Toronto Raptors Jan. 21st, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bosh is a notorious pump faker. I'm sure that is covered in the tendencies report. But Bargnani really impressed me yesterday. His to the hoop game, and finishes have really improved. He's looking like a much smoother/faster version of Memo these days.

He's probably picking up the pump faking from Bosh.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He's been guarding small forwards and shooting guards all season long. And doing quite well at it. This is what makes Amir special. He can defend whoever on a defensive rotation, but if they get the ball again to one of the bigs, Amir is right back on that guy. The only reason not to use Amir at small forward, and its a very flimsy one, is that he already gets plenty of fouls just playing some power forward minutes. Why is this excuse so darn flimsy - Maxill has gotten many DNP's where he could have been playing power forward minutes while Amir plays small forward. Curry just is not doing it. He will devote the season, every minute of it, to pair up Sheed and Dyess if he could get away with it, but he won't pair up JMAX and Amir as a pair of forwards. He just won't.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The guy was often defended by Prince, and even Stuckey. His team got mightily outrebounded. Not all that impressive. He is a decent player. Thats it.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And that's a problem (Amir/Max not playing together). But the major thing (that if it doesn't get solved we are going to have a very difficult time regardless of who's coming off the bench) is that. Sheed/Dice should play together as little as possible and SHOULD NOT i repeat SHOULD NOT be our crunch time big line-up in a majority of games. Until Amir/Max get a chance to finish games esp when they are playing well, we are going to struggle to get to that next level. Hell even KB would be a better option in certain match-ups. His post defense has been as advertised.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's more than a decent player I think. It takes big guys time to develop, and this is his first real run at being the second option in the lineup.

Raps have big time rebounding issues, and Bargnani is a lousy rebounder for his size, sorta like Charlie Villanueva was.

Of course, I thought we fought pretty hard for a lot of our rebounds. Dice was great, as usual, on the boards.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He rebounds like he's European (no offense to the Europeans here... you no rebounding finesse posters!).
  7. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

<- been impressed since 2003-2004
  8. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about that. Max has always been inconsistent. It's either he comes out dominating, full of energy or he's flat. I hope he plays like he did last night because we need that out of him, but I doubt it.

During the win streak Max played but nothing out of the ordinary for him. He averaged 15-20 mins a night (one night he played 5). He only had 2 games during that span where he had 5+ rebounds (6 and 9) and his highest scoring game during the span was 5 points. I understand that some things he does do not show up on the stat book, but he's inconsistent or if you want to put it this way.. consistently average.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

His defense is consistently excellent. You can focus on the stats all you want, or you can focus on the fact that JMAX beats up the other team pretty bad inside, and we end up winning games when he plays.

Also, JMAX for the most parts starts out slow. You put him in for short minutes, and he seldom looks all that good. You put him in for extended minutes, and especially if you play him regularly, he looks fantastic. Now, if you play him much more than 24 minutes per game too long, you will see that he does start to tire out.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And plays defense like Dirk Nowitzki.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

These days Dirk is a whole lot better defensively than he used to be, he won't make 1st team All-NBA defense anytime soon, but he's become somewhat servicable, heeeeee's beeeeeeetttttter than Amare......
  12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree, but take into account who he is defending. When he is defending a player on the outside he is drawn away from the glass.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sorry for the late report. got to the game...there were *maybe* 10,000 people there at the start...rather quiet. toward the end of the game though the crowd was really getting into it...haven't had that much fun at a pistons regular season game in awhile. tay was feeling the crowd with those 3s, max was an animal, and it was just a great win all-around.

it definitely seemed like the players were all playing with an enormous weight lifted of their shoulders...they actually looked like they were enjoying it out there.

there wasn't any huge ovation when rip entered the game or anything...in fact i didn't even realize he was in there until i saw him on the court.

either way...i sense something is brewing with this team and i have a good feeling about it.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Searching for the &quot;D&quot; in Detroit
    Well, lucky for us, Moon is an average player at best.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that they may have just turned up the crowd mic for TV purposes.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea i wonder about that, because it was pretty loud coming across the tv, for sure loud enough that if it was that loud in the palace there's no way you wouldn't have noticed.
  17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah, no doubt. And what a shock!!
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly, like what they do for Shock games.
  19. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What are you? stalking me today?( :fingerscr)
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well it's possible i was just not paying attention lol...was it out of a timeout? heh. but it was probably a little overblown from blaha and kelser either way