Tigers Tigers 2012

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by LA Dre, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I meant more than Leyland is over-estimating him. I think Berry is better than Rayburn. I would say that Berry does some things well, like bunt and run. Jury is out on whether he is a decent ballplayer tho. I need a little bigger sample. He started out well, but so did Chris Shelton.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

our first lead !
  3. ggazoo69

I've never seen a situation where the bounces consistently went against one team. Baseball Gods hate the Tigers.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The baseball gods had nothing to do with that soft ball that Scherzer just lobbed down the middle to Posey. Argh. Tigers must scrape back.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like their MVP has one upped our MVP..
  6. ggazoo69

That is for sure. Meatball sandwich. I know Cabrera has a HR tonight, but I think he and Fielder should give some $$$$ back to Ilitch. Fielder, at least.
  7. LA Dre

If we can extend this series to the next game ....and then to the next...we may need to keep Delmon as that big bat that comes off the bench in PH situations next season.

Of course he will want more than you want to pay a PH, but heck it beats sending in Ramon Garcia, Q Berry and Brendan Boesh as your designated Pinch hitters.....IJS
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Damn, why were they chasing Romo's 1 ft outside slider ?
    Tigers go down in broom style !
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Need a few things:

1. New manager
    2. New hitting coach
    3. New good fielding short stop
    4. New closer

With V-Mart coming back next season, they have a pretty good chance to get right back to the series again.
  10. LA Dre

First of all congrats to the Giants for their second series championship in three years.

Also congrats to the Tigers for taking us on this ride to the end before dropping us off in the audience to watch the team on the other side of the field celebrate. :sweep:

JL should probably retire and hand it over to someone who is ready take this team to the "last team standing" status. His coaches

Agree that a new hitting/batting coach is needed. Six measly runs the whole series.....4th fewest in WS history. The team couldn't bunt, they swung at balls out of the strike zone and stared at balls that were right down the middle. You got some batters that have no patience and swung on the first pitch and others that just don't have good eye coordination when the ball comes at them.

Prince "ARod" Fielder needs to give back his post season salary and donate it to a charity. Not only was he just hanging around in the Yanks and A's series, he was a complete no show in the World Series going a rediculous 1-16 at the plate. Got nothing out of Berry, Dirks or Laird in the post season either. To bad the Triple Crown winner popped out with the bases loaded and struck out and was called out on strikes in his last two bats of his best season. Berry could never get the ball out of the infield with men on base.

I have no problem with Peralta at SS. I don't think he had a single error in the post season and was real big in throwing out several Yankees at first base. he was the hero during the A's series.

Time to let go of Boesch, Ramon Garcia, Raburn, Valverde and Laird. ...and probably Berry. I know some will say Young, but if we could still sign him as the stud off the bench that would be a coup. He may have been the only Tiger that hit over .275 for the post season.

Closer....Anybody who can beat out Coke would be great IMO.
  11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree with some things, but not with all. This team has Fister and Porcello that induce lots of ground balls and need someone at shortstop with a bigger range than Peralta. Tigers also need some more contact hitters in there and Jhonny, unfortunately, is not that.

I don't have a problem with Laird as he's only a backup and not a starter. With Avila healthy Laird doesn't get in there that much. Hopefully, Avila can heal before the next season so that he can take on normal duties of 110 or so games behind the plate.

With VMart back, I am not sure where Young fits as he is pretty much a DH at this point. He is awful in the outfield.

And this team desperately needs some speed including Jackson learning how to steal that 2nd base.
  12. ggazoo69

Interesting comments by all. I will be interested to see how V-Mart comes back. Will he be the same? Not sure what to do with Boesch. My concern is that he goes somewhere else and learns to hit. Is two years enough? Tigers have a lot of work to do, particularly in the relief pitching area. Valverde isn't going to work anymore. Even BL would agree with me on that. :biggrin: I wonder if they turn Smyly into a long reliever? He was decent in the postseason it seemed. I'm not a big fan of five righties making up our staff. Porcello is a good fifth IMO. I hope they sign Sanchez. Peralta stepped it up in the playoffs. He doesn't have great range, but once Miggy learns to play 3B better, maybe that's not as big a concern.

Don't know what to do with Delmon. You can't platoon Delmon and V-Mart. I think you package Delmon and Boesch and get some middle relief if possible.

As for the manager and the coaching staff. The only guy I'm interested in seeing again is Brookens. Pitching coach is OK, but if Leyland is not given an extension, I don't know if Jones stays.

Leyland's Tiger teams' record in two World Series: 1-8. I know Leyland's philosophy: You can't yell at these guys to inspire them to play better. I get that. But you have to do something else to inspire them beyond treating them "like men." I will be deeply disappointed if Leyland is back. I think it's time for him to call it a career. He's been a good manager, but his teams (other than the '97 Marlins) have shown a propensity for falling short. These Tigers fell way short on the biggest stage.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Dombrowski already said that Leyland is the 2013 manager if he wants to be.
  14. LA Dre

I like the idea of the trade for middle relief for Young and Boesh. But as indicated he if he is ok with signing a one year deal and being the a pinch hitter to help the Tigers get back to post season, I say sign him. Right now we have no pinch hitter that does anything other pop out, strike out or ground into a DP.

He is too young to be Gates Brown, but the other manager would have to think twice about it when the Tiger manager sends him up there to swing.

I am fine with Brookens and Jones staying and appreciate Leyland getting the Tigers to the promise land, but all of sudden he is starting to remind me of Flip Sanders by teasing us up to certain point, but not able to get over the hump.

1-8 in the Word Series and we were the favorite in both series??? If I were JL, I would probably have a talk with Dumbrowski and see if there is any other position in the front office I could take. We probably all agree Lloyd the hitting coach should be let go.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

All I would do is teach Miggy how to throw to first without hitting the dirt around first. As far as batting, I've seen too many teams that waited on strikes and got struck out, attack the pitch. Oh, except for the ones a foot off the plate.
    Let's not forget the 15 years where we couldn't sniff .500 or look below in the standings and see another team.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  16. LA Dre

How many pitches other than the one than the last pitch that caught Miggy napping did Romo throw out of the strike zone? We they looked like we were on a fishing expedition..:fishing:

I appreciate what Coke did in the ninth inning striking out the side, but we can only how many innings that we can actually really count him for extended work. I am still thinking with runs at a premium, maybe Jackson could have dove for that short single to center that knocked in the series clinching win, since I only had the TV view and he had had an error in the previous game he was being cautious.
  17. LA Dre

Reposting since my second paragraph above was garbled....
    How many pitches other than the one than the last pitch that caught Miggy napping did Romo throw out of the strike zone? We they looked like we were on a fishing expedition..:fishing:

I appreciate what Coke did in the ninth inning striking out the side, but we don't know how many innings that we can actually count on him for extended work, since he gave up the two costly singles in the 10th inning.

I am still thinking with runs at a premium, maybe Jackson could have dove for that short single to center that knocked in the series clinching win, since I only had the TV view and he had had an error in the previous game he was being cautious.
  18. BillLaimbeer

I think you let Delmon Young walk. Surely, you can find a more consistent hitter that can also play some defense. This gives you much needed flexibility with VMart coming back.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was my thought too. I'd risk giving up an inside the park HR to have a 1 in 5 shot of catching that ball. He probably wouldn't have been able to get it, but may as well lay out for it.

Bummer of a series, but we had our shots at it. After Verlander, it was really good pitching by our guys. We just got partially shut down and partially blew it in games 2 and 3, leaving plenty of guys on base and hitting into double plays, getting thrown out at the plate, etc. Judging on these 4 games, we are not as good as they are and it seemed very decisive. Their bullpen really stood out as a big difference. If they got to the 7th with the lead, it was game over. That then defeats the purpose of working the counts for us, b/c it almost got worse after we got the starters out. Defense was a difference too. Our guys didn't blow that many plays, but the difference in range was big.

I haven't thought about it in depth, but I am thinking that Young is gone to make way for VMart. No point in having 2 DH's. Valverde flamed out big time and it's probably it for him too. If you can't count on him in the playoffs, what good is he?

I would absolutely love to see us sign Sanchez.

Coming into the season, we knew that Verlander and Fister were really good. Scherzer was a question mark. Now we know that he would be the ace on most other teams and we know that Sanchez is just about as talented as Fister. Smyly and Porcello just got some great experience here and will be trusted more by the manager next year I would imagine.

If we had this rotation going from the start of the year, we truly would have walked away with the division and would have had a shot for the best record in the MLB. Add VMart, have Infante the whole year, eliminate the Raburn type experiments, and we'll be back next year.

But... winning it all takes near perfection + a hot streak at the right time. Looking forward to seeing what Dom does.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dre they chased 3 for strikes, Romo was pitching so scared when he finally came down the middle Miggy was stunned.