Toronto April 13th, 1:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by Dlev59, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Toronto April 13th, 1:00 PM

TV - ABC

ABC decided to pick this game up as the Raptors could move up or down in the EC playoff picture and the Pistons could possibly clinch HCA in the Finals (assuming they make it) with a win.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Celts were 24 and 5 against the west.
    Pistons were 19 and 8 against the west.
    That has nothing to do with the Raps. But winning this game with the starters going ~ 25 mim. each would be fun. Considering what's on the line 8.4 DR.
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

This should be the tuneup games now. RATCHET UP BOYS!!
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hard play by starters, including D in the 1st and 3rd and then the zoo crew for the 2nd and 4th.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We sooooo own the Raptors.
  6. roscoe36

7. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Holy crap Zoo Crew!

Does anyone else remember one of the last games of the 2007 season against the Raptors, where the starters built up a pretty big lead going into the fourth quarter and then handed it off to the bench? They crashed and burned. Couldn't make any shots, and the Raptors carved them up like a turkey.

But now, this year?

Not gonna happen. I think we're ready for the playoffs, guys.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Uh, yeah!!!!:whoo:
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stuckey or JMAX, who to start with. Tough call.

No, I will start with complementing Flip on his coaching. Darn good today. Not for a second would he give in to the "big game" theory. He played to prepare for the playoffs. Great job Flip.

Now JMAX. JMAX is not just on top of his game, he is at an all time high for him. Never have I seen JMAX so comfortable, so in command, in a game. And he had all his legs today. He was going up and over people with a relaxed ease born of getting a ton of playing time. Good job Flip for that too. JMAX is going into the playoffs well rested, with his outside shot dead on, and with the confidence to take his time and make his shots.

Stuckey was our leading scorer with 20 or so. He made an outside shot or two, finished inside some, but mostly got his points at the line. I believed he missed just one free throw out of quite a few taken. Stuckey was just blowing by people today. Quite a game. And another bench player at his peak, ready for the playoffs to start today.

Amir did not do anything special really. His highlight on offense was that nice pass inside to JMAX for a dunk. Just good solid D, staying right with Bosh, one fine offensive player. Sure, Bosh still scored some, but they were very well contested shots when Amir was defending him. Not that Theo did a bad job either.

Our older bench players, Theo and Hunter, also got some burn to get ready to contribute. Theo broke loose for a score inside off a pick and roll. Hunter canned a few shots. Both played good D. Two more players on track for the playoffs.

Our starters? Rip hit most of his shots to start the game, he is ready. Billups is still nailing his threes. Sheed is still shooting outside too much. Dyess is hitting some, missing some. Tay was mostly a no show today on offense. As a group, they really took too many outside shots. But hey, the main thing is that they did not play much. Our starters are a fine group of players, and they are all of them quite well rested, yet staying involved enough to keep the rust off. Pretty much just right. (Though I still say Tay should take a game off and relax, forget the streak.)

Hayes hit a shot. He did not seem to hurt us that bad on D. But more good news here. For the second game in a row, Afflalo got time at small forward. Much of the 4th quarter for instance.

Afflalo needs more shots. He is not at the top of his game by a long shot on offense. Just like those who would characterized Maxiell as a poor shooter, without seeing him take a lot of shots to get comfortable first, people who think Afflalo can't shoot are wrong. There are still two games to go. Still time to give Afflalo another 20 outside shots in game time situations. He is not comfortable out there. He needs to get there. Meanwhile, his defense, even on a very quick guard like Ford, continues to be exceptional.

Afflalo did contribute two outside shots made (one in the lane) and one putback after his rebound. His rebounding is decent too.

The annoucers made a mistake that I often do myself. When Stuckey goes up for a shot or to collect a rebound, I often mistake him for Maxiell. Stuckey is a taller guard, with lots of strength.

Great game. Good win, putting us just one more win from clinching 2nd best record in the league. Everything is on schedule for us to win a championship. The only thing I think is not done yet is giving Afflalo a lot of shots, and he did get several today. But I am not that worried on that score, as Afflalo can always to continue to defer to other shooters if needed.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing for certain..Stuckey and Max are playoff ready and should get at least 15-18 mis in each of the playoff games. The others are still inconsistent as Alf is still looking for his outside jumper and AJ is still looking for garbage. We can rely of both of their defenses, but AA should try driving more until he can get that outside shot back.

Hayes has to bring it in the 2nd or his time will be limited to 10 mins or less. Dizon and Hunter can be used for spot duty.

Nice that Flip went with the zoo crew to close the game they responded. One thing for sure, this is the team we need to face in the first round and dispose of them in 5.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The big question, for me, going into the playoffs... Is Flip going to continue to let Stuckey play his game when the games count, or will he go back to starter iso-ball when he's on the floor? The bench is just so much more effective when Stuckey gets consistent chances to attack the D. He's the only guy on the team that can get into the lane on every single possession. To not utilize that would be a huge mistake. If he's back to spotting up and watching Rip/Tay hoist 20 footers, I like our chances much less against teams like the Celtics/Lakers/Spurs/Cavs.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Starter

You're too benevolent: 4 is more than enough.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

15. mikhail1973

I have to pretty much agree with Lee on this one. Bench got plenty of time, plenty of work against the starters. Afflalo did seem tentative at the end passing up open shots. He should get better with more offensive chances. As for me, he'd be a better choice at the 3 against the smaller SF, especially if Hayes continues to struggle with his shot.
  16. roscoe36

A broken clock is right twice a day.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

probably got chewed out for the 15 moves he put on and then forced the shot from the corner... Hubey commented on it... AJ was posted up with great position and AA made move after move and then let fly a contested shot.... Its a learning curve, and probably was tenative to not take another bad shot.

I agree, if other teams go small... we can play AA at the 3, or at the 2 and let rip move over to the 3 depending on the matchup. The options in the playoffs are numerous. No body should be out there if there not playing up to par.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

stuckey continues to look great and he's starting to finish his drives with more consistency. is this the type of confidence you want in your rookies come postseason?

"Me coming off picks," he said, "and Max and Amir rolling to the basket is deadly."
    “I’m just attacking, and I feel that nobody can stop my drive,” Stuckey said. “I love contact, so I’m going at the big guys, no matter who it is. It’s all about being aggressive.”

yeah, i think it is.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Add some Dywane Wyade type calls to the mix and we have a superstar!
  20. mikhail1973

He'd need a bit more playing time before he'd be getting the calls. It will take some time, but it may just happen.