Too Many Minutes!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

The season has just begun and here we have our starters averaging high minutes once again. Is this the norm at this time of year? Perhaps Flip in desperation is trying to get wins now to save his job.

Sheed playing close to 40 mpg is like committing suicide, and CB said last year he was fatigued going into the playoffs. Obviously the only starters that can play heavy minutes is Rip and Tay, so play those two with J-Max, Delfino, and Amir!

Hell, at least for a few minutes. Let`s see what they can do. Seriously, Flip play the bench.........PLEASE!!!!!!!
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hate the minutes too, but I think yesterday was a must win.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that's right. You can do it too often, but they needed a win last night. I have much less a problem with too many minutes from the starters in close games than in blowouts (either way). Last year fifteen point leads going into the fourth guaranteed 12 minutes from the starters.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

playing the bench does not mean you're going to lose. people need to stop saying this. honestly the bench has outplayed the starters for a good part of the season.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'll give Flip the benefit of the doubt on this one, it was a must win. But, going into the Houston game, if Tay, Rip, and Sheed have dead legs and we get blown out, I'm going to rethink my position.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Our guys just aren't good enough to dominate without heavey minutes. How come Nazz is only playing 25? BBeen got 35.
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I have to agree with Jay on this one. If the bench hasn`t played how do you know they will lose the game? What if the starters lose?

Reserves are too give your starters rest, provide a spark when the starters aren`t effecient and replacing injured or foul proned folks.

Why is it always the latter when our bench plays???
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip still does not know how and when to play the bench. if the starters could get off the snide and play inspired ball from tip off instead second half, then the bench would get more play. In other words when the Pistons get in hole to begin the game, then only Dice and possibly Hunter will get in the game gefore the 8 minute mark.

The other issue is because the bench gets little PT, they are inconsistent from game to game. Dice is only good every other game Delfino every 2-3 games and Hunter plays one decent game a week. The jury is still out on Flip jr. (and senior to if you think about it)

My suggestion is mix it up and insert one of the younger guys in there in earlier before Dice, Hunter and Murray to play with the starters and get a feel of what's going on. A new player with atheticism can disrupt the defense on the other side if they are not use to his moves.....Look how the unknown rookies on the Hornets outhustled our veterans...
  9. max

max All-Star

Sheed has been avg 34.3 MPG, Billups 35.6, Tay 35.8 and Rip 37.4

There will be some games when Sheed plays around 40 but that will not happen every night.

Hunter has barely played. Murry has been the 1st off the bench. I would rather have Hunter out there.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Player-by-player minutes after 9 games, compared to last year:

Starters with increased minutes:
    Rip (+2.1) 37.4 this year, 35.3 last year
    Tay (+0.6) 35.9 this year, 35.3 last year

Starters with reduced minutes:
    CB (-0.4) 35.7 this year, 36.1 last year
    Sheed (-0.3) 34.4 this year, 34.7 last year

Key returning reserves:
    Dyess (-0.3) 20.9 this year, 21.2 last year
    Delfino (+4.0) 14.7 this year, 10.7 last year

New guys:
    Nazr (+3.6) 21.0 this year, 17.4 last year with SAN
    Murray (-14.5) 22.2 this year, 36.7 last year with CLE

Observations:
    • Pistons are trying to replace 35.2 minutes per game from Ben and 14.2 minutes per game from Mo Evans (49.7 total)
    • Nazr and Murray are covering 43.2 of those minutes
    • The other 6 minutes have basically been covered by Rip (+2) and Delfino (+4)
    • Maxiel has received 10+ minutes in 5 games and has 2 DNP-CD
  11. BillLaimbeer

Actually, Hunter is averaging 20 mpg the last 4 games.
  12. max

max All-Star

I did not realize. Probably because he missed half the games it seemed less.

I welcome Hunter getting back to regular bench minutes. Payton is 39 and still playing.
  13. BillLaimbeer

As long as Hunter doesn't get too caught up in his own scoring, he can be quite effective. Sometimes, he takes unnecessary risks on defense, too. He sure provided some much needed energy against the Wizards. Not bad for an old man...