Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tough ball 4 called on Scherzer when he threw a brilliant trike. Went from 2 outs and 1 on with our ace on the mount to 1 out with 2 on and our pen in the game. Turning point for sure.

Victorino did a great job in adjusting and hitting the 3rd straight breaking ball out in left. He looked lost on the first two and I was wondering if Veras was going to come back with another one.

Good series. Boston was tough and well balanced.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Tiger season is over......good one for some....finished tied for third place with the Dodgers in the final MLB standings. I know HQ will provide his summary on Sunday, but I am still on Hawaii time so I can stay up and type a few comments about what transpired while I was away.

This is a major disappointment to Tiger fans everywhere.

First of all, all glory to Leyman, Dombrowski, Miggy and Scherzer for getting 93 regular season W's and 5 postseasons W's

Third year in a row, the Tigers get to the ALCS, and the second time suffer big time failure. This ALCS loss seems to be even worst than last years' 4-0 game sweep in the WS.

Two issues....Fielder batted .182 (less than his weight) , no extrabase hits, no RBI no cigar, no champagne, no win for the Tigers. Second issue...bullpen failure. Tigers Iggy for future years prior to the trade deadline, but failed to make a play for a reliable reliever despite issues in the first half of the season. Decided to rely on Smiley, AL-AL, Veras and Benoit for bullpen duty and it cost them in two of the 4 losses.

The Tigers relied on power pitching from the starters and power hitting from two batters, Miggy and Fielder. The Red Sox won three games where our two best pitchers started. Our two power hitters failed to go yard and the Red Sox won 4 games on the strength of 4 homers, one in each win.....two by Mike Napoli, and a grand slam in each of the games that Scherzer started. In each instance, Leyland over thought the process and decided to play pitching roulette instead of leaving in the probable Cy Young award winner.

Granted I was in flight for each game that Scherzer pitched, so have had to rely on highlights from ESPN, MLB networks and my PF and FB friends to give me first hand accounts of these two games. Tonight, I actually landed at the airport and it was 2-1 Tigers, but before my plane could taxi to the gate, I saw the score jumped to 5-2 and once again I yelled silently..damn you Leyland!!

The Red Sox are going to the WS after batting .206 for the series and striking out 73 times.....which tells you that the long ball will trump good pitching almost all of the time. How many homers did the Tigers hit in the series 2 and both in the same game...

Tigers needed more power and relied on Miggy and Fielder who weren't up to the task. Avila hit one out I think, but he was like Infante and Fielder batter under .190 for the series and he struck out 3 times tonight. Did he throw out anybody at second this week? If he was hurting, why not try out Pena??

Iggy...two costly errors in the series. It was almost as if he Fielder and Leyman were wearing Red Sox underwear under their clothing.

Shane Victorino batted .125 for the series and had struckout 9 times, but delivered the series winning grand slam. David Ortiz, batted .091 for the series, but delivered what I call the series saving grand slam. Both grand slams came off the bull pen in the seventh inning of a game that Max had started and the Tigers were leading in.

Tigers starters gave up 8 earned runs....3 each by Scherzer and Max, and one each by Fister and Verlander. Tigers relievers gave up 8 earned runs and an unearned run. The series was tight with 4 one run victories....unfortunately the Tigers were on on the short end of three of them. Final composite sox win in runs 19-18 and the series 4-2.

And finally as we reflect on what could have been, you have to think about if the Tigers had put Miggy on the DL for 15 games to allow him to rest, would he have at least made up for Fielders short comings in post season play. I mean they still won the division with him hitting one dinger in the last regular 30 regular season games. Jhonny took the 50 game suspension and even though that yielded Iggy, the power outage by the Tigers and the surging by the Indians and Royals, pressured the Tigers in playing Miggy to secure the division crown and Fielder thinking more about game streaks than resting his own non-productive self, may have been the Tigers undoing despite having Sanchez, Max, and JV poised to grab the first three games of the series.

How ironic would it be if the two Cy Young winners both lose the series deciding games?? Could happen with the Max and the Dodger's Clayton Kershaw.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dom needs to take some of the blame for not getting Leyland a bully.
    If a starter says he's done, you gotta go to the bully. Rarely will they give up the ball without having been chased.
    This team played fine without Miggy. Shoulda fixed him.
    I don't know if Leyland is the problem ?

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

A few Nemo thoughts.

Since September 6th...Tigers only hitting .250
    Cabrera's loss of power due to injury was #1 hitting issue.
    Fielder turning into Homer Simpson was issue #2.
    Relief pitching was questionable all season...never fixed.
    Just think what woulda happened if Verlander came in for relief duty yesterday.
    Possible Last game...time to pull out all the stops.

Need to sign Scherzer this off season.
    Keep Leyland.......

TheeTFD likes this.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Difference in this series: clutch hitting. Red Sox got hits at crucial times. We didn't. Miggy was a mere mortal. Fielder was on the planet Pluto (even though it isn't a planet anymore). VMart was the only consistent hitter as Peralta fell off a little. Ajax picked it up, which was nice to see. Iglesias had some weird lapses, but I'm glad he's a Tiger. Avila was beat up repeatedly. I think a brushback is in order next season for whoever ran him over. Can't remember who it was. Sanchez was inconsistent. Max was great. Verlander was great. We didn't get to see that much of Fister, but he was decent. Would have liked to see what Verlander could do in Game 7. During all of it, I don't think many Tigers fans had confidence this lineup could get crucial hits and that the Red Sox could. I think this lack of confidence starts with the manager.

This one stings since I live in CT and work in Massachusetts. I have to prepare my "comebacks" today for smug Red Sox Nation.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was/am rooting for the Red Sox and I was happy when they took Scherzer out. He was throwing 97 the inning before he came out and hadn't lost command.

He should have gotten a louder ovation when he was removed but the crowd was probably too busy cheering Leyland.

7. ggazoo69

I didn't have a problem with Scherzer coming out either. I knew the bullpen would probably blow it, but you can't just rely on the starters.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I did. If his pitch count was 55 they would not have taken him out.

They took out their best player because of a number and not his performance.

He is going to have an extra pep in his step covering 1st in the pitchers fielding drills next spring though.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

Woody likes this.
  9. LA Dre

In this case when the series is on the line, you let the probably Cy Young winner prove that he can get you out of it. He did it in the 6th, let him try it in the 7th. Someone pitched 130+ innings just a couple of weeks ago in the first round of the playoffs (David Price or Yu Darvish"?) Max wasn't going to pitch again until at least Wednesday....leave him in there and let him win or lose it with his own pitches instead of watching the bullpen give up the winning blow with your runners on base.

Leyland did Scherzer no service taking him out of games 2 or 6. If he indeed wins the CYA, some will remember that he pitched two ALCS games and his manager , bullpen, team lost both of them.

I still say the series was lost in game 2. Leaving Max in there to pitch the 7th inning probably allows the Tigers to go up 2-0,. A clutch dinger in game 3 possibly ties game 3 and possible win there. They won game 4..so you are looking a t possible 4-1 or 4-2 series win by the Tigers instead of them going over to congratulate Quentin Berry for getting back to the World Series again...:cheeky-smiley-012:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  10. ggazoo69

I wonder if he will be in a Tigers uniform while doing it.

By the way, for all of you thinking Scherzer could go longer, he's never had a complete game in his MLB career.

11. ggazoo69

More on Scherzer: He had 108 pitches in Game 2 and ASKED to come out. He had 110 pitches in Game 6 and was less effective IMO than in Game 2. I think Leyland has made some mistakes but this wasn't one of them. Scherzer puts a ton of strain on his arm in the way he delivers the ball. He looks like Kerry Wood out there.

12. LA Dre

You are not going to get that stat added to your resume when you are managed by Jim Leyman.

Verlander has started 266 games in his 9 years with the Tigers and only has 20 complete games

In contrast, Jack Morris pitched 14 years for the Tigers and had 154 complete games in 404 starts.

Mickey Lolich had 29 complete games in 1971 out of 45 starts, and a career total of 190 complete games via 459 starts in 13 years with the Tigers.

Either the pitchers in the 70's and 80's were more men than the pitchers of today or Leyman and his pitching coaches are just to overly protective.

13. ggazoo69

There is much more emphasis now on specialty relief pitchers than there was then. There is a setup guy for the setup guy and then the final guy. Seemed to work just fine for Boston. I wouldn't say Max was completely done, but he was close. This decision isn't what lost the Tigers the series.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

15. ggazoo69

Fielder' Flop: An enduring image and a visual metaphor for "coming up short."

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Who here thinks we had an ALCS quality bully ?

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Easily could have won this series with 2 mulligan pitches.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

And 4 clutch hits.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dre maybe these guys are having longer careers.

20. LA Dre

It appears that even going on the 15 day DL it would not have cured Miggy and to put it bluntly we just didn't have anybody else with big enough balls to fill in for him, so he played with the sore groin until the end...

Tigers' Cabrera might need groin surgery

OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.