Tigers Tigers 2012

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by LA Dre, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I dunno, I am in favor of the electronic strike zone.

coynejeremy likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would increase my enjoyment of the sport dramatically. What is the point in having a moving and inconsistent target? Did lasers on the lines ruin tennis?

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I taught you well.
    I taught you well.
    You would still need some kind of H.P.Ump. for plays at the plate.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My idea is to let the home plate ump wear an earpiece or have a little buzzer that signals when a pitch is a strike. He can still hunch over the catcher and do his thing and the fan experience won't be any different. The ump can still call foul tips, catcher interference, and many other things.

The subtleties would lie in how they calculate the strike zone. For instance, if the umps have been calling it x" off the plate throughout history, do you set the zone like that or do you set it to the exact parameters of the plate? The rulebook says that the entire ball has to be within the boundaries, but that is not how it's been called in the modern day.

Is the strike zone a plane that lies at the front edge of the plate or is it a 3 dimensional shape that floats over it? i.e. can a ball that is curving miss the front plane and still catch a piece of the zone? Imagine an extreme example of a slow pitch softball pitch that drops on the plate and probably passed through the zone. In practice right now, it's a 3-dimensional shape, but I think the rules are silent on it (defining it as something like "from knicker bottoms to suspenders and broad as the plate."). They basically don't give the depth to it, but don't say that it has no depth.

In the 3-dimensional shape, it is iteresting to think that the shape would be pentagon shaped from the bird's eye view. That would mean that you could catch the back edge of it with a high pitch more easily if it were in the middle of the plate than inside or outside portion. It might make more sense to cut off the back triangle of the plate for electronic zone purposes and then modify the rules to include depth on the zone, extending back to the end of the rectangle.

The height issue is also one to consider. It would be easy to measure every player when they come into the league and set it a certain way. When the batter comes to the plate, the zone automatically adjusts. There is probably a pattern of enforcement that is different than the rule book here too, so you'd have to go with the precedent or revert to the rule book, which would cause a change in the game.

All these things are pretty easily solvable I would think, but they would need to be addressed.

And if the technology was buggy or failed, the homeplate ump would take over the game like nothing was wrong. He'd be so accustomed to seeing perfect balls and strikes that his calling would probably be improved at that point.

Strike zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Agree with the sentiments about taking balls and strikes calls away from the umpires. It's way too inconsistent. It would probably cut down on arguments, too. The ump could always say, "Hey, I didn't make the call!"

6. mikhail1973

This reminds me of the famous three umpires story:

The first umpire said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call them like they is.”
    Umpire number two said: “No, there’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call ‘em like I see ‘em.”
    But it’s umpire number three that I like. He said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, but they ain’t nothin’ until I call them.”

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was expecting a funny punchline at the end.

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm ok with different strike zones from diff umps as long as there the same for both teams, and he tends to have the same strike zone game to game that he calls.

I think this might be a failure though of the Manager to see that JV was destined to have a long night and pushed him to game 2. Double this when we know that the old man had said JV was only pitching 2 games, there was going to be no 1,4,7.... Also game one was the game most likely for Detroit to be flat, so use game 1 as a throw away game... assume as a manager that its a lose and hope for the best.

TheeTFD and Nemo like this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

They should use the electronic strike zone to evaluate the home plate umpires. If they are calling it too high, too wide, etc., then they have to make adjustments. Every umpire should strive to have the same strike zone, the one defined by the MLB rulebook.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's exactly what they do.

Technology's Place in the Strike Zone - NYTimes.com

Interesting tidbit from the article:
    That obviously shouldn't be the case. 45% increase in size to favor the pitcher on a 3-0? Garbage.

And if the players really decide that they like it that way, just program it in and tell them all that the machine will include some variability and will vary the zone depending on the count.

11. BillLaimbeer

Would the electronic strike zone take away from the fan experience? Isn't part of the fun getting mad at the umpire?

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've always liked Leyland. Nobody is perfect.

Congratulations to the Tigers on their terrific (not perfect) season!!

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. It's the same as when Tim Donaghy was point-shaving in the NBA. Getting rid of that would remove the human element from the game. We're not robots, guys.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. mikhail1973

It's tilting the playing field. As an example, an umpire can give corner strike calls to a lefty but not to a righty and vice versa. Some calls directly influence outcome of the game, like bases loaded one run game in the bottom of 9th full count pitch that is 2 feet off the plate is called a strike because the ump wants to get out of there.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A computer will be perfectly happy going 20 innings on a hot day.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Finally You Come to My Side !!!

---------Yeah Coy, we're not gambling robots.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I wanna see a batter kick dirt on an electric eye.........

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That would be an effort to cheat Nems and he would be done for the day.
    Also the batter box would remain pristeen through out the game, none of this standing behind the catcher so you can get a better look.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd love to see the curving pitches that would be called strikes that currently aren't because of where the catcher eventually catches them.

The biggest difference would be the high strike however. It just isn't called according to the rule book right now. May be another reason scoring was so low in the early stages of the game.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We can go a step further and just put the automated pitcher on the mound...:bow1: