Away Toronto Raptors Monday Apr 1 2013

Discussion in 'April 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure about top 5, but I would definitely agree he has more value than where he was drafted. The dude is starting to look very comfortable on the floor. I think he could get a little stronger, as well as work on his ball handling a little more. I look forward to seeing what he can do these last couple weeks.

copper likes this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was just thinking that Detroits handling of its talent farm is rather dismal. It's difficult to develop two guys at once and working on Drummond is the priority. I'm disappointed in how little Detroit uses the D-league in general. Middleton didn't really stand out in his short stint down there. I think he should have gotten a lot more time down there. I really believe more reps would improve his confidence and skillset.
    scouting is only part of it. Unless you are picking in the top 5, there needs to be a development structure in place to get the most out of these kids because next year, you'll have someone else trying to do the same thing. We've done a lackluster job of developing the picks for a variety of reasons. Its like scouring the earth of the best, freshest ingredients and then throwing it in the microwave and hoping it will come out.

copper likes this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Frank doesn't seem like the type of coach that will take guys and make 'em better.
    To me, hes seems more like the coach who steps in and maintains the level of play for an already established team. He seems like the ideal "interim" coach to me but nothing more than that.

del, Nemo, copper and 2 others like this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And forgetting to even turn the microwave on.

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think that during his most effective coaching stretch, Frank operated as the mouthpiece for Jason Kidd. Once Kidd left, Lawrence Frank's Nets crashed and burned pretty hard.

I would agree with the interim coach idea. I wasn't too excited about his hire when they announced it. That being said... I'm not really sure that coaching is the "problem" with the current Pistons.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see many NBA teams using the NBDL as a development league similar to what you see in major league baseball. Organizations must feel that young players will develop more by daily practicing, training, conditioning, and living with their real NBA teammates than actually getting playing time in NBDL games. Perhaps last year's rule change that allows more NBA players to dress in each game had some impact on this.

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It's because when you go to Duke, you're smarter than other defenders. FACT.

linwood likes this.
  8. Pwn Toney

Which lottery? Powerball? Megabucks? the Daily-4?

coynejeremy, BallDon'tLie and round like this.
  9. Slippy

Maybe the system doesn't allow for feeder systems. You'd have to allow for 3-4 years for development. Most fringe contracts are 2 years so by the time you have invested time and money into a guy, he's a free agent.
    I don't think it could have hurt to play the fringe kids more in the NBDL but I think there should be a system of some sort for guys to develop.

10. Slippy

Man, the computer ate my snarky response about Duke.

Singler is fundamentally sound on both ends of the floor but lacks the speed to keep up with wings, many of whom are elite even by league standards. At the 2, he at least had length to bother shooters. We don't have anyone else at the 3 so he's outmatched every night. But that doesn't mean he's horrible and needs the boot. I think he'd be very good with the 2nd unit - being a guy that would help space the floor, get easy buckets and stuff. Its like if we played Memphis - he guards Prince and Prince scores 25 pts. Waive Singler he's crap! He guards Daye and Daye scores like 8 pts. meh. At least he chipped in 8 to negate that.

11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Singler reminds me of a Kyle Korver type second unit player. Not much on defence but he moves without the ball and knows the game, but that doesnt make him a starter on any team except the Pistons.

Walter likes this.
  12. Pwn Toney

I'm not knocking your overall assessment, but "knowing the game" is another one of those intangibles that people are always on about that really says nothing, but everyone agrees with it (not directed at you, by the way). Hearing an announcer say, "He really knows the game..." coincides with watching a guy who keeps getting torched by opposing players, but has somehow figured out how to avg. 30 mins a night, makes 2 handed chest passes, and instantly goes into triple-threat pose as soon as he gets the ball.

13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Its hard not to get torched by Dwayne Wade when you are 6ft 7 odd nerdy white guy with a terrible haircut.

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Seriously, what's up with that haircut?

[​IMG]

BallDon'tLie and The Low like this.
  15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree totally...I
    kinda meant that he gets torched alot. He knows the game but cant compete athletically if thats a better description. He would be a solid backup in my opinion.

The Low likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Chuck Daly always knew when.............:)

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Singler is kind of a Kyle Korver type without the lights-out shooting. Umm...so there's that.

18. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey! That's just what my haircut lookslike!! (When I had hair.)

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Pretty similar haircut.

linwood likes this.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Singler is a stop-gap measure until we can draft/sign/trade for a player who can actually shoot the ball.

When the only thing you have in your toolbox is a bunch of hammers, that dollar store screwdriver is a godsend for hanging drywall. When you do get yourself a proper driver, then you can demote the cheap screwdriver to be a paint stirrer. Until you do so, there's no point in complaining that you have a bad screwdriver.

round likes this.