Tommy Amaker Fired

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by bezeach, Mar 17, 2007.

1. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

After six seasons as Michigan's basketball coach, Tommy Amaker has been fired, SI.com has confirmed.
    His sixth season ended Thursday night with a 87-66 loss at Florida State in the second-tier tournament, finishing 22-13.
    Amaker, who declined to immediately comment more to The Associated Press, said it was fair to expect the Wolverines to reach the NCAA tournament before last season started. They ended up playing in the NIT for the third time in four years.
    Link: SI.com - NCAA Basketball - Amaker fired as Michigan hoops coach - Saturday March 17, 2007 2:33PM
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

They should have fired Carr, too, and made it a package deal.
  4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Well, Tommy Amaker is a saint and Lloyd Carr is a rock, but we all know that the coach is always the fall guy.

I think the Michigan players have failed Tommy Amaker, but it's hard to be a man in a boy's world.
  5. ggazoo69

Not if they have Bo Shembechler in their corner. Then it's the offensive and defensive coordinators who are the fall guys.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Stout observation on this St. Patrick's Day. RIP Bo...
  7. ggazoo69

Candidates rumored to be in the running for the job include Kentucky's Tubby Smith, Tennessee's Bruce Pearl, Arkansas' Stan Heath, and Todd Lickliter, whose Butler team beat Maryland on Saturday to advance to the Sweet 16. Longshot candidates might include Marquette's Tom Crean, Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery, Winthrop's Gregg Marshall.

Would love to get Tubby in Ann Arbor. Good resume, and he's probably sick of the fickle UK fans.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Don't hold your breath on getting Tubby, gazoo. He's a stubborn guy, and I really don't think he'll ever leave UK just because a vocal part of the fan base has gone sour on him.

Amaker was the next hope for UM after having some success at Seton Hall, but if you don't make the NCAAs six years running, there's not much to be said for keeping the coach around.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tommy was to nice. i never saw him yell at players or officials. In fact the only time I saw him standing was during time outs. His style was to slow it down and play defense, but they took to long looking for shots passing around the perimeter until someone had to hoist a bad 3. If the opposition thru up a zone, then they would panic would giveup big run and be out of game just like that. Courtney Sims never developed in the middle and the careers on Dion Harris and Lester Abram were ruined playing there the last couple of years.

Turtleneck Tommy teams got their 20 wins the last two seasons, but most of the wins were against EMU, CMU, WMU and other smaller in state schools as well as other midwest schools that had never seen the tournament either. Most of those wins were in the aging Crisler Arena ands seldom did they show up for road games. They won the NIT Title in 04, played in the NIT title game in 2006, but couldn't get those quality wins to get in the big dance.

I think the Xavier coach might be a good choice replace him, but that Crisler Arena is the same joint I saw Ricky Green, Joel Thompson, Tom Staton and Phil Hubbard play in 30 years ago. If they build a new one, recruits will come....
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Crisler might be a dump, but teams aren't built around arenas. Think about the Bad Boys in their formative years playing in what has to be one of the worst NBA venues ever.

Truth is, UM basketball has been thru a s$#% storm that has it's roots with Frieder & Cweb and is still in recovery mode all these years later. Prospective recruits know that. A shiny new arena won't help more than just a little.
  11. ggazoo69

And don't forget Steve Fisher among those that should be implicated in UM's downfall. Dude wasn't minding the store at all. There's a reason Fish never went on to coach at a bigger school (or even a commensurate school) after helping UM win an NCAA tourney and recruiting the Fab Five.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

When you are not allowed in the NCAA tourney, it's very hard to recruit the kids that can play at that level. Even though the suspensions have been over for a few years, the glory days of the Fab Five are approaching ancient history for today's high school senior.

I don't know much about Amaker as a coach, so I can't really judge his performance. If Michigan wants to be competitive again, they need a big name coach, maybe a state of the art facility, and a ramped up, well oiled recruiting machine: e.g. Rick Pitino in Louisville.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I remember that when Pitino was deciding where he would return to when he was going back to college ball, I was at UM, and the school paper had someone saying they had a source who insisted that Pitino was "70% likely" to choose Michigan. My reaction to that was, "um, I think that 30% is looking a lot more likely," which of course is how it turned out.

One problem with getting a big name basketball guy to come to UM is that it'll always be a football school. Of course, football schools can win 'ships in basketball, as UM did and as Florida is currently demonstrating, but few (if any) really big-time established college hoops coaches are going to choose to coach at a football school. Billy Donovan went to Florida as a young up-and-comer--his only head coaching job had been at Marshall.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

You are absolutely right. One thing that Pitino brings to the college game is recruiting.

When he tookover at Louisville, their team was mostly kids from Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and maybe Missouri.

Since Rick showed up, they have kids from all over the country and the even the world playing for them.
  15. ggazoo69

Gotta love Izzo. His comments on the Amaker firing (from detnews):

"Not to take a knock at anybody, but administrations better look at, (if) they want coaches to perform miracles, then administrations have to do the same. I’m not sure in fairness to him, after the mess he took over, that was done.
    “I feel bad for him as a coach, I feel bad for him as a friend. I feel bad for our profession that guys with 20 wins are getting fired in programs that I don’t think they stressed basketball there. I’ll be open for shots, but you asked me a question, I gave you an answer.”