Time to get serious about evaluating prospects at #9

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 12, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

It's about time to start getting serious about evaluating/discussing prospects for the #9 pick isn't it?

Say what you will about him, but year in and year out Chad Ford seems to be the most tapped in of the NBA Mock Drafters, so I'll use his latest mock as a guideline..

Likely gone big men - Anthony Davis (#1), Thomas Robinson (#5), Andre Drummond (#6), Terrence Jones (#7)
    Likely gone wings/guards - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (#2), Bradley Beal (#3), Harrison Barnes (#4), Dion Waiters (#8)

There's always an outside chance that a wing, even a two, even a point that we just can't pass on (ala Brandon Knight) falls into our hands, but I'm going to go ahead and just focus on big men here..and I'm going to list them in the order of m[FONT=Calibri]y preference.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][U][B]Me[/B][/U][FONT=Calibri][U][B]yers Leonard[/B][/U] - Far and awa[FONT=Calibri]y m[FONT=Calibri]y favorite prospect of this group, and it's not even close. For the life of me, I can't understand wh[FONT=Calibri]y he's so lowl[FONT=Calibri]y regarded. The main knock on him seems to be that he wasn't consistent. But in the games of his that I saw, I'd sa[FONT=Calibri]y that's on the former idiot coach of Illinois. LEGIT center size and length. Terrific athlete. Good inside scorer. Good mid-range game. Good moves. Good passer. Smart pla[FONT=Calibri]yer. Good rebounder. Good shot blocker. Alwa[FONT=Calibri]ys in position. Ver[FONT=Calibri]y quick. Runs the court well. Pla[FONT=Calibri]ys tough. I think he's the one gu[FONT=Calibri]y on this list with legit all-star potential. If Bruce Weber wasn't such an idiot, he might be the #2 overall pick. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][U][B]Jared Sullinger[/B][/U] - I'd be happ[FONT=Calibri]y to add Sullinger. 270lb big mad would add some much needed size. He's a reall[FONT=Calibri]y refined scorer with a lot of skill and moves. Smart pla[FONT=Calibri]yer. Seems hard-working enough. Seems to have some desire. Coach's son. Don't think there's much bust potential. Sort of like an Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer t[FONT=Calibri]ype. He's just such a poor athlete, and [FONT=Calibri]you wonder how that will translate? Not going to help [FONT=Calibri]you out much defensivel[FONT=Calibri]y, other than positioning himself correctl[FONT=Calibri]y and boxing out. Will his shots constantl[FONT=Calibri]y be blocked? I saw Sullinger pla[FONT=Calibri]y about a dozen times at OSU. And there is just something unsettling about him at times. He dissapeared in games and never dominated like he should have been able to. I wouldn't mind adding him, and I'd rather have him than these others listed below..but I wonder for sure. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    roscoe36 and Slippy like this.
  2. blueadams

Arnett Moultrie - I wish I would have seen him play more. His scouting reports sound arguably the best to me. I love natural threes that grow into legit four's. Great athlete. Great defender. Great rebounder. Some offensive skills and talents. Don't know much about his intangibles having not really seen him play though.

Perry Jones III - Total hit or miss. Phenomenal athlete. Legit PF size. Legit SF athleticism. Formerly thought of as a possible #1 overall pick. Never really got it together in college. Probably never will in the league either. Still, I like him more than Henson. And that says a lot about Henson. Because I don't really like him.
    roscoe36 and Slippy like this.
  3. blueadams

John Henson - The good? He's 6-10 with a 7'4" wingspan. He's a phenomenal athlete. He's probably going to be a great shot-blocker in the NBA. He was a great rebounder in college (will he have the strength to be in the NBA?). His scouting report makes you think that he might be the heir apparent to Ben Wallace that we've been looking for since 06'. The bad? Nothing else about him reminds you of Ben Wallace. Tayshaun/Charlie-V/Daye skinny and soft at 216 lbs. Don't think we need another player like that at all. Real small shoulders make you think that he's never going to be able to put on much weight. Seems like a pretty disinterested player. Doesn't seem to have that edge or desire to win. Doesn't seem tough at all. Doesn't strike me as a real hard worker that's going to improve a great deal on his own. I personally think that he's just going to get tossed around by good NBA bigs. And really, no offensive game to speak of whatsoever other than occassional fast-break buckets, easy put-ins. I don't like him.
    Slippy likes this.
  4. blueadams

Tyler Zeller - I just don't really see it. And I'm pretty much just going to leave it at that for now. He might end up being better than Jones III or Henson in the league. But such a low ceiling. The chance that either of those guys could pan out puts them ahead of Zeller IMO.

...I'm not going to get into the third-tier big men - Andrew Nicholson and Fab Melo - because it doesn't seem serious that we'd draft him at #9, and I don't know much about either.
    basketbills likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good work, Blue. The NBA draft is Thursday, June 28.....only 2 more weeks...
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In the pre-draft, Tyson Chandler was only 224 lbs at 6'11.5 and did 2 bench presses. 7'3" wingspan with 30.0" no step vertical. Standing reach 9'2". Q: did Chandler grow after he was drafted since he was only 18?

Henson is listed at 6'9", 216lbs, and did 5 benches. 7'5" wingspan. 25.5" no step vert. Standing reach 9'4". Henson gained 37 lbs since his freshman year.

Although he is shorter than Chandler, he would arguably play as tall due to his freakishly long arms. His standing reach is only 8" below the rim and higher than Tyson's. However, Chandler is a slightly better flat footed leaper.

Is there a better player to compare him to in the NBA?
  7. BillLaimbeer

Brandan Wright or Samuel Dalembert.
  8. blueadams

This couldn't be much more of a suggestive argument, but I'll get on with it. I remember seeing Chandler's pre-draft high school tapes, and I saw a guy with attitude and toughness and flair. A guy that didn't like being scored on. A guy that didn't like losing. When I see Henson, I just see a guy who's a basketball player because he happens to be tall and athletic and who doesn't really seem to care about the game, or about being good.

Also, Chandler had big broad shoulders even at that weight. He had a big frame to build on. Henson doesn't.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Meyers Leonard: His stock is soaring after the combine which is kind of indictive of a bust prospect becase we forget the stuff that projects him 15+ in the draft. Still, I like him a lot in comparison to the guys available. DX has a video profile that shows the good and the bad: DraftExpress: Meyers Leonard Video Scouting Report. His interview was top notch and you're probably going to get a good kid. He's very marketable and has shown the tendency to spend extra time with fans. He doesn't fit the Pistons DNA profile but neither does a Vanilla Ice halftime show. We've got a good coaching staff to work on his deficiencies. Footwork and back to basket tendencies can be improved and is one of those things that people have been consistent with developing. Monroe's growth in the fundamental department is encouraging in that it shows the staffs ability to teach the little things that makes a big successful. Maxiell's improvement was also encouraging. Leonard does a good job of putting a body on his man when shots go up. The only huge concern is the Daye-like hanging of his head after a bad play. Still, having a weak side shot blocker behind Monroe is exciting. I like the idea of throwing Macklin and Leonard at opposing bigs after Maxiell and Jerebko did it all last season. Lets get some size!

John Henson: This guy interviews very well. Good head on his shoulders. The combine wasn't a revelation. He is what he is. I'm not as high on him but he's a safer pick. Even if he can't hold his ground, he's an awesome weak side help guy that could make like easier for Monroe. His knack for cutting to the basket makes Monroes passing skill that much more dangerous. Jerebko cut to the basket a bunch of time last year to receive a feed to a double teamed Moose. You don't really need a back to the basket game. Just cut to the basket or follow Moose's shot in the post. Henson also knows where he fits in. His free throw shooting is pretty bad and there is not much hope that that can improve. Still he's a big time player that showcased his skill on a big time stage in the NCAA. Way less of a bust factor than Meyers and if we do get him, I'd be pretty happy.

Jared Sullinger: Didn't care for his interview. Lacked logic and the ability to explain himself. Thats small potatoes in the big picture but the rest of the picture is riddled with other potatoes. I think he'll be a good pro so I'm not a hater. What we need though is front line defense and shot blocking. What we don't need is another post guy to take possessions away from Monroe. Stuckey and Gordon do a good job of that already. Then Prince comes along and its all over.

Perry Jones: I was playa hatin' on him then I read his sob story and my icy heart melted and care bears defrosted and cavorted around for a happy ending and Jones won an MVP award with rainbows and care bears dancing in the air. Then I realised he is a SF and then we cut to a burnt house with singed lifesize posters of Prince and a Swedish eagle mannequin and I cried: NooooooooOOOoooo11!!1eleven.

Arnett Moultrie: I haven't followed him as much since his profile says 3-4 with no shot blocking history. We got Charlie V and we were pretty ok with his not ever getting on the court.
    coynejeremy, webz and BallDon'tLie like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not really suggesting anything. I don't watch much college bball and have no idea how Henson plays. I was just thinking of tall skinny NBA big men that have recently developed to a high level since draft day. The problem with Chandler was that it took quite a while before he got to that level. The Bulls just developed him for the benefit of subsequent teams.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The more that I read, the more I think we should take a page out of the New England Patriots' playbook and trade down. If there is a possibility of getting two 1st rounders for the price of one, - do it.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Chandler was not a good pick for the Bulls. And the Bulls were not a good spot for Chandler. It has to be a good fit both ways.

Tyson Chandler looks back at his learning experience with the Bulls - Blog a Bull
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is less of a drop off in the NFL draft between mid and late first rounders than in the NBA I would guess.

We might end up getting 2 Walter Sharpe's instead of 1 Greg Monroe.
    S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  14. Slippy

Two picks vs. 1 are for teams bereft of talent. We have talent...just not elite talent. We don't need to add a plethora of the same level of talent, we need elite talent. Can we get that at 9. It'll be difficult but possible...but thats what tanking is all about.
    S.J. likes this.
  15. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Listen. (or read? whatever..)

Sacramento are really high on Henson.. I'm pretty sure they won't be picking Drummond.

Here you have the workout he did yesterday.

If Henson is available at #9 i would pick him.. He is the safest thing out there and exactly what we need. A BIG MAN who can play ABOVE the rim with his freakish long arms.

If not, then Drummond maybe can slide and fall on our laps. (That would be a better pick than Perry Jones, Zeller, Leonard and Terrence Jones)
    In Sullinger I see good things but not what we need. No size, No defense.

Picking Leonard at #9 doesn't close enough for me.. there seems to be something wrong there.. I would try to trade down to pick 12-14 to get Leonard and maybe get a second rounder or something like that.

In short: Pick Drummond if he slips, Henson or Meyers Leonard.

Perry Jones? Terrence Jones? They are Small Forwards, we don't need that. (except if Barnes slips, which is really impossible to happen.. )

Tyler Zeller? Arnett Moultrie? ... No.
  16. BallDon'tLie

Walter Sharpe ended up being a good sleeper pick.

:deadhorse:
  17. BillLaimbeer

I was thinking the exact same thing. We need studs, not mediocre role players. We have picks #39 and #44, in addition to #9. Perhaps we could package them to move UP, not down. We also have some great assets like Villanueva, Bynum, Daye, etc. could throw in a 2013 or 2014 pick to sweeten the pot.
  18. Slippy

I think EVERY Sharpe reference needs the sleeper joke and the :deadhorse: after it.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Yup. It's similar to adding a shooter joke to all Rodney White references.
  20. BallDon'tLie

Yeah but at this point, who's to say that a Meyers Leonard PLUS Draymond Green isn't a better deal for the Pistons than John Hensen.

...and Slip, do you really feel that the Detroit Pistons have enough Talent?
    Every single player not named Greg Monroe could have been upgraded by a simple but solid MLE signing last season. That's 13 out of 14 guys on your roster that were totally replaceable last year.

You're right, the Pistons have talent. They just need Guards, Forwards and Centers to round out the group.