1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Time to get serious about evaluating prospects at #9

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 12, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Piston fans, in general, have been very patient. There has been no public outcry for Dumars' ousting.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Last evening, the sun disappeared below the horizon..........and I spent all night wondering where it went.........then it dawned on me. :)

pass99 and brofmfa like this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's bad enough that Jared Sullinger had to cancel his airline ticket to NYC a week before the draft, but Stephen A Smith just roasted him on ESPN calling him marginal at best and his rep is based on playing for a big time national power collegiate program.

He said he can only bang, but can't finish. I know his back is bad, but SAS says "even if his back was healthy, he has no business being mentioned in the lottery discussion because the words marginal and lottery don't mix"....talking about hurting a kids feelings....

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

linwood and Mogilny like this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Did he make the top 10?!?!? This might be so close it depends on if you count years and days or just days!!!

6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I guess this means we also are looking at guards and not only big men anymore. Waiters, Rivers, Lamb, Lillard and Rivers are now options to add to the list.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hope so.
    The Pistons have waaaaay too many needs to be looking at specific positions. They need assets.
    Joe should be looking at PLAYERS rather than merely looking at Cs or PFs.

KGREG likes this.
  8. MSU.Prodigy

MSU.Prodigy Second Round Draft Pick

Drafting the best available at #9 is going to be a hard choice: go with a raw bigman with a high upside or a more well-rounded guard? Besides the obvious options of trading down or trading up (both of which have a low probability of happening) we have to factor in the fact that we no longer have our 2013 pick and the relative shortage of quality big men who we can hope to attract. This means that we really are pigeon-holed into taking a big-man. Now with the 9th pick, I'm advocating we go the safer approach rather than going for a "steal." I'm still super bitter about Darko and all of these other unproven big men who just ooze upisde.

From looking at all the big men who are likely to fall to us at the 9th spot I'll include: Henson, Zeller, Leonard, Moultrie, and Perry Jones. Drummond and Sullinger with * because I don't think Drummond will be on the board by the time we pick and Sullinger's red flag means a 9 pick would be "wasted" if Sullinger is likely to be picked late-first round.

I'll break down how I feel about each player here (both analysis and rating from 1-10, 10 being highest:

1. Henson - Henson's positive workout suprised me a little because I am very low on Henson. Ever since his wrist injury, I kept on thinking about how it all started with Greg Oden's wrist with Ohio State. Now there is no concrete evidence that Henson's wrist injury is a systemic injury, but it really bothers me. Also the fact that he shot 50% from the line and that he still needs to develop his body are both red flags.

4/10

2. Zeller - If only we were talking about Cody :D. Anyway Zeller is a what you see is what you get kinda player. He works pretty hard on both ends and being a 4 year player for Williams defintely earns him some props from me. I feel that Zeller is a safe enough pick if he's on the board just because hes a solid big man who rebounds well and doesn't shoot abysmally from the free throw line. I feel that Zeller could be more successful than hansborogh in the NBA and be a career 10/10 guy easily.

7.5/10

3. Leonard - He's raw, but kid's got a nice body, shoots a solid 70% from the FT line, and has good upside. Seems like a slam-dunk pick, but he's raw. He's rather mechanical and there's a decent chance he may be a bust. To be honset, even if his upside his pretty high, I don't see him being a dominant big to the point where the risk>return.

4/10

4. Moultrie - I like Moultrie. Moultire likes the Pistons. Win-Win-Win. Not to sound biased, but boy can board, shoot FT's, defend, and score. He knows that he might be a little bit of a stretch pick at 9, but hey can you blame him for knowing his value? I am very very high on him, but the only problem is he worth the 9th pick? Even if he isn't I can't seem him falling lower than 12/13 and I think the Pistons have a relatively low risk pick with Moultire and the guy WANTS to play for the pistons. I don't care if he's BSing, I'd rather have him come 100% motivated from day one than some other more talented big.

9/10 - would be 10/10 if we could trade down and still get him

5. Perry Jones - Blah - so much said negatively about his motor, his drive. He's raw too. Could he turn into a Josh Smith or even Blake Griffin -esque player? Sure, but not worth the risk at all.

2/10

6. Drummond - I really want to pick this guy if he falls to us. So much potential just wating to be utilized with only the 9th pick! But too much risk. And as you can tell, I strongly feel that the pistons should be risk adverse. Even if Joe works Drummond out himself and is 100% sure Drummond is a stud, I would still have heavy reservations. Then again, no risk no reward. If we can get Drummond and we do draft him, I will be ok, but not happy. Even if he turns out to be a stud, there's a little part of me that feels like he's gonna be a huge bust :(.

5.1/10

7. Sullinger - Pre- red flag I woulda given him a lot of consideration: Big-Ten athelete who dominated a lot of competition and showed drive even though he does have some attitude issues. Know that we know about his problems I would still have no problems picking him up if we traded down. He's defintely gonna have a big chip on his shoulder no matter where he gets picked. If he should fall all the way to the 2nd round, Joe needs to pull the trigger.

*/10 10/10 if we can pick him up with the 2nd round pick

TLDR: must pick big man. Moultrie, Zeller safest and best picks IMO. Too many risks with others. If drummond does fall picking him up would be a huge boom or bust and I dont' want to gamble

coynejeremy, Mogilny and basketbills like this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wasn't Sac high on John Henson? Would they consider a deal where they send us Garcia and the 5th pick fot Tay and the 9th pick? I'd LOVE to add MKG to this roster, him and JJ on the floor together would be a HUGE force of energy. Also Garcia is essentially an expiring deal, so that'd free up another $3.5M in cap space in 2013, meaning we'd have over $30M available (assuming CG goes bye-bye).

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

First off, WELCOME to the forum man! Glad to have you and your insights. Keep posting!
    It's a crap-shoot regarding which of the guys being considered at #9 are gonna be good or busts. From all that I've read and researched, there really isn't a clear cut way to go.

Oh, and we will absolutely have our 2013 pick.
    The pick is lottery-protected next year and I just don't see any way possible that the Pistons WON'T be in the lottery. I'm not sure what the 2013 draft class will look like but the Pistons will be involved.

There are very few ways that our Pistons could even think about being a playoff team next year:
    1. No less than 4 Pistons battle it out for the NBA's most improved player award next season.
    2. The Pistons luck-out and draft the guy who ultimately becomes the NBA rookie of the year.
    3. A natural diaster strikes the hotel where the Eastern Conference All-Star team is staying, killing all members.
    4. One or 2 more trades occur that highly favor the Pistons.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

5. The clueless coach simply plays the correct rotations.

BallDon'tLie and coynejeremy like this.
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agreed, MKG is a favorite of mine as well. High character, great work ethic, competitive drive, all about winning...Joe's description of the type of player he likes, Mike fits that to a T. Plus, Lawrence Frank wants his team to run, and that's where Mike's defense and his ability to finish well come in. Don't know if SAC would do that trade, though. Their owners are essentially broke, and Tay's contract is a pretty long one for such an old guy. Depends on if they value "veteran leadership", I guess.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Simmons and Chad Ford got me excited about Michael KG in their piece today. He did not do the same when it came to the Pistons.
    Welcome to the fourth showdown between two guys who care about the NBA more than you do - Grantland

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Come on now, Bill. The thread title says "Time to get serious". That is never going to happen.

15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Eh, that trade could go either way. It gave us a bit of flexibility, ensuring we don't lose any guy we want to keep at the very least. If we make the playoffs at some point within the next two years, it's a win for us, especially if its a midrange pick in the weak 2013 draft. No unbiased person can conclusively say it was a trade that shows we've "hit rock bottom" by any means, it all depends on what that pick becomes/what Joe does with his upcoming Capp Spayce/Maggette's expiring. And the last time MJ "beat" Joe in a trade was the Rip for Stackhouse deal, but MJ didn't even make this one, his GM did. Simmons needs to shove it, what an ass.
    As for MKG, they're right to a point, but the "He's friends with Kyrie!" bit need not be taken into account, as Barnes can claim the same thing, plus Cleveland was reportedly planning to take him 4th last year. Irving is a social butterfly who's friends with everyone, anyway.

coynejeremy likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I am starting to think we take Sullinger.

My bet is that Drummond doesn't fall. Simmons, douche that he is, is right here. Who the hell wants John Henson? The guy is skinnier than TP. That isn't good.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How bout Chad Ford's the "Pistons are screwed....." draft prognosis?

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Slippy likes this.
  19. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sticked to what I said before.

Drummond, If not, Henson or Leonard.

Sullinger Sucks, Moultrie has no defense, ZERO defense, and I can see Zeller averaging 5 personal fouls per game.

20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Chad Ford can go kick rocks. I'm really holding back here, but his opinion (which was closer to derision) is utter rubbish. The only thing that I will give him is that the pick at 9 is a seriously hard decision.

I don't think the Pistons are going to win a title next year. Let's just get that out of the way. This team needs serious work, but it has shown signs of brilliance.

There are 3 major team needs so far as I can see.

1 - Someone to play with Monroe. I don't care if they are big, back to basket, dominant athletes, or light footed 18ft face up forwards. I want a skilled forward to pair with him to utilise his passing game from the low and high post. If he is draw and dishing alley's or 15ft spot ups, its all irrelevant to me. I don't like Henson. He is too skinny. He might be able to block a guard with those wacky wavy inflatable arm's, but he simply doesn't have the strength to effectively challenge dunks, or to rebound in a really meaningful way.
    2 - We need perimeter defenders. I'll give Knight a pass here because of his age, but Stuckey? By god. In front of the player mate, not patting his ass during his layups practice. Prince is still decent, but he isn't as quick as he used to be. Those infinite arms still help though.
    3 - We need some heart. I think part of the love for Moose, BK and JJ is because they are always working hard. Why not add to that? Working hard is contagious. And it is for this reason, if MKG ever falls to 9 (impossible) we have to take him. He is a true competitor.

I have been thinking about the whole BPA v filling needs thing. The reality is, that we can use almost anyone out of the the top 10 with the exception of Lillard. Yes we have to many SF's, but its not like any of them are untradeable.

If I could have anyone out of this draft, with the exception of Davis. I would take Robinson, every single time.

Nemo and BallDon'tLie like this.