Today's Piston Pieces 8/2/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 2, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Green 'rooting' for Coach Kuester
    Freep - Vince Ellis

"Philadelphia 76ers guard Willie Green[​IMG], the former Detroit Cooley and Detroit Mercy standout, knows Kuester from when he was an assistant in Philly during the 2005-06 season.

Green's face lights up when Kuester is mentioned.

"He's a good coach and a well-known guy around the league," said Green, who was in town last week for his annual basketball camp. "I'm happy for him to get the job, and I'm rooting for him.

"But when we play them, we still want to beat them, though."

Green 'rooting' for Coach Kuester | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Will Bynum; cover boy
    Pistonsnation

"Huge props in the direction of Austin Burton for his awesome cover story on Pistons’ guard Will “The Thrill” Bynum in the latest issue of Bounce magazine.
    Bounce caught up with Will in the Windy City, a place where hoops fans already know what NBA fans got a little taste of last season. They touch on some very interesting topics like how Will honed his game all over the city of Chicago, the significance of his “Thrill” nickname, how going overseas polished his point-guard game, and how he plans to always return to Chi in the summers to hold it down for all the young hoops hopefuls."

PistonsNationBlog.com » Blog Archive » Will Bynum; cover boy

"+title+"

CELTICS NOTEBOOK: Opening night meeting with Cavaliers on tap?
    Patriot Ledger.com - Jim Fenton

Davis update:

"Glen Davis, who remains a restricted free agent, apparently won’t be signing an offer sheet with the Detroit Pistons this summer.

The Pistons were one of the teams interested in Davis, who spent two seasons with the Celtics, but their recent signing of free-agent forward Chris Wilcox would seem to put an end to that.

Once Davis signs an offer sheet, the Celtics will have seven days to decide whether they will match. The Celtics will probably retain Davis, unless he is given the mid-level exception of about $5.8 million per season.

The New Jersey Nets were rumored to be interested in Davis, but they have not made an offer.

There are also reports that the Cavaliers have inquired about free-agent forward Leon Powe, who began his career by playing three seasons with the Celtics.

Powe underwent major knee surgery last spring and is not expected to return until the middle of the season. The Celtics failed to make him a qualifying offer, allowing Powe to become an unrestricted free agent."

CELTICS NOTEBOOK: Opening night meeting with Cavaliers on tap? - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

Charity game brings out fans for memories, charities
    LimaOhio.com - Jim Naveau

“In the summer there is no basketball going on. For us basketball junkies, this is pretty awesome. We just wanted to have something for the community and, at the same time, donate a portion of the proceeds to charities,” he said.

The charities benefiting from the game are the Lima Family YMCA, United Way, Drugs Bring Death, The Upthegrove Family Enrichment Center and Phillippians Four and 13 sports ministries.

Some of the players in the game included Travis Walton, Greg Tyson Jr., Ivory Austin, Rodney Towles and Adam Stolly. Former Penn State standout Jamelle Cornley, a friend of Walton’s, watched the game.

Walton, a three-year captain who helped Michigan State to the runner-up spot in the NCAA tournament this year, said his next basketball stop will be playing professionally in Switzerland, starting in late August.

He was on the Detroit Pistons summer league team in the NBA summer league in Las Vegas last month. Even though he didn’t get into any of the games, he said being on the Pistons roster was a good experience.

“It was a good learning experience, I learned a lot. I got to be around a lot of NBA players. It was good to meet them and interact with them and get a good feel for how they play.”

Walton says he will play point guard exclusively in Switzerland. “Playing point guard is good for me to get back to my natural position. At Michigan State I never really had a position. I was at the 1-guard, the 2-guard, I played all over.”

Charity game brings out fans for memories, charities | game, brings, memories - Top Stories - LimaOhio.com

Michigan Sports Hall of Fame sidelined by debt
    JOHN WISELY • FREE PRESS

"Its roster includes some of the biggest winners in local sports history, but the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame inside Cobo Center has become such a financial loser that some longtime backers worry it could go bust.

The situation has gotten so bad that on July 24, former Pistons coach, hall member and board Chairman Ray Scott resigned, citing philosophical differences with the hall's executive director, James Stark, who also has come under fire from other board and hall members.

Three other board members, including Douglas Bernstein, a bankruptcy lawyer who served on the board for the past 14 months, also resigned July 24. Bernstein said he was troubled to learn that the state Attorney General's Office is investigating the hall over its finances: Tax returns have not been filed, as required by state law, in at least three years."

Michigan Sports Hall of Fame sidelined by debt | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Top Five Eastern Confrence Benches
    T.O.Sports - Micheal Malcolm

"Most contenders have to rely on their depth in order to avoid the pitfalls that come with contending for a championship. Despite the changing NBA landscape where the gap in between the contenders and pretenders are growing, depth still plays a key role in winning it all.

So I am choosing to base the top five benches off of these factors: Ability to play with the starting unit, overall talent level, players that could start for most teams, and understanding of their roles\specialties within their system. Without further ado Our Top 5 Benches in the East (of course in my opinion)

Honorable Mention: Detroit Pistons

The Pistons are very similar to the Bucks with the overall depth for their bench. However since the Pistons don’t even have a full roster as of today’s date I can’t comment however a potential bench of Will Bynum, Ben Gordon, Charlie V. and Chris Wilcox is certainly a great start."

Top Five Eastern Confrence Benches : T.O. Sports

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

CV on the bench? So this guy thinks Max is our starting PF? Sheesh.

3. lifeondumars

lifeondumars Second Round Draft Pick

So according to Malcolm our starting front court consists of Kwame Brown and Maxiell? Wallace provided we sign him?? Jerebko??

Somebody knock Malcolm over the head with a leafblower, he deserves it.

4. lifeondumars

lifeondumars Second Round Draft Pick

Oh the madness!! Apparently TO Sports publishes a magazine as well. Gee whiz. Bet that's a hoot.

5. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I'm glad to see something positive towards the guy. Him being a first year guy, a lot of people are going to throw dirt towards the guy. I on the other hand, I'm going to wait and see how he reacts to situations on the floor, plays, and what he's going to do with the line-up and how well he's going to with the defense lack of the team before I throw dirt at him.

6. max

max All-Star

It's a good situation for him. He is not starting out behind the 8-ball like the other 2 guys. Fresh start with mostly new players, plus he was on the 04 team for those remaining who need something to respect.