Toronto Raptors Jan. 21st, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Some may wish to play down the significance of this victory because Toronto is not a strong team, and/or because it is just one win. And I can certainly recognize that Toronto is in fact not a strong team and that it is in fact just one win.

However, I'd be wary of playing down the significance of the victory. I think Lee's recap aptly emphasized all the detailed technical ways in which the win was very significant.

To that, I just want to add that I felt (as did others in the chat I think) that we were watching a rejuvenated team. Not only was this evident in the activity on the boards, moving without the ball, sharing the ball -- but I felt that it was evident in the body language. It seemed to me that they were playing as if it were the first day of spring, like they'd gotten out from under a weight or burden. They were having fun and they looked like they were having fun before they turned it into a rout. Subjective impressions, I know, and so easily discounted.

What is, undoubtedly true, is that a beat down against a weak team is absolutely unprecedented for this club this year (the closest really that we've come, if i recall correctly, is the game where we were crushing -- who was it? Charlotte -- and then turned it into a nailbiter). So Toronto may be a patsy, but we've been losing to some patsies and beating others by a point at the buzzer.

All in all, this game restored for me the feeling of fun and joy on the court and in watching the game and also gave me back a sense of optimism that, irregardless of whether or not we can actually beat the top teams in a 7 game playoff series, we will give them a fight and we will have fun doing it.

Go pistons.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Who'd a thunk it. Blaha played up the whole AI / Rip tag team scoring tandem from the last game, vs. the woeful Grizz. Tonight those two give us little. 7 from Rip, 11 from AI. Meanwhile, our starting center gives us just 2 bounds and 3 points. Amir gets pulled a few minutes in the game for giving up 3 quick offensive boards to Bosh.

But we won. And Bosh only got 5 rebounds for the game. O'Neal just 1. We outboarded them 40-28.

We did not jsut win, we slaughtered them. And again, just by doing some simple things right.

JMAX, who had gotten some DNP's, was awesome. What did Curry do right there? He played the guy. He played an awesome player. Go figure.

We had a power forward in the game almost the entire game. And even a center for the entire game. What did we stop here? We gave up very little easy near the basket. We won the paint battle decidedly. This is not that hard to understand. A center for height and strength, a power forward with some strength and quicks. Together, the two cover the middle.

And finally, we simply avoided pairing Sheed and Dyess. We could have lost 10 points at the end of the 2nd there, and had to dig out from a hole in the 2nd half. But fortunately, Sheed got into foul trouble. Two centers gives you the same thing all the time - two bigs, neither of which can get over quick enough to cover a play right to the lane. It is particularly great that JMAX had a fine game tonight. With Amir starting, and JMAX coming in for him, it leaves little opportunity for Curry to mess up on this.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, Max hasn't exactly gotten consistent playing time all season long either, so I can understand if its tougher for him to be in rhythm.

He was great in all aspects of the game tonight.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree. I get the feeling that Max is the kind of guy who really depends upon and thrives on having a clearer sense of what will be expected of him, roughly how much he'll play and so on. He was really transformed tonight! And it's not just the points and boards he gave us (he's not always going to give us a double double, obviously, though if he keeps getting 5 dunk opportunities a game he's likely to score in double figures more often than not); it's also that his play energizes the home crowd and his teammates and he creates a kind of chaos that makes for some easy opportunities and discombobulates, disheartens, and disorients the other team (a bit like rodman or big ben).
  5. theprince22

theprince22 First Round Draft Pick

Anyone else think Jmax should get the start next game to see how he does? He played with a lot of hustle tonight. Grabbed a lot of offensive boards, had some nice dunks, and put up what was it 14, or 15 pts. He may be 2 inches shorter than Amir, but he still outplayed him for tonight. I would just like to see him in the starting lineup to see how he does.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amir was fantastic on defense tonight esp in the 3rd quarter. I know it's cliche, but what he does really doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Sheed/Amir and Max/Dice. Those pairs work best.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I only saw the 4th qtr because of some work I'm doing. But the re-Caps are fantastic. AI/Rip/AA looked good on the court together so did AI/Rip/Stuck. Max needs go and chew on some Tums before he gets indigestion from all the babies he was eating tonight :burgereater:.

Let's see: we got a bad game from Rip, a bad game from Sheed, a sub-par game from AI, seems as if Amir was a little off tonight too; yet with we won handily, go figure.....it's called depth, and proper use of it. When you have Rodney Stuckey, Richard Hamilton, Allen Iverson and Tayshaun Prince as your perimeter players at least 2 of them should have really god games. When you have Kwame Brown, Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiel, Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace - 2 of them should be able to deliver the production that you're looking for. Everynight we should have 4 really good performances from this team. Tonight it was Tay - Stuck - Max - Dyess; When Rip, AI, and Sheed only have to give you a role players effort, you have a very talented basketball team.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It's funny during all the small ball games I'd feel like DET was playing well and they'd be up 2 points. They just had a lot more room for error.

Were some of you running in here to pos doom 2 minutes into the game?

Great win no matter who the opponent because across the board they were ice cold in the first but kept at it and chipped away to close by 3(?) or so.

His may not wear #25, but AI played some tough D and greatly helped the win by quickly (and that's an understatement) getting the ball up court on the break.

The worst move Curry made all night was bringing Sheed back in the 2nd. He would have been better served bringing anyone in at that point. I think Sheed's foot is bothering him. He couldn't get off the floor tonight and you can see it in his shots. Plus LB always sat people for the half if they had 2. (Amir would have hemorrhoids by now)

T-Dot went with a Bosh, Italian guy who's name I can't spell and JO front line while DET countered with Dyess, Tay and Rip. Yikes!

It would have been funny if they booed Rip tonight after he agreed to come off the bench. It is going to be tough not being small at some point. Rip has to play, he's at least earned that. When he's struggling you can't yank him, so what do you do?

Tay with a couple of "good" 3's tonight. AI had 1 me thinks, but the rest were "bad".
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Take it back! Amir was great!!
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If only we could somehow send that memo to Curry.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know i've realized that the 3 guard line-up actually works as long as Prince isn't at PF. AI/Rip/Stuck/random big/random big was actually effective. Rip's height allows him to play SF successfully against alot of teams.

I'd rather AA/Rip take the remaining SF minutes then have Tay at PF at any point in the game.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Prince going off happens with regularity, the only time it doesn't is when he defers to his Big Brothers (Rip and Billups) now that he see's more time on the court with out the Big Bro's, he's going to continue to step it up. Think of how good we're going to be on nights where AI and Rip don't shoot 3-9!!!!!!!
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Amen 2-da 'dat!!!
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

AI had a great game. I have hinted that about 10-12 shots is about right. He had 9 and we crushed Toronto. He was only 3-9? No, several misses lead to Piston buckets. He was setting people up and playing solid defense. That is what the doctor ordered.

Tay is our best outside shooter. I have been dis-believing in how he has been used on the Pistons. Does anyone believe Tay is going to continually go down low against the elite teams? They will jam that slow moving play easily if used too much. Finally, Tay gets to spot up and his three bombs pulverized Toronto. Every elite team has the three bomb as part of their arsenal from the west coast influence on offense.

Same for Sheed. Sheed is poor down low. How many moves does he have down low? Sheed needs to get the ball just outside mid-range some and not just at the three. He will shoot the lights out from there.

It is up to the young bigs. If one of them can step up and play like Maxiel more than one game in a row, the Pistons can move back up.

Curry had Tay with Rip and Dice at the start of the second. Good. Need shooters on that unit. I still think he knows what he is doing. Phase one of looking over his personal is complete. Today started phase two.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, I'll take credit for the win, guys. Game 1 in our BYU intramural basketball league was today, and the rust showed. It took 15 minutes for us to make a shot. And at that point, the game was tied. :loser: But we won, 31-30, by stopping their runs with some great defensive plays and our bigs clogging up the middle. I have not played basketball for about 3 years, and so I wisely only took two shots. I do feel like I made this win possible, though, considering the AOTG I made in the first half. After all, had we not gotten that basket, there's the game, right?

So you're welcome for the good karma we passed along to the Pistons tonight. :MusicBigGrin:
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We just slaughtered a team. Not the time to change anything.
  17. max

max All-Star

Rip looked a little akward off the bench but its definetly worth sticking with. This move can put us in the Finals. We will have a decent starting line and a bench of Dyess, Maxiel, AA, and Bynum setting up Rip like CB used to. I think Rip will end up getting more shots than AI eventually.

Best thing about this new lineup is how much better Prince is going back to his old position.

Dyess is having his best season yet here. Maxiel had 2 strong games in a row - perhaps there is a method to the madness.
  18. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I couldn't agree more

I really wish Jmax could start but he's just to short imo... I'd rather have him been our energy guy off the bench to come in once Amir picks up his usual quick 2 fouls lol...that's all they need from him...bring energy and finish strong inside..cuz AI and Stuck will give him plenty of chances...
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A little DVR delay going on here for me...

Now that is what 14 minutes of SB per game looks like!!! It's about time. 14:20 of modified SB (3 guards + 2 bigs) at +3 and 25:40 of dominating BB at +16.

The biggest win of the year. First actual positive GT in recent memory.

We just held Toronto to their lowest point total of the year by 7 points!

All of our guys did their thing (except for Sheed on offense). Tay was on fire. Rip and AI were sharing the ball and making some great passes. And what got into Maxiell? He actually looked like the Brahma Bull again. That is the kind of performance that pumps up your teammates and makes them realize that bball is fun. Also, quite a gem from Stuckey. One of those games where he attacked perfectly and hit shots when he needed to.

I don't care if this was against a weak team, cause we abused them.

Rebounding, blocked shots, steals, and high pressure defense.

And the funny thing to me is that we've spent all month stressing out about which "all-star" SG to bench and Toronto's SG put up a bagel tonight in 22+ minutes. :sssh: We got it so good we got it bad.
  20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

As we have seen with the Rip situation, you don't want to throw 5 guys on the floor who are all looking to score. Plus, as great as Max has played the last few, he's inconsistent . Amir may be erratic at times with his fouls, but I feel like he has a higher percentage chance at having a positive impact because of his activity/quickness defensively. Max will have a great rebounding game or scoring one in every 6-7 or so. Amir is less likely to go off offensively, but he'll give you the boards more often, and he almost always improves our defense (whether he gets scored on man-to-man or not).

There were some weird matchups in this one. Stuckey was guarding Jamario Moon, and even Bargnani for large stretches. Our starting point on their starting C. I couldn't help but chuckle at least a little.