Today's Piston Pieces 7/31/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tip-Off Timer: '89 Detroit Pistons

Tip-Off Timer counts down the days until the first game of the 2009-10 season. On Thursday, there were exactly 89 days left.

The Detroit Pistons won their first NBA championship in 1989, sweeping the Los Angeles Lakers to avenge a devastating Game 7 loss in the Finals the year before. A lot of people say the rough and tumble Detroit Bad Boys were a black stain on the NBA, ending the fan-friendly reign of Magic and Kareem's Showtime Lakers while opening the door for the slow-down and slug-it-out style of play that plagued the league for much of the next decade.

And, OK, sure, a lot of people are probably right.

Tip-Off Timer: '89 Detroit Pistons -- NBA FanHouse
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

Pistons Mailbag
    NBA.com - Keith Langlois

"Rob (Farmington, Mich.): I’m dying to find out what’s going on with Big Ben. Do you have any up-to-date word on whether or not he will sign with the Pistons?

Langlois: Rob, you’re representing dozens of questioners curious about Big Ben. It’s probably the likeliest move left for the Pistons. That doesn’t mean it’s inevitable, but it seems pretty clear that returning to the Pistons is Big Ben’s preference at this point. There’s no urgency to strike a deal, necessarily, since Wallace knows all the Pistons have to offer is a veteran’s minimum contract. If I had to guess, I’d say I believe it will happen.

Stephen (Clarkston, Mich.): Who is going to play backup power forward behind Villanueva? Right now it looks like it’s going to be Jason Maxiell, but shouldn’t we be playing Daye at that spot? I’d rather give playing time to a high-potential player that could be a star one day than keeping giving playing time to a player who appears to be on the decline.

Langlois: Maxiell got caught up in the wash of all the lineup changes last season, but he’s 26 – he’s not on the decline. He’s still regarded highly around the league, too. He’s always going to be a little undersized and limited as a rebounder because of it, but he plays solid post defense and can be a monster offensive rebounder and an asset in transition for his ability to run and finish on lob passes. As for Daye over Maxiell, the Pistons aren’t going into this season planning on using it as a proving grounds for young players, but with an eye toward making the playoffs and being a dangerous opponent when they get there. Daye didn’t even play much power forward in Las Vegas this summer. He’ll be used mostly at small forward, most likely, until he can add enough functional strength to avoid being overpowered in the post.

Rami (Madison Heights, Mich.): You said trading Rip is unlikely. We have a new coach and a new offense. My question is if Rip did get traded, do you think we could just re-sign Iverson? He would be another point guard and a shooting guard who could possibly start.

Langlois: Rami, I keep getting questions about Iverson, including some who want to know if the Pistons are going to trade him by the end of the summer. Iverson can’t be traded. He’s a free agent. The Pistons have no more rights to his services than any of the 29 other teams. But you can also bank on this: He’s not coming back to the Pistons next season. "

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag - Thursday, July 30, 2009

Joe Dumars plans to add at least one more post player
    Detroit News - Terry Foster

"Dumars said the team wants to keep its options open before making a final decision.

"Ben Wallace is someone we're discussing, but no decision has been made," Dumars said Thursday via text message.

Wallace (6-foot-9), 35 next month, has expressed interest in returning to the Pistons, for whom he played from 2000-2006. He left after signing a four-year, $60 million free-agent contract with the Chicago Bulls. Wallace was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers but was released after the season and remains an unrestricted free agent able to sign with any team. The Pistons and Wallace have been in contact; no deal has been offered.

The Pistons seem to have soured on Boston Celtics center Glen Davis (6-9). The Celtics say they will match any offer up to $5.3 million, and the Pistons cannot offer that type of cash without working a sign-and-trade or getting a third team involved. Power forward Joe Smith (6-10) is a good shooter as a big man and could be signed along with Celtics power forward Leon Powe, who is not expected to play until February because of a knee injury.

Former Piston Terry Mills has studied the landscape of big men and said the pickings are slim. He predicts Wallace will return to the Pistons unless they work a major trade, which he said is not likely."

Joe Dumars plans to add at least one more post player | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Charlie Bell: Villanueva's talents will propel him to greatness
    Freep - Vince Ellis

"Bell, a standout at Michigan State who plays for the Milwaukee Bucks, thinks his former teammate is just scratching the surface of his talents.

"He can do a lot of things," Bell said Wednesday after his round in the pro-am at the Buick Open. "I think he really doesn't realize yet.

"He can put the ball on the floor. He can shoot it. He's a great athlete. Once he puts it together, knows when to score, when to put it on the floor and how to make his teammates better, he'll really be a great player."

And that's what the Pistons are counting on. At age 24, Villanueva is coming off the best of his four seasons for the Bucks with 16.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game."

Charlie Bell: Villanueva's talents will propel him to greatness | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press-

Detroit Piston tidbits around the league
    Mlive - Dave Dile

"But after getting Jerebko up to speed, and with Dumars and his staff and coaches eager to get long looks at all three 2009 draftees since all are ticketed for the 15-man roster, the Pistons moved Jerebko into the starting lineup - at center, flanked by Summers and Daye. That took a little getting used to for Jerebko, who has played small forward for nearly all of his life, including this year in the Italian pro league.

But over the course of his time in Las Vegas, Jerebko left an impression for his athleticism, fearlessness and hustle, and the Pistons came back more convinced than ever that the 6-foot-10 Swede - whose father, Chris, played at Syracuse for Jim Boeheim before a professional career in Sweden, where he met his wife and chose to live - had a bright NBA future."

"A lot of times you have guys who are categorized as energy guys who may not be skilled," Pistons vice president Scott Perry said. "But Jonas has skills. At that four position, he can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. He showed an ability to use both his left and right hands around the basket. From that mid-range on in, he's effective at shooting the basketball."

Detroit Piston tidbits around the league - Full-Court Press

Tip-Off Timer: '89 Detroit Pistons
    Fan House - Matt Watson

"The Detroit Pistons won their first NBA championship in 1989, sweeping the Los Angeles Lakers to avenge a devastating Game 7 loss in the Finals the year before. A lot of people say the rough and tumble Detroit Bad Boys were a black stain on the NBA, ending the fan-friendly reign of Magic and Kareem's Showtime Lakers while opening the door for the slow-down and slug-it-out style of play that plagued the league for much of the next decade.

And, OK, sure, a lot of people are probably right.

But to dismiss the Pistons of the late 80s and early 90s as just a bunch of thugs is to overlook some of the greatest players and minds this game has ever seen. Four members of that organization eventually made their way to the Basketball Hall of Fame, including the starting backcourt of Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars as well as head coach Chuck Daly, recently dubbed by Sporting News as one of the 50 greatest coaches in the history of sports, and owner Bill Davidson.

And while those four are enshrined in Springfield, Ma. forever, the rest of the team was incredibly deep, as well. Bill Laimbeer, a four-time All-Star, is still one of the most hated men in the NBA, and Rick Mahorn, his big-bootied partner in crime, was just as ready to mix things up. Vinnie Johnson was a dynamic sixth-man who could have started elsewhere but valued winning more than minutes."

Tip-Off Timer: '89 Detroit Pistons -- NBA FanHouse

The Dish
    NBA.Com - David Aldridge

"To be sure, Lee is in a Catch-22. Several teams have expressed an interest in acquiring Lee, but have been reluctant to make him an offer because they expect that the Knicks would match those offers. Yet the Knicks won't offer Lee a multi-year deal in order to preserve their flexibility for next summer. It's left the 26-year-old Lee, who finished third in the league in rebounding (11.7 per game) last season, frustrated. He sat out last week's USA Basketball mini camp in Las Vegas because he didn't want to risk injury while unsigned.

He told ESPN.com, "Going forward, I thought I could still be a big piece of the puzzle--and it's not as though I'm looking for a max contract, or talking about either me or LeBron (James). I thought it was something where we could get something done and they'd still have more than enough left over for what they wanted in the future, but apparently there's some disagreement about that--just on how the Knicks want to move forward. And I think at this point they're not completely sure what they're going to do and how they want to proceed."

But now, all the teams that had cap room and were willing to use it this summer--most prominently, Detroit and Portland--have moved forward. The Pistons signed Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and Chris Wilcox; the Trail Blazers signed free agent guard Andre Miller last week."

NBA.com: DA's Dish: Knicks Interested in Sessions

Ben Wallace (and Terry Mills?!) Update
    Detroit Bad Boys - Matt Watson

"Long before Ben Wallace ever suited up for the Pistons, I was a huge Terry Mills fan. In my head (I was young and naive) I kind of considered him to be the heir to Bill Laimbeer. And he was, in a way; not in the “tough as nails, I’ll rip your heart out” kind of way, but certainly in the “I’m far too tall to be shooting this many three-pointers” tradition.

In any case, Mills fell out of the public eye when he retired; I’d heard he was still living in the Detroit area, but I’ve never seen him make his way out to the Palace for a game. Apparently, though, Terry Foster of the Detroit News kept in touch, because he reached out to Mills to get his thoughts on Detroit’s free agent options."

Ben Wallace (and Terry Mills?!) update | Detroit Bad Boys

3. G-man

G-man Starter

First Cup: Friday
    True Hoop - Espn

"Charlie Bell has a few words for those who question the Pistons for signing forward Charlie Villanueva. Bell, a standout at Michigan State who plays for the Milwaukee Bucks, thinks his former teammate is just scratching the surface of his talents. 'He can do a lot of things,' Bell said Wednesday after his round in the pro-am at the Buick Open. 'I think he really doesn't realize yet. 'He can put the ball on the floor. He can shoot it. He's a great athlete. Once he puts it together, knows when to score, when to put it on the floor and how to make his teammates better, he'll really be a great player.' And that's what the Pistons are counting on." [​IMG]

First Cup: Friday - TrueHoop By Henry Abbott - ESPN
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

What is John Kuester Doing Right%Now? - Motown String Music

For our players to be able to feel comfortable and feel good about what they are on the basketball court, communication’s gonna be a huge thing and that’s something that I have a relationship with Rip, I have a relationship with Tayshaun, I’ve pretty much been out to dinner with two thirds of the team right now. That’s what we’re doing right at this stage is meeting with people, making sure we form a relationship that’s gonna be special.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Sounds good. Now, bring it on.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

We're hoping that many young players on the roster continue their development and ascend among the ranks of NBA players. We're hoping the same for our new coach. That just hasn't happened around here in awhile.