Home Toronto Raptors Friday Nov 23 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Toronto Raptors

Friday Nov 23 2012 - 7:30 PM EST

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another winnable game on the schedule. Will the coach put all his priority into winning this one. Or will we see the same losing rotations run out there like there is no problem at all, and see another ugly loss.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation to try:

Knight, English, Middleton, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit: Stuckey, Maggette, Singler, JMAX, Kravtsov. (With Monroe and Drummond out there as much as possible depending on foul situation.)

Other 3 dressed: Tay, Daye, JJ

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to see Drummond, Monroe and Tay up front with Maggette (might be my favorite player) and Knight. Singler and English off the bench along with The Russian Guy would be fun to watch.

I hope they amnesty Stuckey. He is killing me. Maybe they could crank the heat around him and make him think he was about to faint again so he won't play?

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

It'll be pretty bad if they lose to Toronto at home. The Pistons need this game. There's a good chance the Raptors will look like The Harlem Globetrotters tomorrow.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Monroe will shred Toronto's front line. Pistons by 3.

7. Slippy

I was reading the Raptors board at Realgm.com and its like the clash of the entirely demoralized fans. Both sides expecting to fall apart. Who will suck less? Peruse the box score after the game because watching it live is just not worth it.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Good game by the Pistons. The 15 Turnovers and missed free throws were horrible on their part but Coach finally put his trust into the Monroe+ Drummond combination to finish the game and boy did they do damage or what?!! Both played well and pulled down key rebounds while wreaking havoc inside and picking up fouls.

Also, I really liked how Drummond played he finally showed some fight and grit. You could tell that he didn't wanna lose tonight.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. roscoe36

91-90, Go pistons!

I couldn't get the game, because I paid $99 for league pass but can't get Canadian games, ostensibly because I am supposed to own a TV and pay for cable as well.

You gotta love intellectual monopoly. It doesn't just stop freeloaders from watching, it stops paying fans from watching too.

But I digress...

TheeTFD likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I got shut out too after buying LP b/c I'm in a different city for the Holiday. Buying the TV LP should come with a free online membership IMO.

Sounds like I missed a good one. Impressive big man game with 2 double doubles and total production from PF and C of 40 points, 31 rebs, 6 asts, 3 stls, and 2 blks.

Prince's box score makes it look like he had about his best game of the year. Efficient scoring, great rebounding, and a few assists.

Looking forward to hearing some recaps.

11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

A win! The first one we've gotten against another bad team. Some edge of your seat stuff...though if we'd not blown a 13 point lead we wouldn't have needed heroics. But, a win is a win, and this one was big for the team's confidence - they were able to execute well and got the stops when they needed them.

Greg played really well, 19/11/5 but with 4 TOs. He was fortunate Bargnani's 3 didn't sink the Pistons' ship tonight, but they wouldn't have been in the position to win without him either.

Andre - he was great. 13/13 in only 24 minutes is terrific, and all with no plays run for him. He was the difference between a loss and a win with his rebounding and defense. Unlike with Max, they had to account for him at all times, as he was always a threat to grab the boards and get the putbacks. It's crazy how fast this kid is for his size; the most obvious example was a play wherein he was up top guarding the guard one minute and was back in time to steal a lob pass from his man in the next. He made a great case for more playing time tonight, despite the mistakes; he just impacts the game in a way no other big man on this roster can.

Brandon had a tough night in the TO department (3 asts to 5 TOs) but he found his shot and got the game winning basket, and was overall an efficient 6 for 8 from the floor, finishing with 16.

Max - his lack of height was exploited extensively by the Raps.

Kyle was solid as expected. He shot less than 50%, but the benefit of his movement without the ball and the spacing he provides (especially now when he's viewed as a good shooter) is invaluable.

Tayshaun was good. He hit two big shots in the fourth over DeRozan and we needed each one. He's been playing better since the SL was changed to include Kyle.

JJ - meh. I likened him to a traffic cone a lot tonight, which is horrible because this guy's game is supposed to be all about energy and he didn't have that; hasn't in a while now. His shot was off and he still kept settling for jumpers. Just not a good game for him.

Stuckey - had some good moments, but he was pretty much a non factor.

Bynum - he played well for the most part. The foul on the 3 was bad though.

Corey - it felt like he was shooting every time he had the ball, but he only actually took 5 shots. He's a good slasher, but to open up the lane a bit, he needs to have better shooters on the floor with him.

Coach Frank - he's gotten a lot of flack on this and other Piston boards (including from me), but he did well this game. When the Raps made their run to cut the lead to 3, he didn't get mad and instead made adjustments and subbed in Greg for JJ when it was clear the latter was struggling. The bigger deal though is the fact that he played Greg and Andre together more extensively than he previously has, including in crunch time, and it paid off.

After losing seemingly every close game of late, the Pistons finally got a W in a close contest. It was good to see them bounce back from the horrid Orlando game by responding positively when yet another team threatened to beat them in a game they'd led by as much as 13 in. This will be a great confidence booster for them.

brofmfa and Slippy like this.
  12. Slippy

Despite my earlier claim. No, not the one about the Pistons winning - that was correct - but the one about the game not being worth watching - that was wrong. In the battle for top spot in the lottery, the Raps pulled defeat from the jaws of victory as Knight knifed through the lane and scored the go ahead bucket.
    Despite Frank flavoured haterade being served up around the internet, there have been adjustments. After the Boston game, an effort has been made to spread playmaking duties. Tonight it worked out pretty well as Knight looked for his own shot a fair amount. Early on the ball would swing to Prince and Knight would move to the corner. He moves well without the ball and Prince made good decisions. Knight body language was apparent when the ball was swung away from him but the end result was Monroe with a bunny several times. Otherwise, Monroe would get it at the elbow and try to make something happen. My favorite play was when Monroe threw a bounce pass to a cutting Maxiell who devoured a baby in rim rattling fashion.
    The big thing was subbing JJ out for being ineffective against the explosive front line and Monroe and Drummond going to work. Drummond looks so awkward to me but there he is with an offensive rebound. There he is with a steal. He impacts the game in a way that no one else on the team can. He had almost as many offensive board as Toronto.

I don't care if Maxiell continues to start as long as Drummond gets his 25ish minutes. Maxiell was his solid self.

While it was a win, I wouldn't get too excited. Even if Drummond starts and gets 27 minutes a night, there are some big problems. Turn overs are a major issue. Passing overall is subpar. Outside shooting is still suspect and for a guy hanging his hat on defense, the team still sucks. They are really vulnerable to explosive bigs. And the team's make up is too redundant.

Still we wanted change and its happening. All we need now is for Stuckey to find his stroke.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons have so much trouble scoring. They basically have one play they can score off of when a cutter goes through the lane to shoot from 3 feet away from the hoop.

I defy anyone to tell me that the Monroe/Drummond pairing is worse than something else the Pistons have trotted out there. I would feel better with Drummond trying to guard the LBJ's and Wade's of the world than anyone else on their roster.

Brandon Knight made a lot of big plays at the end of the game. They would not have won without him. I just never feel like he is a threat offensively.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Who was supposedly guarding Bargnani?

15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I believe he was Maxiell's man, but with Andre in it looked like he was Greg's.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good win. Good news. Coach paired up Drummond and Monroe a lot in this game, both at the end of the first half, and the last 6 minutes or so of the game. (Mostly) Our new starting unit, with Singler, remains perfect in starting games out with a lead. Singler hit a 3 early, showing other teams just why they have to respect his shot.

And so, thats about 28 minutes of the game roughly where the coach had a resemblance of a team on the floor. If he had put Knight back in the game to end the first half it would have been even better. Instead, Bynum played right to the end of the half. Nothing came good of that.

Andrea kept hitting shots for them. Even if guarded well. Lowry got hot for a spell. Other than that, Calderon did some damage. Not the greatest opponent tonight, but still, great to see us get any win.

With a decent unit in with him, Knight found himself a bit more open and hit a few threes. He missed one that he rushed a bit. Just not use to being that open I guess.

Two very healthy double doubles from our bigs. 13 and 13 from Drummond with 8 offensive boards while Monroe got 19 and 11. Drummond though only made one free throw out of several. Not many came close to going in. He does shoot straight, just long / short. In contrast, while JMAX did not do much tonight, he did hit 4 of 4 free throws at one point, all helping us to stay close. I think Monroe hit one outside shot, but mostly he kept driving on his defenders. He drew plenty of fouls and made several free throws.

Tay did a lot of damage. He looked especially comfortable when in with our "Twin Towers". The other team could not watch both Monroe and Drummond and also check Tay from waltzing in and scoring. And watching those 3 was not easy considering they had to watch Singler. No wonder Knight was left so open.

Our best run was to open the 3rd. We got a sizeable lead, but then started going backward. Coach replaced Knight with Bynum. Lowry had been hot. I don't know how this was to stop that, but hey, at least it was a move. We ended up losing all the lead eventually, and even fall behind some thru the usual bench rotations. Like playing Bynum, who is not a point guard and can't do things like effect the shot of a taller guard. Like Maggette who is not a small forward playing small forward and JJ who is not a power forward playing power forward. And Stuckey playing shooting guard when he is not a shooting guard. Stuckey did hit a 3 though, so coach can carry on this particular fantasy a bit longer I guess.

Down five, with about 4 mintues to go or so, Knight was the hero driving in for a score, and then hitting a triple to tie it up. And then later, his drive put us up one with 7 seconds to go - and no timeouts left for either team. Lowry, with Knight contesting the shot, clanked one and that was it, our 3rd win in 5 games.

Loved to see the win. Hope to see another one on Sunday (1 pm start time) against the Knicks. I really do believe we match up well with the Knicks. But coach will have to change the rotation up even a little bit more to win that one.

17. roscoe36

Corey Maggette has had two 22ppg seasons in his career. Another 20ppg season.

All at SF.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What past coaches have put up with Maggette not being able to defend is their problem. Maggette has always played both small forward and shooting guard, and is not a good defender at either position. As long as he is a zero on defense at small forward, I won't call him a small forward. And you won't hear me clamoring for him to play shooting guard either. However, given the two choices, I'd rather see him play shooting guard. At least he has the size and height for that. Who knows, if he ever gets healthy, he might even have sufficient quickness not to look too bad there. Right now, we have better options than playing an injured player.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation:

Starters: Knight, Singler, Tay, Drummond, Monroe

first quarter substitutions: Singler moves to small forward with English coming in at shooting guard. If foul trouble on Singler, Middleton takes those small forward minutes. JMAX spells Drummond.

2nd quarter starts with Stuckey, English, Middleton, JMAX, Kravtsov. Four minutes in, Drummond returns and either JMAX or Kravtsov sit. At 6 minutes, Tay returns at small forward, Monroe returns. Stuckey and English could stay out there if things are going well. If not, Knight and Singler return at some point.

2nd half, pretty much the same. Except Knight and Singler return always with 6 minutes to go in the game.

For minutes, on average: Knight 33, Stuckey 15, Singler 29, English 26, Middleton 16, Tay 25, Monroe 36, JMAX 17, Drummond 32, Kravtsov 11

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You've done it!

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.