Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Miguel Cabrera 2013 Hank Aaron Award winner!!!
  2. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Congrats for Miggy.

To put my two cents in, in the 1960's and 1970's there was still no designated hitter. That makes pitching
    much easier, less stressful not having to pitch to another good hitter in the middle of the lineup. That's another
    reason why so many fewer complete games now. Plus the much increased use of relievers. We really need to
    fix the bullpen going forward. A dominant Rondon would be a major help. I don't have much faith in Vergas, Al-Al, and
    even Smyly. He's a starter. Plenty of work for Dombrowski before next year.

My wish list: trade Fielder to the Marlins for Staunton, put him in left, Castellanos at third, and Miggy back at first. Might have to trade Scherzer along with Fielder to get some team to take Fielder and give us a good outfielder! Git-er-done, Dombo!
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like Prince. He seems to have fun playing the game.

He has played 2 seasons for the Tigers:
    * 2 All-Star games
    * 2 seasons with 100+ RBI
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

you cant trade Fielder to Marlins : they have no money! BUT Ive been saying all year to get Stanton. He is young and tired of playing in Miami bcuz NO ONE will give him a strike to hit! I'd trade Castellanos and Alburquerque for him though. Hell, I'd trade Porcello for him straight up and start Smyly next year.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I like him too..And Cabrera didnt get hurt playing third base. he was very good and will be better with Iglesias. Fielder will battle back. He has two sons and he dont want them to see him become a punk.
  6. LA Dre

I hate losing Scherzer as he didn't even get us a W/S win last year and only what 2 post season win this year. (in the ALDS) But if his trade value provides another power hitter and some reliever, I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.

What Dom has to work on over the winter is someone who can hit over the fence, when Fielder is in a funk. We had plenty of batters who hit 300, including late bloomer VMart, but there was no consistent power hitters other than Miggy, especially when Peralta went underground for 50 games.

Then he has to find a better setup and hold man, because Al-Al and Veras just could do it.

And last, find a utility player with speed that can hit.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Fielder will be fine if he loses a few pounds.
    Hopefully a new manager can figure out the bullpen.
    We should only need one new face out there.
    Practice base stealing in the off season.
    Sign... or get value for Scherzer. Don't let it drag into the season.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That didn't rhyme Neems.
    Fielder will be fine if he loses a few pounds.
    Practice base stealing in the off season.
    The bullpen gets better with value for Scherzer
    One new face will set the pace.
    A new manager that's a great planner
    Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

TheeTFD...you clean up real well. :)
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I think the Scherzer price tag will be too high for Detroit to keep him given who his agent is. Tigers at some point might have to renegotiate with Miggy, who probably deserves to be the highest paid player in the league. If Cano ends up getting more $$$ than Cabrera, Tigers will have to re-up with Miggy. Miggy deserves more money than Verlander.
  11. BillLaimbeer

I'm not sure you can practice base stealing. Our team speed is pathetic. Plus, we strikeout a ton. That's the way the team was built. When Jackson was hot, the team was unbeatable. He and Hunter were setting up the big fellas.

I don't think the team has a lot of needs. It could easily contend for another World Series if things fall into place.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Scherzer deserves about what Justin makes. I always thought they push each other. Scherzer stays !
  13. BillLaimbeer

I agree. They both have been excellent. The only difference is that JV has done it for 8 years and Max has done it for 4 years. Scherzer has earned himself a big payday.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, notice how the 2 teams with the highest run differentials this year are meeting in the WS. In addition, each of the 6 division winners were the teams with the highest run differential in their divisions.

One other random thought. Stolen bases should probably be added to SLG% and therefor OPS. (i.e. a single + a stolen base is just as good as a double the vast majority of the time). A single and a caught stealing is just as valid as a single where the batter is thrown out trying to stretch it into a double.

Adjusting OPS's for both Trout and Cabrera narrows their difference from .988-1.078 to 1.045-1.087

Add in defense and... Trout might have some MVPs coming his way over the next 10 years.
  15. ggazoo69

16. BillLaimbeer

So, you converted 33 of Trout's singles into doubles?
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, and 3 of miggy's. I think it's legit and have thought through some of the what have yous.

The biggest argument that I can think of against factoring steals in is that a double is more attractive than a single + a stolen base because the double advances base runners more than a single does. However, most of the time when you get a single, the base runners score from 2nd and 3rd. When a runner is at 1st, they usually only advance to 2nd. So, when they are at 2nd and 3rd, there is no difference between the two. When they are at 1st and advance to 2nd off of a single, there is no opportunity to steal anyway, so this adjustment doesn't apply.

There is a smaller difference between a double and a walk/steal than the difference between a single and a walk in terms of moving base runners as far as I can figure.

I thought about netting out "caught stealing", but I don't think that makes sense as I noted earlier since hitters still get their singles when they are caught trying to extend into a double. They are effectively trying to steal 2nd base on those and it doesn't negatively affect their SLG or OPS when it doesn't work out for them.

There are some subtler benefits to the single/steal combo in that it disrupts pitchers' rhythms, and pulls defenders out of optimal position to guard against further stealing.

I'm sure there is a WARP type statistic that factors this in, but I'm just wondering why they don't blatantly add it to SLG.

I've seen rumors that the Tigers may be targeting Ellsbury in FA this year. He would have the biggest upward adjustment based on this due to his 52 SBs. His OPS would go from .781 to .871. That would be enough to lift him from 60th to 20th in MLB and 2nd on our team behind only Cabrera.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    The Panda likes this.
  18. LA Dre

Isn't ironic that David Ortiz is hitting over .760 in five WS games after hitting just .190 vs Tiger pitching??

In fact if he has tied a record getting on base 9 straight times between games 3 and 5.

I mean if not for one lucky? swing vs Benoit, he probably would have been sitting at home cursing and spitting in hands watching the Tigers battle the Cards.

...and maybe Fielder would have been the left handed guy teeing off on Cardinal pitching..:cheeky-smiley-012:
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You just ruined my day.
  20. ggazoo69

And this is a big "maybe"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.