Time For A Mark Aguirre/Adrian Dantley Move

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 28, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Aiight. I like it. Seems much less risky than trading Sheed, too.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Do the contracts match? If they do go for it. All though I would want Dice to win a championship, and as a Pistons. Flip M. just hasn't done the job well.
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

The Clippers would probably take that trade. Not sure Maggette would be happy with the minutes or lack of starting job (behind "Captain" Prince) he'd get here, though. Or that Dice would approve it - he has a trade kicker, no?

I haven't really seen any proposals that would actually make the Pistons a better team - now or in the future - since the thread got off the topic of trading Chauncey (not that most of those would have either). Making Jason Maxiell or Amir Johnson a 20+ MPG rotation player is a romantic idea, but not one I believe would make the Pistons more likely to win the title: Maxiell is far too inconsistent a rebounder and Johnson is at this point basically a second-round Darko. Maybe Amir could play as well as Hakim Warrick, but then again maybe he can't, and the Pistons' front line is too complete to give them the opportunity without shelving Nazr Mohammed, shelving/trading Antonio McDyess or (I hate to repeat myself, but I'm going to anyway) throwing away our best player.

There are no great teams in the NBA this season; nor any that are even one or two notches below great. Dallas, San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix, the Lakers, Chicago, Houston, Denver, Miami - those are all pretty good teams, but none stands above the rest as unbeatable or a prohibitive favorite or even a team that opponents fear. Nobody would be very surprised if a mediocre team like Orlando or Indiana, or even a bad team like Cleveland, were to upset one of those teams in the playoffs. All of this comes together to produce a climate in which the Pistons' window of opportunity to win a championship remains open, because while the Pistons may only be a decent to good NBA team, there is no team in the NBA which they don't match up with well enough to have a good shot at beating in a 7-game series. Rasheed Wallace is a major reason why.

Does Sheed take bad shots? Yes. Has he abandoned his game going toward the basket? Almost. Does he slack off on defense? Occasionally. Does he rebound as well as he should? Definitely not. But, when he is healthy, more nights than not he is a positive force on the floor for the Pistons, and every night he is capable of doing something to help the Pistons win, capable of making the game easier for his teammates. Because of Rasheed Wallace, the Pistons are a good team rather than a mediocre one. Because of Rasheed Wallace, the Pistons are versatile enough to match up favorably with every team in the NBA - and you could not say the same if our starting power forward were a defenseless old gimp like McDyess or a dime-a-dozen one-move dunker like Maxiell or Chris Wilcox. Because of Rasheed Wallace, the Pistons' championship window remains open, and the front office should not say 'the hell with it' just because Amir's a seven footer who moves like a gazelle with a [strike]great[/strike]ugly but effective stroke from the perimeter.

Earl Watson would be a great pickup for the Pistons - but we wouldn't have to give up Rasheed to get him. With Wilks playing well, the team going nowhere, and Watson's contract significantly longer and bigger than he really deserves, he's probably available for just matching value in expiring contracts.

- A. Sheed Homer :burp:
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

"Because of Rasheed Wallace the Pistons are a good team, rather than a mediocore one"

I remember when Sheed came here and he made this team a great team, rather than a good one. Have those days ended? I wouldn't call this team great anymore, but they are better than good.
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Those were the days when we had an all-star center.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If guys like Maxiell, Blalock, Dice, Dale, and Flip M. make a difference off the bench than will it prevent greatness? We will see late in the season. If this team has that surge, it's hard not to see.
  7. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There are lots of Sheed deals which *could* improve the team. It may not improve the PF spot, but there are moves with can assist us in the draft, by getting younger, adding depth or just plain cleaning up our salary condition.

It's a challenge to find some and then take the criticism for your moves. Less about Sheed and more about playing GM.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Kgreg has a good deal... unfortunately neither Mags or Delfino would be happy with their PT backing up Tay & Rip.

As for Amir & Brahma doing well taking over Sheeds minutes... I'd rather see a motivated Elmer Fudd in there over lazy assed Sheed lately.
  10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

According to an article on Realgm, the Nets are willing to trade Jason Kidd "if the right deal comes along". They also, obviously, need size.

CBA-wise, Chauncey Billups+Flip Murray+Nazr Mohammed should be tradable for Kidd's contract, which provides the "Aguirre/Dantley" type trade as well as opening up minutes for the Goon Squad.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CB/Flip/NM don't get it done salary wise. Toss in JMax and Dupree and NJ might bite. Or not.
  12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Damn, you're right. Dupree and Blalock checks out, actually, although that would leave us extremely thin at guard.

Where's Horace Jenkins?
  13. roscoe36

Chauncey has a trade kicker. It's a bonus that must be paid out if he is traded. It makes any deals with CB very difficult to make.

While I think Kidd is a far superior pure PG, his age and injury history make this at best a lateral move.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Exactly right
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

plus kid doesn't make shots at the end of games, nor does he even attempt them for fear of missing and being the fall guy
  16. roscoe36

What Kidd does is find someone else to make shots late. Mr. Big Shot is a good name for a shooting guard, not the team leader.

I know some fans don't like Kidd, but if you've followed his career, the guy is one of the better defensive points, is probably one of the best fast break PGs of the last 10 years and an incredible floor leader.

We might not have beaten the Nets in 2004 if he was healthy. Respect for an opponent is some of the humble pie Pistons fans might need to learn.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Not true. See tripple overtime game in the playoffs a few years ago Pistons vs Nets.
  18. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I've just been seeing too much Sheed bashing lately. People seem to think that Rasheed ,at this stage of his career, should be able to run around like Michael Currey for 82 games and still be able to bring it come playoff time. The guy is a professional and he steps it up for the big games and most times comes through. Yeah, I remember that he left Horry but I also remember how he played in the Indiana series that got us into the finals.

And yes, I did mean at the power forward position.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude that was 2 years ago. If you think that we get enough consistent production from our PF then you may be a bit delusional. Personally I'm really pissed at Sheeds laziness. He NEVER comes into camp in shape, he doesn't work out and he doesn't work on his game!!!!! At his age it is critical that Sheed increase the strength and conditioning aspect of his game to remain competitive but unfortunately that his something that he flat out refuses to do. If Sheed worked as hard as Lindsey Hunter this conversation would not be neccessary, it's a damn shame that a 37 year old Dale Davis is looking superior to Sheed.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sheed+Dale+Flip Jr+1st rdr= KG
    Flip and Dale fall off books, Sheed is alot cheaper than KG which can help them cap wise and they get an extra pick in a the "Dream Draft".
    We get a PF that can deliver 20/20 on any given night that already knows the playbook and who works hard everynight.