Time For A Player Walk Out

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am not a pro union guy, far from it but enough is enough. This Technical horse %%%% is just that.

Its time to put Lord Stern and his minyons in their place

:gun1:
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, I am a pro union guy and I think the player's union has done a good job over the years of getting benefits for the players while keeping the best interests of the league overall in mind.

I don't think a wildcat strike is appropriate, but like you I do wonder why the union doesn't show more of a public face around some of these issues. Maybe the union was consulted and bought in to the changes months ago, maybe it has so little power that no one pays attention when they do talk, maybe they're scared of big bad David...

Maybe the players don't really care about the ball and about the technicals enough to make a public show. But, it is odd that their primary mouthpiece seems to have been dead quiet.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think for the union and the players the ball and the technicals are small potatoes. Where you want your union flexing its muscle is when you are negotiating millions of dollars in potential revenue.
    I'm thinking also that they will wait for fan/media backlash to undo this lame-ness.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good thinking. Why wrestle a man who can't swim when you can just watch him drown?
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That is foul....:nerd2:

:pound:
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

and a TECHNICAL with a capital 'T'....:lol:
  7. buddahfan

I think you guys are right, but I just relate a lot to Sheed and his showing his emotions.

In any case I checked the box scores last night and in five? games there was only one non defense type of technical called.

I don't mean to sound conspiratal (sic) but Stern has never had a warm spot in his heart for the Pistons, their style of play over the years that has won them division and league titles. The refs also have never been particularly fond of Sheed, so this new rule can be, and I believe are being used to put more screws to our guys and team.

I am still upset over how many foul shots Wade got in last year's playoffs against the Pistons and the Dallas Cubans, another guy that Stern isn't particularly fond of.

:yellowprison:
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Every player needs to go in the game and get ejected. No joke.
  9. Slippy

at least if the hawks play the cavs...joe johnson and Lebron both get ejected. fans would riot. esp. the ones that coughed up 500 bucks to watch some also-rans shoot freethrows.
  10. buddahfan

Yea that would be almost as bad as having the World Cup decided by a series of penalty kicks
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There's nothing more exciting than that!!!
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

And what are they going to do about it? Is there any evidence that this frustration level will intensify into a unified action? Do you have any evidence of solidarity within the Union which would have to be led (or at the very least, with heavy participation) by the leaders…meaning the superstars? This direction is extremely doubtful.

When you play within the market-corporate system, they give you ownership and a piece of real estate near the mountain top. It is a rarefied view which becomes very addicting.

Stern knows all about this and is very confident he can break any dissention. The players may complain, but they will take it. The fans heckle and that is all from them. The media has a monopoly control of image making and partakes of the golden egg.

The coaches….well, there’s one that is frightened to the bone and well he should be. He just saw the full power of Stern and we are talking about the concerns of Pop. Granted, he was a close friend of LB, but there is something much bigger going on here. I have yet to see any journalist pick up on this.

Not a good time to be a coach or a GM.

Who said slavery was dead.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Maybe they should show up one day with duct tape.
  15. roscoe36

The current power struggle in the NBA is fascinating. I laugh when people make it sound like the problem is the techs, the refs or the dress code like they are all isolated incidents, fodder for PTI or the like.

And you are right. By introducing younger, uneducated men to the "gene pool", Stern has created a brief window when he can operate with impunity. The players lack the cohesion of the NHLPA and the individuality of the NBA has made superstars non-factors when it comes to leadership or bargaining table issues.
  16. max

max All-Star

I don't think its worth throwing the season away over this with a walk out. There was an artice posted here from detnews. I read it the other day which was about the players union possibly suing the league. This would be the way to go without any down time.

Ros - how much influence to agents have? There is always an agent involved with every player/management issue.
  17. roscoe36

Max, it's not player vs. management. It's player vs. league. Management are just innocent bystanders, and Ownership is the one who signs off on this kind of nonsense.

The reason why the PA has gotten involved is simple. Every tech costs players money. The PA doesn't care about the righteousness of the rulebook. When Billy Hunter starts talking about going to court regarding labour practices, it's because his players are not only being taken out of the game, the league is excessively fining them, in some cases (Sheed's And1) illegally. Can you imagine your boss or customer saying, "You stared at me, I'm docking your pay" and you helpless to even question it?

In the overall scheme of things, the dollar figures are small but the PA has to be cautious about allowing the NBA to set a precedent for random fines for game related activities. I'm no lawyer, but right now the NBA is establishing that their referees are actually able to fine players directly for all sorts of arbitrary transgressions. This is clearly not in the spirit of the CBA.

This has the potential to turn into the battle to end all battles, but I'm guessing that greed will win out and players like Sheed will be thrown under the bus so that prosperity and peace can continue. If there is one thing David Stern is great at, it is reminding everyone how much money is at stake.
  18. Slippy

Roscoe your post reminded me of the NBA in the early 90's when Rookie contracts and Star salaries were out of control. The Players ruled the league. You almost had to sign your lottery pick to a crippling contract to keep them -these apparently unproven and greedy kids talking $100 million.
    I think there was a negative reaction to the Larry Johnsons and Glen Robinsons where a player could hold a franchise hostage almost. And in addition to parity i think the league was looking to improve its image and these things are a continuation of the league trying to accomplish that: maintaining that is not dictated by the players.
  19. max

max All-Star

So true. I refer to the rookie contract as the Glen Robinson clause because he definetly went too far and the rule shortly followed.
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think it would be foolish for something like this to result in a walkout.

On the one hand the players need to stop acting like spoiled brats when a call doesn't go their way. The refs make mistakes. Deal with it and move on.

On the other hand the commissioner and the refs need to start calling the games fairly. When one team (or player) sees another team (or player) getting away with crap that they can't do it creates an atmosphere where there will be excessive complaints because the players see the lack of equity and integrity.