Toronto Raptors Jan. 21st, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

This is definitely the best game Tay has had all year.... he is absolutely on fire and he can't miss...... It doesn't hurt that he is going up against one of the worst defensive teams in the league either.
  2. theprince22

theprince22 First Round Draft Pick

WOW this is just complete dominance. Not even close anymore. 18 point lead. Max is getting a bunch of offensive boards. blowout
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

TOR's like the cure to an ailing mojo. BOS played them back to back and now they are back to blowing everybody out. They really are bad defensively. It's a little embarrasing.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

First blowout for the Pistons in a LONG time.... even during that 7 game winning streak they were eeking a lot of close games out. For a team that has piled up blow outs over the years, we've been starved of that this year.
  5. theprince22

20 point lead with 4 to go
  6. theprince22

j max reaches 10 rebounds
  7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

god that was fun!
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Who else loved that play where Stuck hit Hamilton with a nice pass as Hamilton curled off the screen, the TOR big showed to take away the shot and Rip dished off to Dice who was wide open underneath the basket.

That's offensive execution at it's finest. :D
  9. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

great game, and finally a big win we needed..
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Great feel good win. Now let's hope it translates in better competition. I like that AA got burn in the 2nd half. Hopefully that wasn't just b/c of the score.

AI/Rip/Stuck actually looked good together.
  11. theprince22

19 point win. great game tonight.
    notables were
    tay: 25 pts. 2-2 from 3, 4 reb. +16
    stuckey: 17 pts 7 ast +14
    J max: 16 pts 11 reb +14
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Only 10 turnovers tonight for the Pistons while also shooting 51%. They had 25 assists on 40 field goals, an outstanding ratio. The defense was good too, holding Toronto to 43% and just 4-12 on threes.

Overall a very good game by the Pistons, the best in quite awhile.

The competition is about to get a lot tougher in the upcoming games though... good thing most of those will be at the Palace.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The rebounding was a welcome sight esp after that 1st quarter. 40-28.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point LP, we can only hope that Toronto's D and our lineup change cures what ailed us.

Notice that how with Rip and Sheed spending most of the time on the bench (specifically the third quarter we were able to play like we did when we were winning? We didn't get any blowout during the streak, but we did play looser than we did when the two of them were starting. If we are able to put together some wins vs the Texas twosome and then the Twolves next week, then we may have to second guess why MC went with small ball for 6 games before turning the cheeks:confused:
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

if i remember it was 12-2 at one point? so from that point on it was 38-16... now that is very impressive.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Dyess (what else is new?) and Max were huge on the boards tonight.
  17. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Dice may frustrate me sometimes when he and Wallace are playing together and all they do is shoot outside J's...but Dice is probably my favorite player on the team (behind ai of course)...you can ALWAYS count on him to hustle and get boards...I have no problem with players missing shots if they play hard (hint hint Sheed)

I love watching Jmax too...I like Jmax cuz he reminds me of myself in college...I wasnt the best shooter but I hustled, blocked shots and tried to dunk every thing I could around the basket..only difference between us is i'm 2 inches taller than he is...I wish i could give him my extra 2 inches so he could start instead of Amir......actually nvm i wanna keep my 2inches lol...but i do wish he was taller so he could start tho!!
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nice to see a slaughter as our first try back to a right sized rotation. How much did we go wrong sized tonight? A few minutes of small ball, with Tay at power forward, toward the end of the 2nd quarter, and thats it. Curry was going to pair up Sheed and Dyess for a few minutes to end the 2nd quarter, but a foul by Sheed sat him. So, in all, maybe 44 minutes of using a pairing of a center (either Dyess or Sheed) and a power forward (either Amir or JMAX.) And we get a slaughter.
    (Note, we did go with Rip, Stuckey, and AI all on the floor a bit, but not nearly as much as we had been.)

Tay had a monster offensive game, even made consecutive triples - like for the first time in months. I think he kind of likes being back at small forward. Its not who we are playing. Its the fact that Tay is not being worn down during the game by contending with a heavier player to defend.

Rip did little, went 1-6 in the 2nd quarter. We certainly did not win this game from Rip adding scoring punch to our bench. But our bench scored plenty between Dyess and JMAX. JMAX had 5 dunks as gave us a double double - 16 / 11.

JMAX was pretty awesome on some of those dunks, but you know, what I really like is how hard, though futilely, the other team works to keep Jason off the boards. He just owns the paint. Jason also had a turn around jumper made in front of the basket, and one meaningless longer range shot made in GT.

Dyess played good D, always playing center. What a difference. And he even was found around the basket quite a bit on offense. Nothing negative at all to say about this guy tonight.

Sheed scored very little, played some D. Its great that his minutes got cut way down. That is going to help us in the playoffs. Sheed needs the rest. Amir did nothing too much really but make his defensive rotations. He looked good guarding Bosh a few times in the 2nd half. Amir was given the quick hook in the first quarter after Bosh got a few offensive rebounds over Amir. (And JMAX came in for him.) Though Amir was not giving us offensive rebounds for the most part, he was contesting them at least, hindering Toronto's ability to start fast breaks. Amir was in there the whole 3rd quarter, where we took control of the game.
    Afflalo played very litte. Just about five minutes or so to open the 4th quarter, then a bit of garbage time. He did little, but we did pretty much put the game away while he was in.

Bynum played about 6 minutes to open the 2nd quarter, played fine. Made some passes, made an outside shot. Decent D.

AI did not do all that much. He was contending with a taller player all game as Toronto apparently has no point guards at the moment playing. AI was the only guy to get the ball inside to Amir all night. (Amir dunked) AI also did not shoot all that much. It seemed anyway. Have to go check the boxscore. I am pretty sure he did make double figures though. AI did play point to start the 4th. (AI, Afflalo, Rip, JMAX, and Dyess opened the 4th, and the game was all but over before that unit came off the floor.)

Stuckey got inside on them alot. Nothing spectacular, but at least a nifty level drive here and there. Made some outside shots too. He helped make the play of the game with a nice pass to Rip in transition.

Can't think of much else at the moment. Ten man rotation used. Still got Kwame available. Herrmann got 2 minutes of GT.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice leecap. Thanks L.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's the thing with Dice and Sheed. They just can't play together. They look 100X better when they are paired with a younger big. The thing is Max often looks lifeless. This was the first game in a long time that he brought it the entire time he was out on the floor.

I'm glad Sheed is getting rest. He still doesn't look right to me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The production we got out of Rip and AI is not going to cut it against better teams. They both finished 3-9 which is fine when Prince is going off and we're playing a bad team, but i don't think we can count on that scoring outburst from Max.