1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are looking at all players, or just starters?

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

team era I thought. maybe I screwed up... something seems off.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The YTD run differential is not that far off from the ERA. In 1984 the opposition averaged 3.96 runs per game for the whole season (gave up 643 runs in 162 games) This year they are slightly ahead of the curve at 4.04 actual runs per game 198 runs in 49 games. Those extra runs could be from walks etc.... The current staff has 3 shut out games, which is ranked 18 in the majors...
    ?????? I realize now this should be in the rambling thread....

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Porcello locked into a pitcher's duel.

Through 7 innings, he's allowed 3 hits, 0 walks, and struck out 10!

Gomez matching him with a 3 hitter of his own and only 1 walk.

This is our 5th or 6th best starting pitcher.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

OK my bad...

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jason Grilli mows down the heart of our order to ice the game in the 11th.

Still a great performance by Porcello with 0 runs allowed, 11 K's and 1BB in 8.0 innings. If you take away Porcello's 0.2 inning 9 run blow up 7 games ago, he's actually looking OK with an adjusted 3.75 ERA.

A total of 14 runs allowed in his last 6 starts and 38.0 innings (3.32 ERA). 6 walks compared to 37 strikeouts in this stretch!

ERA/ adj ERA for each starter (for adjusted, I subtracted out their worst game of the year and left all the others)
    2.38/ 1.76 Sanchez
    3.42/ 2.98 Scherzer
    3.65/ 3.16 Fister
    3.68/ 2.70 Verlander
    6.28/ 3.75 Porcello (with only a 0.2 inning mulligan)

Notice how much better Porcello stacks up with only a minor 2/3rds inning adjustment out of 54 innings pitched. He's still our 5 man, but the gap is very slim and within the margin of error.

And again, how good has Valverde been? 1 run allowed this season with a 0.75 ERA in 12 IP. Who would have ever thought the problem that everyone fretted over all off season would have been solved by the guy we gave up on (besides Leyland)?

7. LA Dre

Can't expect the heart of the order to do it all the time, then again maybe we should.

Dirks left a man on second twice in this game, Martinez left Fielder stranded on second and Pena left 3 runners on base too. Once again we ask why the the 84 team jumped off to 35-5 and this team was 23-17 after 40? The 84 team got the key hits when you had men in scoring position and this 2013 team, although leading the league in both hits and runs, don't get them at key times.

Great pitching performance by Porcello, but how many great performances have been wasted due to poor hitting at the end of the game by our guys facing the bullpen of our opponent and inconsistent pitching by our bullpen that gives up the winning runs.

Let's hope we can get 3 out of five of these upcoming road games vs the Pirates and Orioles.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pirates have a better record than us and a staff that is one of the few that could rival ours. They have the best BA against at .225.

The Grilli story is sort of interesting. He used to get booed at Comerica. Traded for nothing. 4 teams later he's leading baseball in saves. After the trade, Leyland defended him "I like Grilli because he's got a resilient arm...There's a lot to be said for that."

He also runs an actual business on the side!?

Jason Grilli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. BillLaimbeer

Did you see Grilli go nuts after the win? He was fist-pumping, jumping up and down, and screaming like he just won the World Series. A little built-up frustration maybe?

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Blame this loss on Leyland!!! AGAIN!!!!!! After Sanchez threw 131 pitches in his last start, JL told Tigers Live! that he'd have a short string on Sanchez today!!
    Even though Anny had only 66 pitches after 6 innings,. How much of a shorter leash did he need?JL should have went to Smyly for the next 3 innings!!!! These managers doing things by "pitch counts' and 'lefty -righty matchups' drive me nuts!! JL should have stuck to his word as Sanchez just didnt have any steam left and his manager left him in until 27 pitches later!

11. BillLaimbeer

Are you serious? Sanchez had 9 strikeouts and had gotten 9 consecutive batters out heading into the 7th inning. If Sanchez was removed at that point, Leyland would have been labeled insane. No manager in their right mind would have taken Sanchez out at that point.

coynejeremy likes this.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I just think there's some serious BS going on when guys with 5 ERAs pitch 1 hitters against us.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When did that happen?

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

15. LA Dre

I don't blame this on Sanchez or the manager....the Pirates hitters and hitting coach saw something and got to him whether it was skills or luck. Despite our high powered lineup, and supposedly on paper great pitching, we still lose these games because of failure to get the key hit when needed. The manger and batting coaches and maybe the GM and definitely the players have to take some heat though for not coming through when necessary.

Teams like Pittsburgh and Texas are still one up on us due to consistency either on the mound or in the batters box. We still don't have the consistency in either spot. I am sure it will come, but the growing pains just frustrates us all when we all feel they are underachieving and the first person to blame is usually the manager. The Tigers pitching staff has 10 saves this year.. the Pirates Jason Grilli has 22. The Tiger pitching staff has recorded 2 shut outs this season.

When I was listening to yesterday's game, the Pirates' announcer indicated that the Tigers had put together a streak of 43 straight games of at least on extra base hit and that was finally broken Tuesday night when they were shut out.....who knew?? Pretty impressive, but still only 7 games over .500 when a team like the Cardinals who we never get any fanfare on are 18 games over.

Nemo likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We've only shutout 2 teams but I also think that we've only been shut out twice ourselves.

We have a 1.5 game lead in our division and we have the highest run differential in the AL at +64. That is 21 better than Boston, despite their better record. The Cardinals lead baseball at +74.

We have the best offense in baseball and a better than average overall pitching package. Our starting 4 pitchers are easily in the top 3 rotations, so in a playoff environment, we very well be the toughest team to beat. Our 5th man just had a fantastic outing, our middle relievers have been pretty good, and Valverde just got off to an incredibly great start to the season after falling into oblivion last year. Smyly, Benoit, and Valverde have a combined 1.73 ERA on the season in 67.2 innings. Those are the guys that we're going to ride in the post season. Even Downs and Albequerque are below 3.00 ERA combined.

Coke, Rondon, Dotel, and Villereal have given up 31 runs in 25.2 innings. That is 16.15% of our total runs allowed this season in only 5.4% of the innings pitched.

With all that said, I'm actually very happy with our standing at this point in the season. ESPN's algorithm has us at 82% odds of making the playoffs with Texas being the only team in the AL with marginally higher odds. We're hitting better than the '84 squad, we have a guy who appears to be in the running for another triple crown, our starting pitchers are strikeout machines, and our biggest perceived need all off-season appears to have been filled by Papa Grande.

There may have been some reduced production recently with Austin Jackson out of the lineup. Dirks and Infante have been great in his absence, but Don Kelly has been playing on a nightly basis as well, which is like adding a pitcher to the lineup.

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

all I'm saying is JL said very boldly on TV that Sanchez would not go long. Tking him out after 6 would have made all the sense in the world BASED ON what Smokes said in his postgame interview after the 1 hitter! I cant help it if I Do watch more than JUST the game. Now what it says at a news conference wont mean a thing to me.

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

And if you can remember, STATS mean nothing to me...YOU PLAY to WIN the GAME- Herm Edwards

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

20. BillLaimbeer

coynejeremy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.