Tigers Trade Rumors

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Hotsauce, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Soriano, unlike Alexander, is still in his prime. Of course, he may just be a rental, but if he is, the Tigers end up with draft choice compensation for a Type A free agent.

Freep's Parker says the Phillies would trade Abreu to the Tigers for Miner and Thames? Hmmmm ....

1. You'd be counting on Maroth stepping back into the rotation to replace Miner. Though my impression has been that Miner, while a reasonable pitcher, has been doing it with mirrors, and reality finally caught up with him in his last start with KC. If the Phils would take Miner, rather than Humberto Sanchez, for example, that would be a gift.

2. Thames I'd hate to see go. But he isn't exactly a youngster, he's 29 (Abreu is 32). Suppose Abreu came to the Tigers ... he'd play RF, Ordonez shifting to LF (I think), with Dmitri DH vs RHS, Monroe vs LHS.

Suddenly the lineup has a lot more balance and the bench has more depth. It could work. But I can't believe the Tigers would do such a deal unless the Phils also chipped in some substantial cash, since Abreu most likely would want his option for 2008 picked up to agree to the deal.
  2. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

From the Detroit Free Press:

The Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday that the Washington Nationals asked for minor league pitchers Humberto Sanchez and Jair Juujens, as well as Maybin, in exchange for prized outfielder Alfonso Soriano. But the Free Press reported that Tigers officials refused to include Maybin in the trade.

Jim Leyland's after game reaction when Abreu's name came up:

But right now, if somebody asked me that question, I would say that you (meaning the reporter who asked the question) would have a better chance of managing the Tigers next week than we would of getting Abreu.

In the end, one of these two players will be in a tigers uniform...
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Hope you're right. They need to do something. The offense has been lacking a little -- especially in big games against big teams. Sure, we beat up on the Kansas Cities of the world, but they won't be in the postseason.
  4. bezeach

5. bezeach

If the Yankees end up with Bobby Abreu, the Tigers might take a shot at Shawn Green. You also never know if San Diego -- which has some commotion in its front office -- might be in a mood in 10 days to deal Brian Giles. -- Detroit News
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about Shea Hillenbrand? You can have him dirt cheap, since the Jays designated him for assignment and now only have 9 days to get anything for him in return before he becomes a FA. :frusty:
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Vernon Wells might be on the block as well. The Blue Jays are imploding and the GM JP Riccardi has been very critical of Hillenbrand and Wells.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If JP trades Wells, I may be forced to become a Tigers fan in protest.
  9. ggazoo69

Tigers might not do anything with Dmitri likely back. If he can come through, which I doubt, do they still need someone. I'd love to have Hillenbrand.
  10. bezeach

Dimitri young is in rehab now for drinking and depression. A pretty bad mix! Here's an article about him and the latest news on him (Scroll down and there are funny scripts about him and the Detroit World of news! :laugh:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/SPORTS21/607180380

EX) ESPN.com's D.J. Gallo points out one possible threat to the Tigers' good start: the effects of secondhand smoke from Jim Leyland.
  11. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Bezeach, you can't be much of a Tigers fan. Young has been out of drug rehab for some time and has been working his way through the Tigers minor league system on injury rehab assignment for weeks. He's been tearing it up at Toledo and is likely to be called up imminently. The only question is who will be sent down to make room for him, Alexis Gomez or Ramon Santiago (unless Craig Monroe's hamstring injury today is so bad that he needs to go on the DL).
  12. bezeach

Just read what was on the article-said July 18, 2006
  13. ggazoo69

Or a pitcher could be sent down. Neither Ledezma or Colon gets much work at all. When Maroth gets back, what do you with Miner? Does he pitch long relief with Grilli? Personally, I'd package Miner in a trade deal while his value is up. Or I'd package Maroth. I don't like having three lefties in the Top 5. Must hitters are right-handed.
  14. bezeach

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wouldn't do this.

Why trade so much for a guy (Soriano) who will probably leave in a couple of months? They are doing fine. I don't think they should give up their young pitchers. I think the potential risk outweighs the probability of this working out right.
  16. bezeach

I agree, especially now that Dmitri is back and now that the sox are slumping (lost to Texas 10-3)
  17. ggazoo69

Agreed. If anything, get Abreau, although he's a little overpriced for sure.
  18. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I would make the Soriano deal if he agreed to sign a long term contract before the trade. The guy is a 40/40 guy. The Tigers strike out too much and don't steal that many bases. You know that the Sox's, Yankees, Twins are going to be making moves. As long as you don't give up your 2 stud prospects Sanchez and Maybin why not make the deal. We have so many young pitchers in the pipeline they can't all get called up and paly on the roster. It is great to have the option of dealing a prospect or two after not having a good farm system at all. Also you have to remember that they are just that prospects!!! You don't know what these guy's will do once they get called up. Some are studs and some are duds. Thats why they pay GM's the big bucks to make those calls.
  19. ggazoo69

Well, then they don't make this deal because that's who the Nats want. Also, I think there's little doubt Soriano would agree to a long-term deal. Seems like that guy would want to test free agency. Also, I've heard he's not the greatest locker-room guy.

I think they need a left-handed bat. I think they should have gotten Hillenbrand and started him at first and let Shelton DH once in a while. Shelton is a mystery to me. He's got some bad habits, like swinging at high pitches.
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I heard that the Nationals wanted Miner. Or maybe that was the other rumor I heard that somebody wanted a minor league prospect, Miner and Monroe for Cabrera.. sp????

I agree about Shelton. He just goes up there and swings away a pitches high or way outside. Then when a pitcher throws a pitch right down the middle of the plate he sits there and does not swing. I just don't get it!!!! I don't know. Maybe making the less flashy move would be better if you can get someone that could help out and it does not cost you as much.