Top 50 NBA players...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Oct 26, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I’m always curious about punditical rankings like these and how they match up with what I measure in sprocket points.

- One thing is that sprocket points are completely unforgiving of injuries and only based on what the player actually did, and not what they might have done if healthy all season. So, Jermaine O’Neal, Yao, Ginobili, Peja, MrGrady, Artest, and Shaq end up a lot lower in my rankings than in this one on a total points basis.

- There are a couple of low rankings - Ben Wallace, Jason Kidd, Pau Gasol I don’t get. If you looked at the GM survey yesterday, the Chicago acquisition of Wallace was basically the move of the year, so ranking BigB 25th seems out of line. And Kidd is aging, but most still make him the second best point guard in the league, so 24th also seems out of line. Gasol at #50 seems the oddest of the three. I don’t rate him as a top ten player, but he’s strong in the second bunch.

- Couple of missing guys – Boris Diaw had an amazing year last year, surely better than many on the top 50 list. Likewise for Lamar Odom. He’s not very flashy, but he fills up a stat line better than at least a third of the top 50 list.

- Some other players with much higher sprocket points ranking than Fox Top 50 rankings

• Shawn Marion – to my mind a serious MVP candidate last year and more the reason for the Suns’ run than Nash. He’s what we all hope Prince can become. Much better than 18th best in the league.
    • Antawn Jamison – very solid last year, easily in the top 25 rather than the second 25
    • Brad Miller – clunky, slow, and very solid – defends, boards, passes, and hits jumpers from everywhere – the kind of player who never makes a poster, but every GM wants. Can you say Bill Laimbeer (without the mean streak)? Much better than #44.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't see how Shaq could be ranked so high when his numbers are falling like a rock.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's a quandry. If you do something purely statistical like I do, then you miss some things about players that are important. But, if you venture into the world of subjectivity, then it's you against the world.