times when everyone on the floor knows he is doing so.

As for Singler, none of what you say negates the simple fact he can not guard anyone on the Toronto Raptor team, nor negates the fact we played most of the game with a guard at small forward while we got outrebounded tremendously. Also, in this game, Singler was minus 9, did nothing for stats beyond a bunch of turns - so regardless of the plus minus of the other players, can you possibly tell me just how Singler playing helped the team? Explain to me what player on Toronto's team we need him in to guard, for instance. I will wait patiently for your choice.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I feel much better when Bynum is out there instead of Jennings.

I'm really happy for Toronto. They're the team a lot of us pictured the Pistons being, starting slow and figuring things out.

Mr. +/- Amir Johnson has made himself into a player. Good for him.

brofmfa and Nemo like this.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum was one of the bright spots in this game. He played a solid game. Singler is only starting because KCP has been awful and KCP had another poor game last night.

Jennings was hot and just kept shooting and not passing. Smith hurt the team the most with his reckless shooting. Greg Monroe might be the one we should look at for defensive weakness. Amir Johnson lit him up.

LA Dre likes this.
  19. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Lee if you want the perfect team out there why don't you go play Fantasy Basketball (the onlinegame).I don't disagrees with yon on the fact that we need better players and that the defence by most current Detroit players is way below NBA average. However the fact remains that these are the players we have at the moment. Pointing out the same things over and over is boring cause things won't change for the next few months. Why not share some light on your insights and start explaing what you would have done and how your rotations work based on facts and stats. All i read in your posts are problems and complaints without brining any solutions other then don't play player X, fire the coach, GM, and owner.

So if the coach is doing such a lousy job then tell me looking at a game what choices you would make as a coach and why. Not based on feelings or preference but on statistical evidence and basic baskteball understanding like putting enough shooters or bigs in. I think you will come to the conclusion that none of the combinations/rotations work perfectly because the pieces just don't fit.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I applaud all of you guys' steadfast interest in the games at this point. When I'm more interested in my friends talking about the pistons more than the Pistons themselves, I consider this a perfect failure of a season. I could care less if they win or lose or keep their pick or give it away.