TIGERS VS CARDS...breakin it down

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Oct 20, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The problem with being patient against Carpenter was that he was throwing strikes on almost every first pitch. We were getting behind on the counts and then his curve was killing us. He was similar to Kenny Rogers in that respect.

I thought that we should have been prepared to swing at the first pitch a lot more often after he showed that he had the control. It was almost always a fastball down the middle.

Also, I don't really understand the criticism of Zumaya's throw to third base. Why was that such a bad decision? He just screwed up the throw... and it didn't matter anyways because we didn't score a run.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah I'm surprized at the lack of first pitch swinging. I noticed that against Mussina. I would've had no problem with Zooms move if he had stopped the runner. Kinda like taking the wind...
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:rain: Rain delays could be bad for Tigers...once again the bats are idle and if game 4 and 5 get delayed until Friday and Saturday, we may see Carpenter again in game 5 instead of six or seven.

That means if the Tigers don't get by Suppan, we may be looking at Carpenter again early in game 5 and already down 3-1:pray:

Rogers is scheduled to pitch game 6. He may have to be moved up to game 5 if we are down 3-1. :( Of course if there are major weather delays and this goes into November, we might be able to get Rogers to pitch games 5 ,6 and 7 !!!
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

aaaaaarghhhhh
  5. professor

i mean: yayyyyyyyyy
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Watching the Tigers is giving me an ulcer.
  7. professor

no lie! it's absolutely killing me. they look so so so fragile.
  8. roscoe36

ARGH!

Zumaya pitching scared, the whole team is scared. This is terrible.
  9. professor

i hate to say it, but the cards seem to me to deserve this so far, they are the far steadier team.
  10. roscoe36

If the Tigers could halve their mistakes, they would be winning this game and this series.

Too many screwups.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've been too nervous to watch almost any of it on television. It's all I can do to just watch the boxscore.

That being said, no matter what happens, I'm totally proud of the team for their accomplishments. I would LOVE for them to win, but I will honestly not feel too bad if they don't.

They came outta nowhere and besides, I like the Cards and their manager.
  12. professor

yeah, exactly. that's the steadiness factor. i don't see the cards beating themselves. i don't really know if baseball is like basketball in this respect. but it seems like the equivalent of shooting 50 % from the line and average 20 turnovers a game in the finals: you're not going to win.
  13. roscoe36

Unbelievable.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Every single run the Cards scored had some sort of Tiger screw-up attached to it. From Monroe mis-fielding the base hit and allowing the runner to get to 2nd, to Zumaya making another pitcher error... it was brutal. And you gotta let the left fielder throw the guy out at the plate on a short hard hit. He had the ball in his mitt before the runner hit 3rd base.

We have a very good chance at getting wins with Verlander and Rogers, but then it's do or die against the Carp.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Despite being charged with only one error tonight, there were so many miscues, and all led to a run. Every time the Cards got a runner on second, they scored.

Some of those Cards should have never got to second.

Aaron Miles scores on a double by Eckstein after stealing second on a dropped ball by Polanco

Scott Rolen gets a double after Monroe slips and the throw to second is an inch late. Molina doubles him in.

Eckstein doubles to center after Granderson slips on the wet field. He scores on Rodney throwing error to first and then Togushi reaches second and of course he scores on Wilsons single.

Zumaya walks the first batter and later a runner eventually gets to second on a wild pitch or passed ball on a strike out. Of course that runner on second scores on the ball that just misses the outstretch glove of Monroe.

The wet field did not help, the Tigers got hits, but still left 8 or 9 batters on base and never got the clutch hits that the Cardinals got. :(

Our pitchers have been deadly when not throwing to the plate. :rolleyes:

This was game of inches and the Tiger were an inch short on several occasions.

Does Leyland gamble on the gambler or take a chance on the rookie Verlander.

Is Tim MCardinal ready to bust out of his pants with glee???:)

One last prayer of hope for Tigers:
    In the the previous world series between these two teams? The team that won game 4, lost the series:fingerscr
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This whole series thing is way ahead of schedule for these kids... understandable that nerves would be a factor.... weren't the Carrdinals in the series a couple years ago?
    This will be known as the game they gave away...
    Leyland said he would not put "Kenny in this environment" meaning he won't pitch in st Louis... you gotta believe without "smudgegate" he'd be in there tomorrow.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just brutal to watch. gross. fielding errors are going to cost us the series. shoulda been 2-2 or 3-1 detroit right now.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

And in both of those series, the eventual winning team was down 3-1.
  19. professor

Game 5, here we go... grandy already struck out
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Damn Inge, Good followed by bad. Snap out of it!