Home Toronto Raptors Saturday March 10 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 9, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2012.
  1. Detroit

70.0%
  2. Toronto

30.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit PLUS / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Calderon is making plays over there, and some guy named Amir is the leading rebounder and leader in FG%.
    Toronto is resting, and we just played the night before.
    We got em at home, but they're looking more alive recently...........Toronto by 6.......

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Barg might be back for this one and he's gonna be pissed.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We've got 27 games left. We'll go 12-15 during this final stretch. Unforutnately, this one will be one of those 15 losses.

5. BallDon'tLie

Why did you pick the Pistons to win?
    ...playin both sides of the fence.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Aww shucks, I thought I was posting in the Hawks thread.

7. BallDon'tLie

My favorite Hawk of all time:

[​IMG]

8. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Just letting everyone know I'm healthy and ready to go" - Charlie Villanueva, via Twitter.

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its a one sided affair in our favor.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons with a blowout win. I don't understand why Lawrence doesn't put Charlie in.

EDIT: CV finally getting in with 3:20 left.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep you should beat the bottom feeders......defense held the last three opponents to 85.3 ppg. Keep that up they could possibly win 20 of their remaining 25 games finish 35-31 and get the 7th or 8th seed...........much to the chagrin of the tank squad..:bow1:

12. Slippy

Very good game to watch for us. Like players, fans need breaks and things to just come together for them. This was one of them. Sure it was a bottom feeder but they made us look like playoff contenders.
    Maxiell has been doing great. He's hitting that 15 footer. And that's what doing it for us. Monroe is going to get the defenses attention and Maxiell is consistently open. If he hits that we get 2 points and can set up the defense. The play of the night for me was Maxiell stealing the inbounds pass then grabbing an offensive rebound. I think Ben tapped another board out and then we hit a 3. That was great effort with great results.

Whats good about this team, even in defeat, is that there is a guy under the basket for an offensive rebound. Sometimes there's three.

Overall the team played good except for Ben Gordon who negated his sucktitude by hitting some shots.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Well, that was a laugher. It was pretty much over by the first half, but of course, the Pistons being the Pistons, you're always concerned about a letdown in the second half, but they were able to sustain their energy level and come away with an easy win. The Raptors' announcers were just shaking their heads and kept saying they didn't expect this. Well, me too, but I'll take it. If yesterday's game was won by the front court, this game was won mostly by the backcourt, the starting guards posting nearly identical stat lines and had half the team's points at halftime.

Brandon finally broke out of his post all-star game slump, hitting 3 of 4 from long range early, and finished with 19 points, 7 assists, playing with a lot of energy at both ends of the floor. He was pushing the ball well also, his best play coming in the first quarter on a nice bounce pass to Tay in transition for the easy layup.

Rodney played well, hitting on his jumpers early. DeRozan gave him a little bit of trouble in spurts, but he did a much better job than he did in Toronto and kept him in check. He finished with 20/8/4/2. His highlight was a nice pass to Max for a dunk in the third.

Greg hit the first 1-2 buckets of the game, but didn't really get the ball as much with the guards getting things going. He only took 4 shots and finished with a very quiet 11 and 5, with 5 FTs, though he also played less than both his starting guards. He just continues to be efficient.

BG shot much better, but strangely had zeroes across the rest of the stat sheet, except for contributing 1 foul. His defense was bad, not really fighting through screens very much. Didn't turn the ball over though he did nothing else of note.

Max continues his hot shooting, hitting 6 of 10, half of which were jumpers. He's becoming quite reliable from 15 feet, and had a really nice sequence where he got the offensive board 3 straight times off of pure hustle.

Tayshaun shot well, but he was forcing things a little bit, and got frustrated on defense after being called for fouls on two straight trips.

JJ played pretty well, but I cringe every time he puts the ball on the floor. He's pretty much automatic when it's a set shot, whether from midrange or distance, but in the paint he throws up these ugly up and under moves, and that especially horrid stretched out hook shot. It's hard to describe, it's like Kareem's sky hook but hideously executed and always comes up short.

Big Ben was solid as usual, and made both his FTs.

Wilkins' defense was solid once again, but he never passes once he gets in the lane. No ugly air balled layups though.

Good game, nice energy for 48 minutes, despite getting just a bit sloppy at times with rushed shots, dominating a team that previously beat them. Refreshing to get a nice blowout win in out favor once in a while, and all of the starting front court played no more than 25 minutes. Brandon and Rodney both played 33 minutes, Frank sticking to his 3 guard rotation when it counted. The next game should be a big challenge, as Utah has a big team with lots of big man depth that they can throw at Greg to keep him off balance and the Pistons haven't beaten them in a loooong time.

basketbills and raxrets like this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think we just saw Joe's dream with the double combo guard unit:

Stuckey:20 points, 4 rebs, 8 assists, and 2 steals on 71% eFG.
    Knight: 19 points, 4 rebs, 7 assists, and a steal on 65% eFG.

Also, Maxiell had his 3rd great game in a row that corresponded with a W.

I'm really impressed with Maxiell's defense and really appreciated Wilkins' defensive effort. I'd try to keep him on the team going forward to use as a specialty stopper and a character guy (more valuable than a Macklin, Sharpe, etc).

Nice little winning streak here, but we're about to go on the road permanently with our only home game coming against Miami. It will be next to impossible to remain at .500 or better during the next 10.

One thing that I have enjoyed watching is the general toughness that has developed for our team. The rotation was shortened, Monroe and Maxiell are bad men, and we don't really have any players pouting or giving partial effort. I'm giving credit to the coach for this as well as the character of the team in general. No big egos.

16. Slippy

Austin Daye checks in with the GT crew and looks like he'd rather be playing Mass Effect 3 at home then proceeds to stand in the corner. That's the way to do it man. Got a steal to stop a fast break.

Charlie checks in a played with some energy for Gtime. Still rusty on his shot.

17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Who doesn't want to play Mass Effect 3? :cheerleader:

We need more first quarters like this one tbh. Kicked the Raps' teeth in from the tip and never looked back. Ah well.

18. Slippy

i get my copy on monday:beer:

19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

This, in a nutshell, is why I am a Pistons fan. I could deal with big shot Billups, because he cared about the team more than he cared about himself. A mercenary with a soul is how a close friend described him.

To be honest, whilst I certainly don't consider this team a dark horse by any means, I am really happy with what has been going on. Mainly, that their heads are up, and negatives aren't forcing them down.

My two favourites at the moment have to Wilkins and Maxiell. Wilkins is just playing defense with heart and contributing where he can on offense. He doesn't try to play beyond his means and I like that. Maxiell is showing us why he could be one of the great back up bigs in the league. A consistent 15ft jumper and huge hustle on rebound - including putbacks? Yes please. But he is still, like it has been said, no more than a 10/10 guy and should be an impact sub.

What scares me - inconsistency at the guard positions. I like BK, and Stuckey has handed in some small proofs for his ability. But these two aren't consistent enough. Knight gets frustrated and Stuckey gets sloppy under pressure. If they can keep warm, we should see some more great playing
    - Lack of inside ball movement/control. This isn't just in reference to this game. But I feel like when the ball goes in, too often it ends up with a sloppy kickout or a forced shot. Maxiell has started popping up on the edges of the free throw line, one of the best places to be in a collapsed key situation, but as I don't really like the three ball, I'd like to see prince/JJ/stuckey moving either side of the basket for the 15-18 footers from the kickout.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With about 5 minutes left in the game, and JJ taking all of the shots, Daye kept staring down the bench at the coaching staff trying to get their eye to see if they remember he was still on the team. Got one stat...a steal and -3 for being in there when the last guy for the Raptors hit the three. Charlie had a nice feed to JJ, but he fumbled the shot, got the rebound and put it it....so no assist for CV...