1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Toronto Raptors - Friday, March 17, 2017

Discussion in 'March 2017' started by roscoe36, Sep 25, 2016.

1. kpaav

kpaav All-Star Forum Donor

We are just not a good team. Unfortunately, we are not rebuilding either. Tough spot.

S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons should be running those curls for KCP where he's catching the ball at the FT line going towards the hoop constantly. They should be running it for him, Morris, Harris, S and RJ.

Everyone of those guys would shoot a high % from there and they'd have an easy path to Drummond, Leuer and Baynsey.

I would love to hear what was supposed to happen on the Pistons 1st possession of the game. They made 1 or 2 superfluous passes and dribbled 50+ times without ever getting closer than 25' from the basket. They ended up taking a contested 18 footer straight off the dribble.

The Pistons never pass the ball inside/to the post just to move the D and set up something else. The play east to west entirely off the dribble 30 feet from the basket.

LA Dre and roscoe36 like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is Brendan Malone still on the coaching staff? Was he the old guy sitting in the back row of the bench wearing earplugs during the game?

If yes, that doesn't give me a great feeling considering the Palace isn't really loud these days. Isn't he tasked with being Drummond's mentor?

LA Dre and roscoe36 like this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A lot of veteran coaches with bad teams out there friend.

Ty Lue just won a title and he hadn't even coached an entire regular season yet.

The problem isn't aesthetics. It's not personnel. The '03 Pistons had very low talent, but they played like they were possessed, and won a lot of games.

Trading for this guy, or signing that coach is really not addressing the problem. The problem is that many of our guys don't care.

What PJ Tucker did tonight, was back up his talk. No one on the Pistons backs up their talk with their play.

junior and LA Dre like this.
  5. roscoe36

Brendan Malone is Pistons' royalty. He can pick his nose with ear plugs in on the sideline if he wants to.

Dre doesn't need a mentor or a big brother. He needs to grow up.

"I DON'T COACH EFFORT!" - Larry Brown to the '04 Pistons.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If we weren't fighting or playing for a playoff ss
    I am thinking that maybe SVG sits the starters for a game....go with Beno, Boban, Hilliard and those two rookies and bring in SJ, Ish and Baynes as the key backups. Make a statement to the starters. Unfortunately Gores would not allow SVG to sit any key player while they are on the outside looking in. After all we he does't have the luxury of sitting anyone ala Steve Kerr or Pop. Every game is a must win...13 and counting.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talking about this guy, #8? For KCP? We'd have to also put in a rush order in on a new batch of teal uniforms.

DeRozan scored 14 points tonight in 36 minutes on 33% shooting with no 3 pointers. He averages 28 points per 36 and only made 3 field goals tonight. KCP fouled him 0 times.

Maybe if SVG didn't yank our starting PG (and leading scorer) in a 1 point game with 5 minutes to go, we would have had a chance to pull this out.

The Panda, roscoe36 and SirKeeper like this.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It seemed to me all the notes about how Raps coach was saying they where not playing hard/whatever, was
    just another reason to let them off the hook.
    So what they were losing. Where were the notes about our guys maybe getting a soft touch here against
    a struggling division foe ?!

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That guy would have to be a fighter pilot type.

We could have used Anthony Tolliver last night.

10. roscoe36

Let's say we make the playoffs. Then what happens?

I didn't think he was that bad, but the list of the worst defenders posted yesterday had Tolliver as one of the worst defenders in the L.

basketbills likes this.
  11. roscoe36

Dre is not that bad, but he had a few episodes last night where he looked like that.

Everyone should go read the list of worst defenders that was posted in the Pistons 16/17 thread yesterday. Some of them will surprise you. And yes, Okafor is featured as one of the worst defenders in the L at his position.

Sometimes I wonder if we have forgotten what Detroit basketball is.

It's toughness. Physical and mental. It's all out 100% effort. It is winning ugly. It is not scoring 100 points per game. It is winning every hustle stat.

@TaS@TaS DeRozan was covered by Morris a lot last night. I think he was Morris' primary cover.

That said, I am a Pope fan, but I don't see a guy who can carry an entire team. He has the right mentality on defense to be a Piston.

S.J. likes this.
  12. junior

junior All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is personnel, though.

These guys just don't have heart of a Bad Boys or Goin' to Work team and they don't have superstar talent to compensate for that void.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. roscoe36

Right, but my point is that you need guys of character, not physical dimensions.

We of all people in the world of basketball should best understand the Darko Paradigm.

I see a lot of talk of stats, of win shares, of PER. I never see anyone talking about leadership skills or physical toughness.

junior likes this.
  14. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond had a lot of nights in his entire career that can make you say: "This guy.. just doesn't care".

I'm 100% with you Roscoe.
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, and start wondering which team or which player plays with that detroit hustle??

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You obviously need a combination of the two. Otherwise, you would be the starting center!

Just as it is with dribbling, free throw shooting, and other attributes, the applicant pool gets really thin for a position that requires a man to be 7' tall and 250+ lbs. If you're looking for a point guard, 10% of the population fits the physical requirements (and that is probably really generous... maybe 1%). If you're looking for a center, .001% of the population fits the physical requirements.

Most of the competition at Dre's position was eliminated in high school and college because they move slower than Boban and Glynny velcroed together. Most of the others can't dribble twice in a row without kicking the ball out of bounds. And then about 90% of them can't jump.

When you're getting down to the 7 footers with Dre's agility, jumping ability, good hands, strength, bulk, and some ability to score in the post, you're down to a handful of guys in the World. It's no surprise that he is lacking a few things.

If the team wants a less physically gifted individual, then the applicant pool is much bigger and we can find a guy with heart and the ability to hit FTs (e.g. Baynes). However, I doubt many here think that we are on our way to becoming a Championship team with Baynes as our primary starting center either. I could be wrong, maybe some think that. If that were likely, you'd think that SAS would have figured that out already.

Other teams have won Championships with their center being one of the weakest positions, but they have had "superstars". Bulls are the main example of that in the MJ days. So, if we want to chase that model, then trading Dre would be a good start.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. roscoe36

I am a character. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor