Toronto Feb 10 7:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by max, Feb 8, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Raptors NBA TV my friend. I'm online all day, but the TV is usually on in the background. They do "game in an hour" cuts so sometimes I watch that off and on. No timeouts or free throws.

Been looking forward to this one. The more media hype we get up here, the better our coverage is. As a fan, I can't ask for more.

Plus, I really, really love watching Bosh play.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Darko is a whole lot better than Bosh in one key area, defending against power forwards and centers. There is no comparison at all. Ask about this after the game if you still don't agree.
  3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Excellent preview Roscoe.

If the Pistons play like they have the past 4-5 games, we will win this one handedly.

If we go in with the same attitude as we did with the Wizards, it will be a long night. We tried to outrun and outgun them, ain't happening. We must play Pistons ball for 48 minutes.

The bench scares me, I am very uncomfortable with our current bench players.

Can't wait to see how Webber will react to a young athletic team, especially now since he is thoroughly entrenched in the Flip Saunders playbook.
  4. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

And if Boston had Darko on their team, they would be on a 17 game winning streak.
  5. roscoe36

lee, I think you need to check out Garbajosa. He plays SF, PF and C. He's a pretty good defender for an old spanish dude.

Also, Rasho is a lot like Darko. Tall and stuff. I think Rasho is a Darko-esque defender.

We'll see tonight!! Only an hour to go!
  6. roscoe36

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

First half player notes:

Billups: didn't do much at all... was impatient on offense when he didn't defer... his defense was extremely bad against both Ford and Calderon... he did a good job of team defense when matched up with Parker, though
    Hamilton: a pretty good game... shot and passed very well... his defense wasn't great early but was solid in the second quarter
    Prince: a usual Prince type of night... invisible on offense, late on defense, and not much on the boards
    Wallace: a monster... did an excellent job in the post and shot well from the perimeter... defense good to excellent
    Webber: maybe played slightly better than Rasho... didn't score from the block... completed extremely difficult passes to Rasheed on more than one occasion... some turnovers to go with them, though
    Hunter: shot the ball extremely well... dribbled a lot but set up Rip very well... struggled on defense early but had a spectacular stretch in the second quarter... left TJ Ford open for a corner 3, though
    McDyess: showed some nice fakes in the post... didn't score, but drew a foul... drew a charge... didn't score or board much and had a bad turnover... slow on help defense
    Delfino: got dunked on by Joey Graham and left MoPete open for consecutive corner 3s... other than that, defense was solid to spectacular... he and Lindsey shut down the Raptors' screen-roll offense in the early second... got some difficult rebounds in traffic... got some layups and missed an open 3
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Second half player notes:

Billups
    : missed some more ill-advised shots... successfully got into the defense off the dribble... drew multiple fouls... posted once and made a good pass to the cutter... got abused by TJ Ford most of the night, but stripped him once on an isolation... hit the game-sealing pull-up jumper in the lane... hit his free throws
    Hamilton: scored in a variety of ways... passed well, too... good defense... when the bench came in, he forced shots and turned the ball over while overdribbling
    Prince: three offensive rebounds... hit some pull-up jumpers... an incredibly weak touch foul to give up an and-1... didn't do anything on the possessions he ran the offense... passive defensive effort
    Wallace: dominated Bosh and Bargnani on both ends... a phenomenal post-up display... hit outside jumpers... passed from the block... excellent defense... caused about five turnovers in the third quarter as well as making his man miss... a magnificent game
    Webber: good rebounding... good movement without the ball... two dunks (!)... his extremely slow pick-and-roll defense in the late 4th led to his being yanked by Flip for Delfino
    Hunter: played excellent defense against Ford... hit another 3... at point guard, he looked to set up Rip every time down the floor, to mixed results
    McDyess: drew a foul... committed a stupid foul... played excellent defense on a drive by Bargnani, blocking the shot... made a shot
    Delfino: didn't do much his first stint... good passing and defense... only two more rebounds... turned the ball over once... drove for a layup on a kickout from Rasheed
    Maxiell: did just about nothing... decent defense on the perimeter... set a good pick for Rip for once... the spacing got completely screwed up as soon as he got on the floor... committed a turnover

Flip Saunders: I still don't understand why he refuses to use the end-of-quarter break to give extra rest to his starters... subbed in Hunter-Delfino-Maxiell at 11 minute mark

The vast majority of the Pistons' scoring, as usual, came from the Billups-Hamilton-Wallace three man game. The Pistons offense ground to a halt every single time that Tayshaun Prince is on the strong side of the floor (for instance the shot clock violation with less than 3 minutes left in the game).
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

48-9

thats our record when Sheed scores 20 points or more, including playoffs since he joined the team in 2004.

10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Flip Saunders on... Chris Bosh's defense:
  11. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Six in a row baby! Detroit had their hands full with a talented squad of mostly foreign players (that can all ball). Toronto is a fun team to watch and they just are just a couple of pieces away from being a serious playoff contending team. I like when Sheed plays on fire he seems very engaged in basketball right now so I attribute that to Chris Webber being on the team. The tech Sheed got was ridiculous and I hope they appeal that because no other player would have been called for that. Maxiell is in a sophmore funk right now but he's just not playing enough minutes to get on any kind of a roll so I just want him to keep getting some burn. Delfino is so energetic and fun to watch and he finally finished some plays close to the hoop tonight. His D was decent except for letting Mo Pete burn him several times on 3s. Need to be in that guys jock because Peterson is an incredible shooter. Bring on the Paperclips I say!
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks Web...Although 9 of his game high 28 pts came from beyond the arc, that record alone is why he should be fed the rock more often in the post.

Now Ms Sheed and Dr Phil will need to sit down and talk to him about anger management, because the next tech I believe will start to hurt us.
  13. roscoe36

Well, if you watched the game, you saw what I have been preaching. The Raptors are a bonafide up and comer.

Poor play - Billups, Prince, Maxiell, McDyess

Good play - Delfino, Hunter, Webber, Billups

Great play - Rip and Sheed

Sheed was a workhorse tonight. He fought Bosh every inch of the way, and showed the young fella how to play at another level. Maybe his best regular season performance in a Pistons uniform to date. Classic.

Toronto Coach Sam Mitchell said in the postgame that this was a night that Chris Bosh and some of the other young Raptors grew up. That Chris now understands that players are going to come after him.

On the downside, Sheed did pick up his 15th tech from one of the worst refs. Courtney Kirkland.

Hamilton had a very efficient game and played solid defense on Parker.
    Unfortunately Rip was also the beneficiary of a spotty call. He was tagged with a flagrant foul for what looked like a graze on Anthony Parker's face that may or may not have been embellished with a flop.

I really thought the Pistons played decent and the Raptors played almost as well as they can. That's a good sign because if the Pistons play great, they should be able to keep getting teams down by big #s.

As an aside, does anyone believe we are playing Flip's playbook anymore? Sure looks like a bunch of talented players just balling with a lot of improvisation and plays off of instinct. They look like they are having fun and with the exception of Tayshaun (and at times to the detriment of Billups) not thinking too much.

We're officially hot right now. Let's burn up the Clippers. :flame: :flame: :flame:
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Roscoe how could Chauncey to both poor and good?
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There was absolutely no reason for this game to ever be close. Toronto has zero interior D, especially from this so called all-star of theirs. Yep, the fans got that one very wrong. Defense is part of the game and Bosh is way too short a player to affect the shot of NBA power forwards and centers, as well as too weak to compensate for it.

The Pistons started off mostly jump shooting, again thru about the first 6 mintues. We got behind some. Then Flip reminded his players about the game plan. Thats twice we went 6 minutes to start a game with everyone on the wrong page. Then we started going inside. A bit of Webber, a lot of Sheed, and of course Toronto had no answer.

We got the game tied back up pretty much, and then in came Hunter to put us behind. He scored 4 points himself but other than that we had no bench scoring thru most of the 2nd quarter. However Hunter continued to hit his shots, other people compensated by helping out with the ball handling, and we got back on track with Hunter still in the game. The announcers were calling this great game by Hunter already in the first half. Nope, you give up a huge lead because you are too stuborn to let someone else handle the ball, then help tie it up later-thats not a very good first half. In the 2nd half, Hunter did better.

Delfino gave us some scoring, and some excellent defensive rotation. I see someone on one of the boards blamed Delfino for two of those 3's by MoPete. Nope, Delfino, on the first shot, was the only player on that side of the floor. He can't cover everyone-it was poor rotation by other players. On the 2nd one though Delfino did play off MoPete too much. Other than that, Delfino's D and rebounding was a huge part of this win.

Rip had lots of points, and lots of assists. With Billups running things, Rip's offense just kind of is there. His scoring in no way bogs down the rest of our offense. On the other hand, with Hunter running the point, or I should say trying to run the point, yeah, things really slow down. It irks me no end when Delfino is bringing the ball up, and instead of going to spot up, Hunter pouts for the ball.

Maxiell only got in for 5 minutes in the 4th quarter. Still some good solid NBA experience in crunch time for the big guy. He did ok defensively, and thats it. His only scoring attempt ended in a very obvious offensive foul.

Sheed was totally awesome, nailing triple tries but more importantly using his mismatch in height and strength to utterly dominate inside. And on D, he chased Bosh around very well, making Bosh just a rather ineffective jump shooter.

Webber settled too often for the long outside shots. He did pull some rebounds and got some dunks. Not much of a game from him compared of late, and with Toronto being such a perimeter oriented team, Webber was a poor fit for our defense. Fortunately, we had Delfino, who is perfect for such, come in the last 4 minutes to help win this one. We had just given up a big run to Toronto just prior with Webber out there.

No Dale Davis. Again. Dyess hit a shot from the outside, played some decent D. He has taped up ribs so I don't know how much good he really did tonight for us by playing. Did I mention we had Dale Davis available?

CB scored little, was surely to blame for not runnign offense thru the post to start the game, and at one point where we had them at our mercy decided to shoot another 3 early in the clock. Fortunately, it was just that one shot and we returned to the normal program. Overall, CB did great in keeping our offense on track and had 7 assists to no turns. Very little scoring from him.

Prince was out there. Hit a shot or two. Considering who we were playing, there is no excuse at all for Prince not to have driven in a lot more.

Even though not as good as we could have done, still a very good win vs. one of the hottest teams in the league. (Althoug Toronto is coming off a stretch of mostly home games, so are they hot or just comfortable?) GO PISTONS!!!!!
  16. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

Lee Billups had 9 assists and 0 turnovers not 7 assists.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thanks, but get use to this. I do not look at the boxscore before I post. I try to post from my memory, as fast as I can, while my memories are still fresh. Rather late in the game, they announced Billups had 7 assists to no turns, and that is what I remembered. Still, again, thanks for the info.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good recap. The playbook? I think its a myth. Just a convenient excuse for not playing guys. Or not playing Delfino at point. Or never giving Amir even a little taste of playing time. Basketball is not that complicated much of the time. Flip should be trying to get this team ready for the playoffs. We need more bench play, throw that playbook away anyway as its the most well known book on the planet as far as I can tell.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bosh got schooled by the veteran Sheed, but his team is the 4th best in the east and playing well ,so might as well send their best player to the allstud game.

I am not sure about "Flips game plan", but you are right they did curtail the ouside J's and concentrate on penetrating and using Sheed in the post.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Didn't see the game tonight, since I was watching my Kentucky Wildcats with some friends as they got beat by the Gators. Nice to see that Sheed had a huge game against Bosh. And it's always a good sign to see that your starting guards combined for 17 assists to only two turnovers!