1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

tigers vs. twins

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by professor, Sep 10, 2006.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

not that i really expected them to beat santana, but okay, well, i kinda did.... or at least to show up.

all the sort of outlandish speculations about how badly the tigers would have to play from "x" point forward in the season in order to lose their division or even a wildcard spot are starting to look less like speculations and more like simply the day's game recap...

i'm starting to turn my attitude around toward: well what a fun beginning of the year they gave us, and they've got some good guys on the squad that you wanna root for and, well, that's nice enough considering baseball is kinda far-ish down my list of obsessions...

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Tigers lose even when sitting still. The Twins, Sox and Yankees all win tonight as the central divison foes both inch a half agame closer and the Yankees who have passed the Tigers to stretch their homefield advantage lead another half game.

Since the Tigers can't count on the Angels and A's from slowing down the Sox and Twins express they need to put some juice on those bats to win every series the rest of the season. :help: That may be a hard task considering they have only won 1 out of the last 10 series they have played. They won the first game of the last 3 series vs the Angels, Mariners and Twins and then lost the remaining games in each series. Needless to say the offense has been atrocious as the Twins outscored the Tigs, 32-14 in the four game weekend series. Decent hitting could have led to a split or even 3-1 series win.

They are sinking fast :help2: and can only hope that they can find their bats this week against the Rangers and Orioles & hold off the Chisox next week to salvage the Wildcard if the Twins continue to surge.

3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Tigs better start winning, and soon. Let's see if they sweep the Rangers starting tonight...

4. LA Dre

Walk off home run by Carlos Guillen saves one for Tigs. The offense was still anemic, but they got three solo long balls to take care of business including two by Guillen.

We would love for the twins and Sox to lose, but fate is in the Tigers hands so they got to win on their own and not rely on the our closest suiters to fail. The Twins who were down 2 in the bottom of 8 have come back to go ahead in their game after seeing the Tigs win.

Gotta come back tomorrow and win again, as we know their M-O lately which has been to win the first game of the series and lose the remainder of the series. A two game sweep tomorrow of the Rangers could restore the confidence and reduce the pressure off this young team. GO Get-em Tigers:whoo:

5. professor

6. LA Dre

Thanks for the link professor. Based on SI comments each team profiled had a supposed insurmountable lead of 7+ games in early to mid August only to blow it. The Tigers 10 game lead on August 7 or so looked good then, but it appears that they want to join this infamous club to suffer a major collapse.

With the Twins and Sox playing each other the last weekend of the season, lets hope the Tigs are still holding on to that 2-3 game lead so there is no one game playoff for them to choke:nailbiting:

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Unless they get better offense, don't count on it.

8. professor

well, i see the twins already helped us out today (chisox won I think), so we can at least stretch things a bit with a win tonight. every little bit helps.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm officially concerned. Very concerned.

I wish we could get Polanco back in there. I never wish injuries on guys but the Twins losing Liriano helps us.

10. LA Dre

Another loss, another missed opportunity. Fourth series in a row that the Tigers have won the first game of a series offering false hope :pray: to the fans only to lose the rest of the games in the series (today just one as they failed to sweep a two game series). :loser:

As others have complained and moaned on the Det News Tiger forum, if they don't sweep or win the series over the weekend with the Orioles, then they are primed to be swept by the Sox next M-T-W:yield: :help2: and then it is probably over...:ohwell:

11. bezeach

I hope they get it together, someway. It's a big game for the Tigers tonight. If only there offense had some way to get going again...

12. bezeach

Interesting article about the Tigers, and its true...

Detroit does not deserve the disappointment of the Tigers missing the playoffs. It seems as if we have been on the mountain top all year, only to find we are standing on pixie dust.

Do you remember the NHL season? The Red Wings owned the best regular-season record. But our high was followed by a first-round playoff loss to Edmonton, the retirement of captain Steve Yzerman and the departure of Brendan Shanahan.

And what about the Pistons? We were planning a ticker-tape parade down Woodward for them. Once again, they had the best record -- flirting with 70 victories -- but lost their mojo sometime during the second-round and were drummed out of the Eastern Conference finals by the Heat.

To add insult to injury, Ben Wallace took his 'fro and followed the dough to Chicago to play for the Bulls.

Now the Tigers sit on the brink of disaster after giving us one of the best summers in two decades. This would be one of the cruelest blows if they fail to hang on.

Rest of article:
    Tigers fans are on edge - 09/14/06 - The Detroit News Online

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Stupid Tigers are up 9-0 early. Why can they only play well in the first game of any given series?

Anyhow, Twins are down too.

I think we'll make the wild card. Better than nothing.

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully, the A's can take care of business against Chicago tonight. This race is going down to the wire. Tigers picked a bad time to slump. I just wonder if they can regain past form. I don't see the confidence. And the pitching staff is stumbling a bit. Even if they do get in, seems like everyone is at the Yankees' mercy.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tigers fans are welcome to chat with the Lions fans today. We've got an extra room open for baseball chat (if necessary).