Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Deja vu, at Comerica today. Two homers by the Orioles and all of sudden the Tigers are down 6-0 in the 4th. If there was ever time to get some runs in the late innings it is now...to come back and win this one.

As I stated yesterday, we seem to be a HR power hitter short of beating the good teams. Miggy and Fielder need some power help. Orioles 97 dingers for the year, Tigers 71 ..ouch....
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One quick analysis on the Valverde situation:

I'm sort of forming my opinion out loud here after looking through the stats-

He's only pitched 18.1 innings this year, which is a small sample.

Positives:
    - he's holding the opposition to an extremely low batting average (.191 total/ .138 to righties and .232 to lefties). He's only given up 13 hits this year.
    - he's at nearly an all time high in K's per BB at 3.0. He's only given up 6 walks this year with no wild pitches.
    - he's averaging about 1 K per inning, which is what you want in a closer.
    - in terms of hits allows per inning, he's 3rd best on the team, slightly behind Scherzer and virtually tied with Benoit.

Negatives:
    - hit ERA is 7.56 over the last 28 days and has trended up to 3.93 on the season, which is the 2nd highest he's ever been in his career. On the other hand, Verlander is at 3.72... not much better.
    - he has given up 5 HRs already this season. In the past 4 seasons, he never gave up more than that even though he pitched throughout the entire years. His HR/9 rate is 2.5 this year vs 0.4 last year and most other years.

So, the big problem is that a disproportionate percentage of the hits allowed by him have been HRs and have done maximum damage to his ERA. But it is only 5... so could be some luck in there.

After walking through this, I could understand if Leyland wanted to test it out a bit more due to the extremely low BA against, limited walks, and decent K rate. Maybe Papa Grande just needs to analyze his HRs allowed this year with the pitching coaches to see if there is something that he can do different to protect against the key mistakes.

Also, I'm wondering if part of our disgust with him involves some tough situations that he was put in (inheriting runners, etc) where one hit made us feel like he blew it when he really just performed like any other pitcher would have.

I'm not in a position to evaluate his "stuff", but I understand that the pitching coaches and Leyland probably have an opinion on it. Velocity, movement, and other factors are probably quantified and at their finger tips.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

SLG has been a problem for the last few seasons. The ballpark has something to do with it I would guess, but I think that I've seen that even after adjusting for that, we have a problem. It's one big difference between Granderson and Jackson, even though I like our side of that deal at this point.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One more follow up issue on Valverde:

Also, Valverde allowed 0 HRs off of splitters in all of 2012. But in the post season, it started to crack and by the end of the playoffs, he was virtually going to his fastball on every pitch and getting shelled due to the predictability. Leyland should not have let him go to a safety pitch in the WS when his primary weapon wasn't working.

Valverde only throws fast balls and splitters at this stage of his career. The splitter is supposed to be the pitch that is either a ball or a swinging miss. He never throws them on a 3 ball count for instance.

But the problem seems to be that so far this year, he is throwing the splitter for strikes and they are getting disproportionately tagged. 80% of contact on his splitters result in fly balls, which is way higher than in prior years.

So, it's possible that he is having a very specific mechanical issue with the movement on his splitter or that the other teams have identified tells to better guess when it's coming. If he can fix this specific issue, he'd be back to his old form it seems like.

As an alternative, maybe he can revive one of the 3 other pitcher that he used to throw earlier in his career.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Good.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Read something about how Papelbon would be a good fit for the Tigers.
  7. LA Dre

Can we agree that the Orioles may be slightly better than the Tigers.....We just happen to have an impressive starting pitching crew, a superstar third baseman, a handful of players who can hit above average and a crappy division that allows us to hold on to first place.

Other than that, they are great!!!!
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    And we also have a senile manager that is just working madly to prove the definition of insanity (pun intended).
    LA Dre likes this.
  9. mikhail1973

11 hits 3 walks and 3 runs scored. Need I say more?
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Papelbon is in the $13-20M range, I think his team would need eat some of that.
    That graph of runs per inning is of the hold and reliever era. What would the 9th inning look like when men were men !
  11. LA Dre

With the outcome of the game already decided, I he trotted Papa Grunge out there one more time to prove his worth and it was another epic fail with giving 4 more runs... Then they send Garcia back to Toledo to make room for Alvarez. Should have released Valverde or put him on waivers.....
  12. mikhail1973

I say they should've sent Dirks to Toledo to get his **** together.
  13. mikhail1973

I don't think it's just salary. It is also what do they ask for in a trade.
  14. mikhail1973

new Jim Leyland pearl:
    Looks like it all happens before game time
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Valve took his ERA from 3.93 to 5.59 in 20 minutes? Ouch.

An another HR? Man...

Disappointing that Porcello pitched 5 scoreless innings and got pounded in the other inning.

And every single Tiger got on base, yet we only converted 3 runs. That's rough.
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i do get it right some time......
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can get banned for quoting your own post, you know. You will like this video:

18. mikhail1973

I guess some fans will get their wishes:
    Detroit Tigers Gameday: Matt Tuiasosopo starts in LF with tough righty John Lackey starting for Boston | MLive.com
    Jim Leyland: Joaquin Benoit to close games for Detroit Tigers 'when healthy and available' | MLive.com

However, there's also this:
    Detroit Tigers' Jose Valverde remains confident in himself: 'When my time comes to go home, I'll do it' | MLive.com

:crazy:
  19. mikhail1973

20. mikhail1973

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.