Toronto Feb 10 7:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by max, Feb 8, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

His hunger and approach have tailed off since CWebb arrived. Simple as that. He spent all of last year on the bench and had no trouble shaking that "rust" off.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt true. But also true that other teams know who he is now and what he can do, and are prepared to stop that. It's easy (relatively speaking of course) for a skilled unknown player to come into games and make a difference. The key for Max is to be able to add something else to his game to continue to force the opposition to adjust. Right now, if he isn't getting dunks on broken plays, he just isn't very effective.

That little cross the lane jumper was a nice wrinkle, but I can't tell if he isn't getting that because defenses have adjusted or because CB/LH isn't calling that play.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, his minutes have been reduced, plain and simple. You can't show a thing if you are not out there playing. Shaking off rust? Maxiell always seems to need about five minutes to get going in a game, which lately is all Saunders gives him. Saunders does not want Maxiell to succeed is the only conclusion I can draw.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How many minutes exactly does it take to box out? After a 4 year collegiate career, in his second year as a Pro, when does he exactly start boxing out his man and cleaning the glass?

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i agree he hasn't been rebounding that great. he wasn't rebounding before webber got here. i will give you that though. but i think he was an offensive force before. i just can't believe he lost that because webber came. i think he was missing a few shots that were money in the preseason but now that flip has made his minutes inconsistent he is becoming inconsistent.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't know lee. i've seen him come in and score about 10 in 2 minutes. his minutes have been reduced but i think it may be his skills are rusty from not using them as much.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

My theory is that CWebb came and changed the dynamic of the team. It impacted Jmax's position quite a bit and the guy hasn't been given time to adjust. He's been learning how to play in the pre-Webber Pistons now he needs to switch gears with very little time.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is a fundamental change from Webber coming to the team. All the sudden, JMAX is getting easy looks from pretty close in, perhaps a range he is not use to. They say those 4 to 8 footers can be tough. JMAX just needs a lot of practice making the easier shots. (Which would mean actual playing time, which only the coach can give him. Making the shots in practice does help, but without validation from a real game, practice can't do that much.)

9. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Er... good question. Come to think of it, when Sheed is playing to his potential, nobody can really STOP him. I was thinking maybe JO, Duncan or Zo can SLOW him down somewhat in the paint, but when his inside-outside game is on, that's another story.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i still think the thing thats gonna get us is Saunders' terrible knack of playing to the other team instead of letting us just bully them to victory...

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ya know, hair spiked/raised in the middle of their head (faux-hawk), very skinny, wear pants that are too tight and shirts/jackets that are too tight and don't go past their waste. haha

and yeah roscoe, the 'reptile dysfunction' sign was showed on palacevision, pretty funny.

from that toronto star article, it reminded me of something else i forgot to mention - mason's attempts at pronouncing the raptors' player names was hilarious. garbajosa ranged anywhere from 'garba-hose-a' to 'garba-jarba', and bargnani ranged anywhere from 'bargie-narnie' to 'bargia-narnia', or the last time (like the article said), mason said 'barn...' and left it at that haha.

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I concur.

13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Like who? I thought those were the only players he could cover defensively.

If you're talking about Andrew Bogut, Bogut isn't really a post-up scorer - he gets the majority of his points facing and driving (which Webber obviously doesn't have the footspeed to defend against). But I'd say that he's done a fine job against mostly post-up scorers like Boozer and pure shooters like Garnett.

14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Jason Collins and Jeff Foster. Occasionally KG and Udonis Haslem. And Darko, of course.

Jermaine O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning are good help defenders but not the greatest post defenders out there, and while Timmy is a phenomenal all-around defensive player, Rasheed is familiar enough with his game (and has a big enough advantage athletically) that he can score consistently against him.

15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Really? You take out the last few "Garbage time" games last season and he shot sub-40% from the field. The difference is, last year, he was the focus in garbage time. He could just chuck up shots at will. Plus, guys are more sloppy in garbage time, so he's getting easy putbucks and transition points.

To me, I think he needs to be more involved when he gets in the game. And not just post-ups. Get him on some pick and rolls with Chauncey or Delfino to get him some open shots.

First though, he needs to figure out how to rebound. He needs to take lessons from Delfino, who attacks the ball off the glass as hard as he does any aspect of his game.

16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I forgot Kwame Brown.

17. Dlev59

You are kidding right?

18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

No. That's not really a slight, since I consider Collins, Foster, and Brown three of the best four post defenders in the NBA (along with Rasheed himself).

19. Dlev59

When has any of them defended Sheed well? Not saying they haven`t, I would like to know when, if you know.

20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer