Time for the 2013 Off-Season Thread (ugh)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Captain Jack's no leader. They put him in that role in Golden State, and he did an ok job for a few months until he got bored and disgruntled.

But, my problem with Captain Jack trade is not that. Considering his track record, I would be very concerned with Joe accumulating cap space entering FA period.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

"Here, have a 5 year extension"

BallDon'tLie, KGREG and Walter like this.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes he is our best player in terms of all around skills, send him to the Lakers and you will see just how much Tay still has left, much like Rip in Chicago. And yes, believe it or not Tay is the face of the Franchise.

True Story: The guy who works in the Pistons marketing dept, and created and shot this years commercials is a good friend of my fiance, we're talking with him at the Piston/Hou game and I say, "We really need to trade Tayshaun" dude looked at me cross eyed and said, "Trade Tayshaun? He's the face of the franchise!"

Sad, I know.
    WRONG! Most people who attend Piston games aren't actually basketball fans. Which is why I loathe actually going to the Palace, it's basically a circus.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He'd bring the roof down at the Staples just like Jamison is doing now!

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Tayshaun Prince is a flat tire.
    Not only does he slow down any sort of offensive flow, he's slowing down the progression of this team with every single minute he plays. He is also peeing in the poo of Pistons leadership. How are Brandon Knight and Greg Monroe supposed to become th faces of the franchise when Tay's tiny luggage is sitting in the way? ...Stuckey too!

I too am in Marketing and actually have a good freind who was the Sales Manager for PS&E under Davidson and for the early stages of the Gores regime.
    He's shared some stories with me.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and declare that selling the public on the idea that coming out to Auburn Hills for an evening of Gladys Knight and Tayshaun Prince is not a winning marketing strategy. I think that the paid attendence numbers from the Palace box office will back up my argument.

This franchise needs an infusion of energy on and off the floor.
    Old stale players need to go and the faces of the next generation need to be promoted.
    Old marketing "tactics" need to go in favor of an actual marketing strategy. Given Gores' business success, I am surprised at what I've seen since he took over the reigns. The Pistons are a case study in bad marketing right now!
    They have good ideas (like those black & white TV spots) that have absolutely no marketing tie-in with the rest of their communications initiatives. No focus, no consistancy, no brand.

The public will buy the future. The ballance sheet shows that they have no interest in buying the past.
    The economy in the Metro area sucks and the PR department needs to exploit this opportunity. Lower ticket prices and freebies to hard working Detroiters is good PR and is a proven way to build a fan base from the ground up. It's a helluva lot better than keeping prices high and trying to pawn off a bunch of cheap washed-up entertainment (half time shows, Prince, etc.) as "value added".

Those black & white TV spots are VERY well done. If your wife's friend did those, (I thought it was Foth advertising) he needs to convince the Pistons Communications/Marketing people to swim in that stream. Right now the team is being sold as "We finished .500 During the Last Half of the Season in 2012!" It needs to be sold ashere's a ground floor opportunity for fans to get on the bandwagon of a team that will be competing for a championship in 3 years"! We realize that the hardworking economy in Detroit is in rough shape. We're temporarily lowereing our prices and in doing so, we're lowering the barrier to entry to become fans of our team. We're young! We're exciting! And we're on our way! We've had a dim future for the last several seasons but now, we have some damn good reasons to be optimistic!

It's essential for the Pistons to become the "in" thing again.
    Ownership needs to realize that for the time being, it's much better to have 20,000 fans paying $30 bucks per seat than 10,000 fans paying $60 per seat. They need to realize that empty luxury boxes are pointless and they only way to fill them is to put a better product on the floor. No business guy wants to offer a client tickets to go see Tayshun Prince palm a basketball throw killer pump-fakes.

The Pistons need to become young, new & exciting on AND off the floor.
    Out with the old.
    In with the new!

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great post BDL.

We need a new mantra if we are to be relevant again.

Bad Boys
    Going to Work
    Finished the second half of a lockout shortened season at .500

We need something better to rally around.

7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Shot clock killing backdown fadeaways
    Come watch the enigma of the draft sit on the bench
    Guaranteed blowouts every night at the Palace
    We put the con in contenders

I reckon we should just sell Frank as 'Lawrence the Lobster' because he always goes red when the other team are just delivering the blowout.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We're more plucky with Stuckey.
    Down the floor we'll be racin.....because we have jason
    Try not to wince...when we play Prince.

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about,

"After that win, we will be trading Stuckey immediately."

If I lived in the area I would be opening the wallet for that.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Free tacos if the Pistons score over 90 points.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Free small curly fries if any Piston gets a triple double. Arby's is really going out on a limb with that gamble.

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hey guys, next year is the final year of Stuckey's contract and it is only partially guaranteed, only $4M is guaranteed, this makes him extremely tradeable now for a team looking to save money. Even if we can't move Stuckey, we can certainly cut him and save $4.5M and with an amnesty move for CV, we may be able to revamp this team!

13. BallDon'tLie

Stuck's too good to cut.
    IMO he has value, just not the $8.5 mil value that Joe sees in him.

I think with this partial guarantee clause in his deal, Stuck could be traded for something of value. ...A late 1st rounder? ...another role player? ...2 2nd rounders?

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

:rofl:Dream on my friend, the gig is up on Stuckey. The rest of the league clearly sees what we see and you'd be hard pressed to find a team willing trade value in order to pay Stuckey $8.5M. In order to move Stuckey we either have to take back another team's garbage or pair him with an asset.

15. BallDon'tLie

Oh no doubt.
    I was thinking - a partial buy-out of Stuckey in the trade scenarios that I mentioned.
    At his current salary, he's a negative asset fosho.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

WARNING** WARNING** Prisoner of the moment post
    Let's assume a few things shall we:
    1. BoT returns to Chaz form like he did against Portland and becomes an "instant offense" guy off the bench.
    2. Singler continues his effective and efficient play at SG.
    3. The light bulb stays on for BK7.
    Then that means we only need to upgrade the wing and PF position to get into playoff contention. I'm thinking that replacing Max with Paul Millsap would be a great move and replacing Corey Maggette with Georgetown's Otto Porter would be a great move too. Drafting Trey Burke would also be a great move. And cutting Stuckey to save $4.5M would be a spectacular move!
    PG: Knight / Burke
    SG: Singler / English
    SF: Prince / Porter / Middleton
    PF: Monroe / Millsap / CV
    C: Drummond / Kravstov

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Also let's keep an eye on OJ Mayo out in Dallas. He has a player option for next season, at this rate I think he'll opt out of it, he's averaging 21.5ppg, shooting 49% from the field and 53% from beyond the arc. He's going to cost more than Ben Gordon did, but adding a LEGIT 20ppg scorer at the SG position is worth it!