1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Todd Jones : Trade?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Jun 25, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not a baseball afficionado, so please help a guy out.

I understand that as the playoffs approach, teams become buyers and sellers. I've heard talk of trading Jones, possibly to a contender.

If the Tigers fancy themselves as a contender, why would they trade Jones?

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I think they would only trade him if they felt Zumaya could handle the closing duties. But the bad thing about trading Jones is they would have to find someone to replace him in the bullpen. Jones is still a quality arm. A small majority on the detnews board still feel Jones should be the closer.

Jones would be hard to trade. I think he's at 2 years, $8 million per. I wouldn't want him at that money. Classic overspending on this deal, which the Tigers have had to do the past few seasons.

Some people were talking about trading Jones - myself included - because he doesn't have an "out" pitch or a third pitch. If you only throw two pitches, most hitters can guess what's coming based on the pitch count. He's been ineffective lately and some feel he can't get it back because of a lack of a third pitch.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think if Zumaya had another year under his belt trading Jones would be a good option... the other concern is if Z or Rodney got injured.
    At least Jones has been in the playoffs before ... playoffs :^)

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks guys. Like I said, I don't really follow baseball and it usually takes a couple seasons to pick up on the players and the nuances of how the leagues work.

I am kicking butt in my fantasy league though. I'm a good "diamond in the rough" GM.

5. #1Burn02

#1Burn02 Second Round Draft Pick

I thought Zoom should've started all season at the closer role. Ever since I heard this guy on 1130am back in April say that he was gonna be a beast and a real special player.

When T Jones comes in my butt hole clinches a little :) because you just know he's gonna let someone reach base and give us all a scare.

6. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Some people have been speculating that Detoit will trade Jones for a left handed hitter which Detroit wants for the second part of the season. Jones has been struggling anyways, an E.R.A. of over 6.00! I would put Rodney/Zumaya as the closer, at least they can throw 100 MPH

7. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Rodney's ERA over the past 10 games or so is over 10. He's really slumping. Zumaya has lost us a couple games lately as well. As much as Jones isn't the answer, Z and Rodney aren't ready yet.

8. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

As contending "buyers", the Tigers would only be trading with "sellers". Sellers wouldn't be interested in Jones. They're interested in trading away veterans for prospects.

The Tigers won't be trading Jones, though some of their fans would like them to. Todd is no Mariano Rivera. He was a marginal middle reliever until an injury put him in the closer role for Florida last year and he did very well. Rodney and Zumaya have had their moments, good and bad, as has Jones.

The Braves are now in the thick of the wide open wild card race in the NL, so any talk of them trading John Smoltz is most likely off. He was the one guy I could see who might supplant Jones as Tigers closer, though not in a trade for Jones.