Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tigers just got SWEPT by the 4-10 (now 7-10) Angels. It wasnt the bullpen's fault either. THREE things are VERY apparent about this team going down another 85 win season path:

1. WE HAVE NO BENCH!!!!!!! You cant tell me Quentin Berry would make more of a difference on this team than Don Kelly! We had no one who could run for Pena after he got on base in the 12th inning. Danny worth is 10 times the fielder that Peralta and Infante are. Berry is hitting .258 with 7 stolen bases and 4 doubles. We also need some rookie punch in Garcia and Castellanos. We have NO ONE on our bench with pinch hitting skills or late inning power. If we dont think they can step up, package one along with Porcello in a trade for a proven vet. We could have Vernon Wells for a song!!!!!

2. WE HAVE NO POWER!!!! As great as Cabrera and Fielder are-THATS IT on the long ball circuit. Martinez ONLY hit 13 homers before his injury. When Trumbo stepped up in the 13th inning, I knew it was 'game over!' If anyone other than the big two homers on this team, Its a big surprise . We have to reach into our minor league base and pull a big trade. Napoli, Wells, Ibanez, Carlos Lee, were all available. I think we can steal Stanton from Florida and I would trade Porcello and 4 minor leaguers to do IT!!!

3. WE HAVE NO LEFT FIELDER OR CATCHER!!! I am convinced that Dirks is over his head and that Avila has seen his best years. Already. Again, a big trade is needed because these are two positions that need some pop,

This is still going to be a very good team,but we need some changes by June 1 to make us more formidable.

By the way, Delmon Young is 4-22 on rehab assingment in AAA.

Woody likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the bright side, Fister has looked really good in 4 starts. The bullpen threw shutout ball for 5 consecutive innings.

The Tigs left the bases loaded 3 times. Martinez is REALLY struggling. Austin went 0-for-7 today. When he struggles, the team seems to struggle.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The game started at 12:35 local time and I live 45 minutes/45 miles from Angel Stadium. Mrs. Dre kept saying are going or not? After all there were a few tickets left on Stubhub running from $8.99 to $35 and it was 11:30 AM.

Well after spending $50 a piece for Clipper tickets last night, I didn't not really want to spend anymore cash on a Tiger team that may or may not show up. So...I chilled and clean out the hot tub while switching between the Tiger-Angel contest and the Laker-Spurs game. After seeing Mike Trout run around from first base on a Cabrera error, I figured this game was over even though it was only the third inning. I just had no faith in our batters coming back especially with the way 5-6-7 batters have been struggling.

Once Fielder tied it up, there was some hope, and I was second guessing if I should have gone to the game or not. After all, it was 82 degrees at the stadium and not a cloud in the sky. The fans were having fun in the sun and I was cleaning out a jacuzzi............. The game went into extra innings and then I knew the last team batting would probably win.

I know a batter has to bat out of slump, but looks like the Tiger brass have put too much faith in both Martinez and Dirks of extending any innings or knocking in the big guys. Jackson was 0-7, but even worse, was the performance of VMart who was 0-6 and left at least 7 runners on base, including leaving the bases loaded in the 1st and 9th innings. I am wondering if we need to move VMart down to 8th and maybe slot someone else in the 5th spot....but like Oldschool says WHO??? Avisail Garcia is not healed and I guess Qberry is not up to standards per the Tiger brass.

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Yes sir, Mr Dre. The only help for this team is not currently on this team. I believe Vic will snap out eventually but we still need a lot more tahn I previously thought. Dirks is an IDEAL bench player but he is a Not ready for Prime Time Player.

5. LA Dre

He's baaaccckk. Papa Grande gets save # 1 in his first game of the season...Tigers get back over .500 at 10-9 and hopefully his return gives them the mojo to move the Tigers about 30 above .500 in the next 45 games.

Tigers win 7-5 after trailing 4-1 after 2.5 innings.

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

AY!!!!!!! CURUMBA!!!!!!!!! LOL

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He actually doesn't seem so bad anymore! Welcome back Papa Grande.

8. LA Dre

VMart got a couple of key hits tonight...but when the third base coach waved him home in the third inning, it appeared that he could have just waltz straight to dugout instead of snailing it into home plate. Didn't help either that Peralta's bat was laying in the base line and Fielder didn't get a chance to pick it up after he scored.

Just think if Martinez had tried to slide and torn something??? Brookens would have felt the wrath of both Leyland and Dombrowski...

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

OSHQ, i was gonna go Delmon Young on you...nevermind
    Dombrowski will figure it out, any doubt ?

10. BillLaimbeer

Famous last words....

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just mean that we weren't really that solid in his absence.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

let him blow a few saves then we'll see.
    If our hold guys can't do 1-2-3 with 1 hit or walk, Leyland must hook.

13. LA Dre

We just need runs-runs-runs to win (as do all teams). We are deficient in home run power and even worst with runners in scoring position.

Today Leland trotted out another pitcher to fill in for Verlander (who had a bad thumb) and the guy (Bruce Rondon?) gave up the tying run and three hits to the first six batters he faced.
    Instead of a nice close out in the 8th and 9th, we go into extra innings, because the Tiger bats have been silenced on only 5 hits.

Coke loads the bases in the tenth, walks in a run and the next reliever gives up a grand slam.

Will be glad when the real Tiger season starts in June...:cheeky-smiley-012:

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don Kelly really can't hit. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup.

15. BillLaimbeer

Offensive exploded for 10 runs in 4 innings. Anibel Sanchez is mowing them down, 0 runs and a franchise record 17 strikeouts.

LA Dre likes this.
  16. LA Dre

Wonder if JL will let him pitch the ninth? Just to get the complete game shut out and maybe 20K's

17. LA Dre

Guess not...brought the guy who blew the save yesterday Rondon, who looked better tonight retiring three batters on 9 pitches. If he had done that last night we would be riding a nice modest 3 game win streak. Sanchez had over 125 pitches, so I understand JL......good signing, money well spent

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was masterful. Sanchez looking like our 2nd best pitcher. Awesome performance. Almost every pitch was exactly were he wanted it... Including the bouncers and the walk.

According to ESPN, only 1 pitcher has struck out more than 17 batters in 8 innings since 1921! That was Randy Johnson with 18 in 1992. Think about how many games have been played during this stretch and that only 1 guy exceeded what Anibel did tonight. And he did it against the 1st place Braves... not exactly lightweights.

I looked at the strike zone plotting too and it wasn't a generous strike zone. Basically, the ump called a clean game.

linwood likes this.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I just watched Castellanos and Toledo play down here at Durham Bulls Stadium. He'll be in the lineup by Allstar Break. He hit homers on back to back nights. and 3 of the 4 nights here!!!!! I also saw Wil Myers play. Two words- AW SOME!!!

...BTW...Berry went 1 for 19 in the series!!!

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This one I DID call..thank YOU! lol...Sanchez is our number two and this team is definetly built for the playoffs....We still need some POP!! I wonder if Tuiasosopo cant have a one in a lifetime season??? Say its so, Joe Charbeneau!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.