Time for the 2013 Off-Season Thread (ugh)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, I'm not sure if the Russian dude will materialize or not. If you play JJ at the PF, you need some beef in there to match up with him.
  2. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

This is essentially what I'm thinking. With one of the wings hopefully being #1 overall pick Shabazz Muhammad and the other being a top-line FA (or trade result). I'd add that I'd like to see a good tough, mean, hard-working backup big man brought in to show Drummond and Monroe the ropes though.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're only 3 games out of first place right now and we've had the hardest schedule so far in the league. Unfortunately, there is still ample opportunity for us to climb back into no man's land before the end of the season.
  4. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Then next July it should be.
  5. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

How about that high/low post Monroe/Drummond game!? I feel like we actually have something to build off of now. Just need to tank enough to draft Shabazz Muhammad, sign a sharp-shooting wing, and take care of a few smaller issues and we're in business I believe.
  6. #1PickToDETROIT

#1PickToDETROIT Second Round Draft Pick

If we can stay this bad until 2014 then we can get Wiggins at #1. Then... dear god. It's going to hurt, but it must be done.
  7. max

max All-Star

Nice summary, its hard to put yourself out there with such a detailed analysis. I have heard the Drummond/Howard comparison - they used it a lot in the draft analysis. Even though its comparing a #1 to a #9.

I am not sure what the solution is. Overall we have glaring weaknesses at the 2,3 spots ( esp the 2nd units ) and defensively at the 1. Couple of quick fixes I would like to see is a nice shooting backup for Stuckey and a Lindsey Hunter type defender to backup Knight. We can do that now - this season.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

While I agree that these two postions are the primary weak spots for the Pistons, I don't think it's an issue with the 2nd unit. Our backups at SG & SF are actually pretty dang good. Getting new starters at those two positions should be the primary objective that keeps Dumards from sleeping at night.
  9. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Solution seems simple to me.

1) Tank.
    2) Amnesty Villanueva, let Daye, Max and Bynum leave as FA's.
    3) Draft Shabazz Muhammad #1 overall.
    4) Trade up out of the second to draft Trey Burke (awesome Brandon Knight insurance policy).
    5) Sign a sharp-shooting wing FA, a veteran backup PG and a veteran backup big to teach Drummond/Monroe/Knight.

And we're in business..

C: Drummond, *?*FA*?*, Kravtsov
    PF: Monroe, Jerebko
    SF: *?*FA*?*, Prince, Singler, Middleton
    SG: Muhammad, Stuckey, English
    PG: Knight, *?*FA*?*, Burke

That's a team with a hell of a future.
    round likes this.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Agreed, though I might trade Prince (as much as I hate to say about one of my favorite Pistons) if we can get a vet big man/vet PG and a pick for him at the trade deadline. Otherwise I agree... we have allot of potential talent (dangerous word I know) and what they need most is practice time and TIME.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think you can convince San Antonio to do a Prince for Stephen Jackson trade. You can trade BoT or Stuckey if you throw in one of our 3 assets on this team: Knight, Jonas, Monroe. Then you amnesty whichever player, BoT or Stuckey, is still on the roster.
    The Panda likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I like this because it gets rid of Prince, but do we really want old man Jackson? He is very expensive, and that would give us two $10m a year SF's who can't really play!

Although they are both expiring.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Like Panda, I'm digging this one because it means that I no longer have to look at Tay Prince.
    We could throw in A. Daye for a San Antonio draft pick to make the salaries match up.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's all about getting rid of the contract and freeing up the money. Problem is..........it's very unlikely because (like it or not) Tay is the face of the franchise and currently our best player. The front office is concerned that trading away Tayshaun will decrease ticket sales..........as if we're still on that sell out streak.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet there are more people buying tickets to see Brandon Knight than Tayshaun Prince.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This team could use the bravado and leadership of Steve Jackson. No way would SA do that trade.
  17. BallDon'tLie

I usually have pretty good radar when it comes to sarcasm but this is one of those rare cases that I need some confirmation.
    ...You don't really believe that Tayshaun Prince is our best player anymore do you?
    ...& you don't believe that Tayshaun Prince has any impact (positive or negative) on ticket sales do you?

Please advise.
  18. BallDon'tLie

The dude is one of my favorite players but I gotta believe that S-Jax would be a cancer patient with this group.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree. The Pistons need someone to lead them and he would do that. Every other player on the roster would benefit from his confidence.
  20. BallDon'tLie

I just think that at this point in his career, Jackson would look around the lockerroom and laugh at our roster of children and misfits.