Toronto Jan 15 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 13, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

he's not getting regular burn, but i do think he has the trust of flip.... he went in for the last 4 secs of the 1st half as a def replacement. I know its Flip and its really hard to find trust in him but I really hope that in this case once stuckey get truelly settled that we'll see his mins go back up.

Unlike my thoughts about Amir who I'm afraid is a lost cause for this year.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Sorry, Lee: i'm actually bored of your wishful thinking and constant demanding that coaches, GM-s, players and even owners MUST do "in my way".Those guys do as they see fit and surely their job is to gve answers based on your taste. Dumars and Flip seem to be on the same page, why bench should be shortened, and b/c you do not like that dumars agreed with flip, you start questioning whether such conversation ever happened...

Okay fans do not have to like, what is happening with ther beloved teams but such attitude that I do not like that beforementioned conversation happened and therefore I question "legality" of issue, has gone to far, at least in my opinion...

I fully understand that this is fan forum and everyone has their opinions but it does not justify that fans can make various demands based on "realGM". All those coaches, players work in REAL LIFE, if you do not like it, it is your problem, not theirs.

You do not have to like what coaches are doing, but it does not mean that they are "stupid".
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I heard Flip talk about his conversation with Joe in the post game. My feeling is that it will be easier to integrate AA later because of what he brings to the table. He is not responsible for making sure that the team is still functioning as a cohesive unit while CB is out. He playsa much smaller role then Stuck so the priority of getting Stuck more acclimated makes perfect sense.

I don't like it but it is kind of hard to argue. AA brings defensive presence and hustle that we can add in after Stuck feels more comfortable running the team. It makes no sense to play them together if Stuck is not comfortable yet.

I do agree that we should play more CB/AA and Stuck/Rip combinations to reduce Rips minutes. I can wait til after the break for this. Unfortunately I think AJ is going to get left behind this year unless these guys learn fast. Just have to see how Stuck progresses playing more minutes with the starters and less with the bench. Eventually he will NEED to be the LEADER of the second unit and we want him prepared to do so. In the long run it will give us more options if he feels comfortable. He won't always have to have 3 or 4 starters on the floor with him once he feels more confident running the team.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

No small ball and Herrmann.

We can breath easier for now.

:hoops:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a great game. I love watching the Raptors, and Raptors/Pistons is the best!

Rip was absolutely amazing, his 3 point shooting was great, and his effort on defense was solid as well.

Very impressed with the Pistons backcourt, except Stuckey, who really needs a lot of work to develop.

Defensively, the Pistons had a bad 2nd quarter, but otherwise really strong.

The best part was when Max tried to dunk and missed so bad, he was knocked down. I think someone wrote in chat or said on the telecast, "Best missed dunk of all time".
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I too liked the running by DET. I also liked that Flip subbed Maxey in with about 3:30 to go in the first and Stuckey soon followed.

I disliked bringing Sheed and Billups back with 2:30 to 3 minutes to go in the half. For a guy who's so concerned about rhythm, I don't know what Flip expects them to do in that amount of time.

I thought Flip could have subbed out for Max with about 5 to go in the half for Amir. That is the first time I've thought that all year. He would have been out there with Dyess.

DET needs a dependable back-up PG. I don't think they can afford the luxury of carrying Stuckey, AA and Hunter (Billups really too). They do too much of the same thing.

Chris Bosh is the Dirk Nowitzki of the EC to me. That is not a compliment. (He would fit nicely here though.)

One way to pair AA/CB and Stuckey/Rip is to start AA.........
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The plan is obviously that Stuckey is the primary backup for running the offense. This leaves the question of what AA's role might be for the playoffs, but whenever that comes up, I think people are forgetting about Lindsey.

Lindsey as a primary backup PG is bad news because he can't reliably run the offense. But as we've already seen in the wins at Boston and at San Antonio, he can still wreak havoc against backup ball-handlers from other teams to help spark some runs. That's a role that can definitely be valuable in some big playoff games.

Does AA bring more to the table than that? I like him, but his positive traits--good defense, opportunistic scoring on defensive breakdowns and in transition--seem to be more or less what Lindsey can give us, as long as Lindsey doesn't have to handle the load of running the offense (which he won't have to, if--according to plan--Stuckey becomes the one who does that off the bench). And who do we trust more, in this year's playoffs, to provide that pestering defense and occasional scoring on open drives: Lindsey or AA? My vote is with the old guy.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I agree with you here but I don't think AA is going to go from 2:19 to starting. He is more likely to see a few DNP-CD over the next few weeks.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We sort of anticipated the problem that Flip is facing. That is why we were suggesting lineups where AA would start. Or JMax, or even Amir.
    It's because we were concerned that putting all the rookies out there together would not be the best way for them to succeed. However, Flip is now concerned about this and has shorted the rotation as a way to get Stuckey help. It works for Stuckey, but not the most creative way to go about it.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

you bring up a great point. realistically you're not going to see afflalo in the playoffs. you're going to see the starters, max, stuckey, jarvis, and lindsey. relying on 2 rookie guards in the playoffs (despite how solid AA has been) is a scary thought. relying on lindsey to be the backup PG is a scary thought.

but letting stuckey be the backup PG with lindsey getting spot minutes (like james/lindsey in the championship year)? that's something i can roll with.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. Tay also came back in with 1:22 left in the second. I was charting the game and made a note asking what in the world is going on. Hayes wasn't setting the world on fire, but neither was Tay, and getting a guy up who is cooled down for such a short period seems a really dumb idea to me.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Good point. PO are more intence, less fouls called, more physically "brutal" and I do believe that in case when both AA and RS are on the court during PO they will be "bitbulled" by opponents.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just because the coaches are clueless about basketball, in some respects, does not make them stupid. I am sure they are all fine people. And like anyone, they have their limitations. They have their faults. They have a lot to learn, just like everyone else. Even about basketball. If you will take the time to notice, both Porter and Cowens use to coach their own NBA teams. What are they lacking such that they ain't got head coaching jobs at the moment. And why did Flip Saunder's best friend fire him from his last coaching job? Ever think just maybe these guys have flaws? They do.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    :cheers::p_welldone:
  15. raxrets

raxrets Starter

coaces usually are trying their best, players, well...do not have to, they still get their money till the end of contract.
  16. mikhail1973

They may be trying, but are they capable?
    I guess at this point I should ask - do you think Flip is a great coach and has what it takes to get Pistons to the championship? I am really curious since you so vehemently oppose any critique of him.
  17. mikhail1973

Flip, is that you?
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Problem is, nobody knows...you can't say that this or that is champioship-caliber before he wins that damn' 'ship...Our speculations are based on hindsights...And even when somebody has won you can't really say that he does it again....

It is emotionally undersandable that fans desire a 100% sure answers but who should give those?
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Because his best friend was too big a weenie to fire himself?
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

That's what I said 'NOTHIN!"....This was at home...vs a Toronto team without TJFord, a weak game from Bosh and NO game from Bargnani. Watch the game within the game when dealing with a team that stikll has no respect for it's coach. There's something I'm waiting for...and I'll know it when I see it.