1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers deal for Sheffield

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mercury, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Just like that the Tigs pick up another good guy. And free agency hasn't even started yet! (starts sunday)

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I don't like this move at all. The guy is 38 and is injury prone. It didn't bother me what they gave up to get him, but I don't think he's a "locker-room guy."

I'll gladly eat crow later if needby. I AM glad to see the Tigers being proactive.

5. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

My first thought was what a stupid trade that was. It reminded me of Smoltz all over again. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. Sheff brings alot to the Tigers besides his bat. He is bringing better pitches to the guys that bat right before and after him. He makes it even more attractive for free agents to want to come here. As you know, it wasn't long ago when nobody wanted to come. Now we are perceived as an elite organization. This will only improve as we add another future Hall of Famer. Yeah, he is old and that is the primary reason I was against it in the first place. But we didn't lose anybody on our current team and we gave up PROSPECTS as somebody wisely pointed out on the tiger forum. We should be much better for the next two years at least. I do hate giving up pitching prospects though. No doubt NY learned their lesson on the value of pitching this year. They've determined to stock up on pitching prospects too and that is smart. I think both teams win. I lost my attitude I first had when I learned of the trade. I think we will be fine. Our scouts just need to go find a few more possible gems we may need in about 7 years or so. Things are definitely looking up for our Tigers. Sure didn't think I'd be saying that so soon. It was dismal just a few years ago.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I originally thought that way when they got Pudge and Rogers as well. I'm not a Tiger's fan, so I don't know anything about these prospects. But if Shef can stay healthy, he adds a big bat to the lineup and as previously mentioned, instantly makes the guys hitting around him that much better.

7. ggazoo69

I thought I'd come out on the anti-Shef side and see if I could start a debate. :) I'd love if they signed Shef to a deal whereby they wouldn't have to pay him if he was out due to "certain injuries." Mags has clauses in his contract regarding knee injuries.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

another bonus is that we weren't guaranteed to get anyone in free agency. this does. plus he'll have a chip on his shoulder to show the yankees they made a mistake replacing him with abreu.

9. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Since the Sheffield deal is done, now Dombrowski said the team will continue to search for a first-baseman...

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We NEED left handed bats... I don't approve this message.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This means they're going for it in the next 2 years. It'll be nice going into a baseball season with some anticipation for the first time in a while.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

I concur...we certainly don't need a 38 RH. And I am highly skeptical of his veteran value to the clubhouse. That said, I hope Leyland can wring the best out of the guy.

13. ggazoo69

Detteam, you and I agree on this. We must be right.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

But WTF do I know...I was pissed when they signed Rogers :second:

15. roscoe36

This is an awesome trade.

I wouldn't trust the hardcore longtime Tigers' fans. They have been watching crap for too long to know when a golden turd lands in their laps.

Sheffield instantly provides protection for Mags and Guillen. It's not like this guy doesn't have a track record of playing well, he's got a super relationship with Leyland (do you think Jim would have signed off on this move if he thought it would be a problem), and quite frankly, it's always good to take a player off the Yankees, especially a future HOFer.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't know why a lot of people don't like this deal. It is great!!

1) Sheffield wanted to come here
    2)Sheffield said he will accept any role here he just wanted to be treated like a man and Leyland and Dave are good people and his friends
    3)Sheffield will be the DH with spot duty in Right field and Left field.
    4)We gave up no talent from our current MLB roster
    5)We add a solid bat that opponents will fear in the middle of our line up
    6) We still can add another big name FA because the money used to sign Sheffield is basically money coming off the books for Dimitri and Percival.

After listening to the phone conference yesterday with Leyland, Dave and Sheffield I was more confident than ever that this was a good move. Sheffield was giddy to come here. He said even if the Tigers would not have made the playoffs he still would have come. It was not about the money it was about going somewhere where he would be treated with respect and know that there was good people working to build a winner.

I know a lot of people are crying over Hombarto Sanchez getting dealt but he is a prospect. He is not a proven talent. Also he developed arm problems last year which made him even more expendable. Sanchez probably would have gotten dealt for Sorriano if the Nationals would have come off of there step price of wanting Mayben and Sanchez.

17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It is good also that we gave up three prospects only, and noone from the team. Pitching, especially good young pitching, is already the Tiger's forte, so those prospects were easier to give up than anyone else.

I do wonder why they are "still looking for a first baseman". Casey is still far from used up and he is a strong left-handed bat. And the guy he replaced, right now I forget his name, is not that far away from being decent.

I do think they can use another left-handed bat, in addition to Sean. It seems like teams cannot have too many left-handed bats or left-handed pitchers, especially starters.

18. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

"I'd love if they signed Shef to a deal whereby they wouldn't have to pay him if he was out due to "certain injuries." "

Since there is not a salary cap, I don't see how it would even matter.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Lazy...I don't know why the Tigs have expressed a need for first baseman either, except as some kind of trump card after Casey filed for free agency. Casey has fit right in here...experience, LH, power...and after he instigated bringing the fans into the ALDS celebration...everyone in Detroit loves the guy! Then he went 9 for 17 in the Series after coming off a calf injury when no one else seemed able to handle the Cards pitching. The guy has proven he can get it done in the playoffs.

20. roscoe36

Casey is also excellent in the locker room by all accounts.

I think he will be the backup plan if they cannot find the guy they want.