Tigers 2013 Season Review

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Oct 20, 2013.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I'm not going to bore or excite anyone witha bunch of stats and who lead the league in what. I am still a firm believer in how it doesnt matter if u get 12 hits and lose 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th. The stats on the screen never show how many runners you left on base, or caught at home plate, or couldnt score from second base on a base hit. The proof is on the field. I have MLB.tv and I may have watched 150 games this year. And I go by is what i saw this. Which is this:

HITTING: When The tigers were BEHIND, they were SECOND in baseball with a .279 batting average HOWEVER they were EIGHTEENTH in runs scored. Clutch hitting killed this team all year. That screams a team that has trouble creating offense. Hopefully, we can do something next year to makethis offense more rugged and aggressive ,instead of having a manager who's rule is 'dont anything to take the bat out of his hands!"

BATTERS:
    CATCHERS: AVILA, PENA, HOLLODAY......I want Avila out of here. Unless he finds a yoga or spa expert to revive his body, his onfield demeanor and low producing bat can't happen at his position. he just plays and swings like he it's killing him. It'll be a miracle if he ever gets back to his all-star form. Pena is one solid backup and is in my top 10 team MVP votes. Holloday has potential to be a good backup but I havent seen enough of him.
    GRADE: C-

1ST BASE: FIELDER........The most overated statistical season by any player in the league,. For real baseball people who actually watch the games, It was ridiculous. 624 official at bats and ONLY 25 homers! Two many strikeouts and groundouts with RISP. 106 RBI in his case only looks good on a baseball card. If he hit last year's .314, he would have had 150 RBI. I was way wrong picking him as AL MVP...he may have been the AL LVP. GRADE: C

2ND BASE: INFANTE, Perez, Santiago.....He has become a Placido Polanco type player, but without the fire. The games he missed this year were as important as the ones Peralta missed. He was underused as a number 7 or 8 hitter, especially when Jackson slumped. GRADE: B

3RD BASE: CABRERA...The best hitter Ive ever seen. Clearly the AL MVP. He should been rested and will be more next season. He was not fresh for the playoffs. I think next year will be the greatest single season in our lifetime. GRADE: A Plus

SHORTSTOP: PERALTA, IGLESIAS....PEDS or not, peralta was very good when he played. His defense was solid when he could get to the ball. Then came the suspension. So we got Iglesias, who was as smooth as Omar visquel. i'd like to see both of them play next year. GRADE: A

OUTFIELD:: HUNTER, JACKSON , DIRKS.....Take out Hunter and this group underachieved everywhere. Jackson got hurt and all of his stats dipped. Dirks is a not ready for prime time player. Tuiasosopo was not existent after the Allstar game, Kelly was a good 25th man, no one else mattered. Castellanos looks like another Brennan Boesch. GRADE: C

PITCHING:

STARTERS: The best in baseball. NNuff said GRADE: A plus

RELIEVERS: The worst in baseball sans Drew Smyly and Benoit. Not one of the other guys you can you trusted when they entered the game. Hopefully, Rondon gets in shape and takes his arm seriously. Other than that, a big trade looms large. GRADE: Smyly =A Benoit = B Others =D

MANAGEMENT: DOMBROWSKI AND LEYLAND have got to get something going for a make it or break it 2014. They have to do what's obvious to most of us:

- GET A NO NONSENSE STOP THE BLEEDING CLOSER. If its Papelbon, so be it. He only threw 61 innings this year cuz the Phillies were so bad. That gives you Benoit, Rondon and Pap as your 7/8/9 inning gang.
    - GET A LEFT FIELDER WITH AGGRESSION....I said all year that are players sans Hunter are too clean. we need a Gomes or Victorino type dirt bag who goes home on a wild pitch and takes out second baseman on DP's.
    - MAKE A NO JOKE TRADE TO SHAKE UP THE TEAM....Meaning attitudes like Fielder (eh, I cant dwell on it) won't be tolerated. This team IS kind of full of themselves (Verlander and Cabrera) and I hope this embarassing end of season woke them up.
    - FIRE LEYLAND OR HIS STAFF.....either your staff goes or you go should be the montra. The AAA team finished in last place meaning losing attitudes come from losing coaches. I do like pitching coach Jones but I'd like to see him managing the Mud hens so we can have pitchers come up READY for prime time. But mcClendon, Lamont and Brookens have to go. My new choice for Tigers manager? Dont be suprised if the former mighty mite second baseman, Rafe Belliard could light this team's fire.

Anyway, The season wasnt a failure but not a success. The pace has to be set early in 2014. A line in the sand has to be drawn. Certain players HAVE to go: COKE, VERAS, TUIASOSOPO, DIRKS,AVILA (maybe) and KELLY witha special mention of FIELDER> Only because he is young enough to merit a trade (for ,if he is healthy, Texiara?)

GRADE: B-

Nemo and LA Dre like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

No grades from me. I enjoyed the season. Even Homer Simpson should go home and enjoy his kids. The season should not weigh on the players.

Things I'd like for next season though.
    1. Prince loses 30 pounds. This will help his joints/back last longer and extend his career.
    2. Trade a starter for a decent closer.
    3. Increase steals next season from 35 to 65. Boston had over 120 steals. Those helped them get extra runs during the season.
    4. Don't expect Cabrera to have another A+ season...not likely.
    5. Manager needs to motivate players in some fashion to increase clutch hitting. Players need a kick in the pockets sometimes.
    6. Start looking for that replacement manager...the future is near.

LA Dre likes this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor