Toronto Raptors Jan. 21st, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Speaking of Max, those five dunks really got thr crowd into it sparked the team on the comeback. However the NBA TV judges gace him know love as he was ignored on NBA TV's top 10 plays of the night. Eight of the ten plays were dunks, but none featured any of the Jason Jams or even the Piston fast break pass from AI to Stuckey to Rip for the layup.....

2. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

One question..Why can't Maxiel play like that every game? I guess we'll see him in another week or so. Great win tonight, rotations were on, Curry knows what he's doing.

3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Since Rip is coming off the bench, I really hope MC would play him at SF at times. By doing this, Tay will get his rest which he really needs (30-35 min/ game), AA can get his minutes which he truly deserves (15-20 min/ game), Rip will get his minutes (30-35 min/ game). This will also give both Stuck & AI to average bout 30-35 min/ game as well.

As for the bigs, we have Sheed to average at 30 min/ game, Dice at 24 min/ game and both Amir & Max at about 20 min/ game. Brown will be a situational player replacing Amir when he is foul trouble or when we need a big body to bang with the likes of Perkins (Celtics), Big Z (Cavs) & DHoward (Magic).

We actually have 9 deep players in our rotation and that is very interesting if everyone is healthy.

P/S: Hope my calculation/ distribution of minutes are correct.

4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I actually think that Amir was playing tentative tonight to try and stay on the floor. He still picked up the fouls but Bosh is a good player. I think he just needs to settle into a roll. He is trying to do too much at this point. It drives me nuts when he adlibs and comes all the way acroos the floor to set a pick for a guard and the guard doesn't wait for him to get set and he picks up the foul. Sometimes I think he is trying to have too big an impact on the game. Racing around setting picks outside of the offensive sets, jumping over guys to rebound and the worst is trying to make the 1 in a million block. He needs to settle into a role that is within himself.

JMax needs to stay a part of the bench. He too can have an impact against second units along with AA. All he needs to concern himself with is crashing the boards after Rip's jump shot. They will not run too much offense for him. He would clog up the middle for AI and Stuck if he played with the starters so he should shine in this role.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is everyone pretty impressed with Bosh? He's a darn good player, if you can surround him with another great player or two.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Amir's willingness to set ball screens is key to our offensive continuity. What drives me nuts is that people can not see how big of an impact his willingness to set multiple ball picks on any given possesion actually opens up driving opp's for AI and Stuckey. One of the reasons we struggle to score on offense in the 4th qtr is because you have Sheed and Dyess out on the court together and neither is in any rush to run around and set picks to open up driving lanes. I could go on and on about this subject because the way it helps our offense is tremendous. Also when a screener gets an offensive foul, 90% of the time it's the guards fault for not allowing the screener to get set, blame Stuck for this one.
    How about Rodney Stuckey, Allen Iverson, Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton? That good enough for ya?

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree. I think I saw Sheed set more picks in a 5 minute stretch tonight in the 3rd then all year. Also, did anyone else notice that Amir was guarding Moon (the SF) while Prince took Bargnani, in the 3rd. It may have been due to switches, but I think it was strategic by Curry. My point is that if he thinks Amir can guard Jamario Moon a very athletic 3, then substitute Max/Sheed/Dyess in for Prince and we have a really BIG line-up. Like the old-school WOW line-ups of Wallace - Okur - Wallace that had some serious good minutes. (Still don't know why that wasn't played more)

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well, now since I am back from the dead, I would like to add my two cents. I didn't see all of the game due to trying to catch up on some much needed rest.

Five losses in a row...Whew......

This was a good game that can be used as a blueprint for developing that much needed chemistry and identity.

That's one thing that I have noticed about this team in addition to those 5 games of small ball.

Over the past 5-6 years we had an indentity, the pistons stood out, other teams actually feared us, hence, many teams were tentative when they played the pistons because they knew we played with confidence and a defensive intensity.

John Barry gave us the Zoo Crew, Sheed came along and gave a lot of credence to the bench guys. We stood out.

Right now I think we are searching for that identity and leadership, we need a person from the team to step up and give us that. Prince the way he is playing could become that leader, but Prince is such a quiet leader, so is McDyess. AI is a baller, but when he plays with reckless abandon, I think it could be contagious.

We will see what transpires over the next few games which may give us a clue of what the end of the season will look like.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will just repeat what I have said, oh, about a million times already. Our best front line is JMAX, Sheed, and Amir. Note, Tay can play shooting gaurd with these 3, while Stuckey plays point, giving us some serious size.

Now, from this, you could use Afflalo and Rip to backup Tay and Amir, AI to backup Stuckey, Kwame to backup Sheed, and Amir moves over to power forward some to backup JMAX. Dyess plays too, just not a ton. Or at least not every game. Kwame has to get some playing time.

Also, when you pair Amir and JMAX, no need to worry about which is the small forward, which the power forward. They are just a pair of forwards who work very well together. (And no, this does not mean they work well together as a center / power forward combo. There is a huge difference.)

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bosh. Three rebounds early in the game. In the first 3 minutes. And then just two the rest of the way. We checked him just fine in the 2nd half, turning him into a jump shooter, one who usually was not let to get very open. Meanwhile we held O'Neal to one rebound, so no, you can't use the excuse that O'Neal was taking bounds from Bosh. Bosh simply has no excuse.

Now, I watched Bosh for his first few seasons, game by game. Compared to back then, Bosh has made tremendous strides. In my opinion, if we had drafted him instead of Darko, Larry Brown would not have played him either. And just maybe, Bosh would be about 2 years behind where he is now. Bosh, for his sake, landed on the right team. Where he could get the floor time to work on his game. He certainly has been using that time well.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Maxiell pretty much does play like this every game - that Curry lets him play. All too often this season, JMAX has been flashed into and out of game before he could do anything, or just gone games where he got a DNP. You think JMAX missed any games during that 7 game win streak? Nope. And he was a pretty decent part of everyone of those wins. Matter of fact, you look at our wins, you see that JMAX played. You look at our losses, and you often see that JMAX did not play, or barely played.

Anyway, as this current 20 game win streak gets started, just keep paying attention to the contribution JMAX is making. Write down notes on what you see. Then when Curry ineplicably pulls him out of the rotation again someday, you can refer to your notes, even if you can't remember all the good play from him. Hope that helps anyone who has trouble remembering what has been helping us to win this season. Yep, that includes JMAX.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I did notice that. As far as putting Prince on Bargnani, it was a good decision. Barg really doesn't want to drive. He's like a skinny Sheed. Amir proved early on that he was going to bite for every pump fake. Tay is the master of not leaving his feet on D and his long arms made up for the height differential. Amir on Moon? It only worked out because Moon settled for jump shots. Tor should have had him driving.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bargani pumped faked Amir right off the bat to start the game and Amir did not go for it. I thought they were going to stop the game and have a little ceremony. He went for everyone after that.

Bosh gave an upfake to Sheed that made me react watching it, but he stayed down.

14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree that Prince was a much better match-up on Bargnani then AJ. Yet, it was refreshing to see Curry still trust Amir on Moon - a much more athletic player than Bargnani. Amir could have easily been lit-up if he was not capable of defending the position. Basically, hopefully Curry sees this as a way to limit Tay's minutes by substituting one of our BIGS in for him (Max, Amir) to play the 3 instead of always going undersized at that position. I never understood why coaches always were more comfortable going small than big. In most amateur games size and hieght trump speed and athleticism almost always - also seen in the recent SB experiment gone bad.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed is textbook on D. He needs to take his apprentice under his wing and impart some knowledge.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You got pumpfaked out of your Lazy Boy?:D

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did you foul the Bosh fathead poster on your wall?

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sometimes a great defensive scheme is no more than creating the illusion of a favorable matchup. Want to exploit Amir Vs Moon fine, I'll take that, it keeps the ball out of your 2 best scorers (Bosh/Bargnani) hands, if you think you're going to beat me with Jamario Moon, DREAM ON!

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yip, spilled my chips all over the place.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'm getting fined for a flagrant 2.