Thus far, Joe-D's screwed up this off-season..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 7, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So let's see what Joe has done this season:
    #1. Hired one of the best PG's to ever lace 'em up to coach the team and to try and see if he can get the most out of Brandon Knight. Now....NOBODY dogs Brandon as much as I do but let's talk about what's good about him. Intangibles: Great character. great attitude, great work ethic, great teammate, intelligent kid, plays with a ton of heart and hustle. Tangibles: Super fast, great rebounder at the PG position, 6'3", long arms, excellent defender at the point, good 3 pt shooter. So if Mo can smooth out the rough edges (bad handles, no PG inclination, no court vision) then we might already have the PG of the future. I bet Memphis is glad they didn't give up on Conley.

#2. Drafted a position of need. Pope is long and athletic, hustles hard and seems to be a really good defender. Seems not to long ago we were talking about trying to get some 3-D players on the wing. Joe has accomplished said goal by drafting the best 3-D possible with the 8th pick in the draft.

#3. Drafted what might be the steal of the draft in Tony Mitchell. Mitchell was a pre-season lottery pick and in the Summer League he's been a joy to watch. Mitchell could ultimately end up a being the 2nd coming of Shawn Marion.

#4. Drafted Peyton Siva. I'm pretty- 'eh' on the kid, but he's a pure floor general PG and he's a winner. About as good as you can get with the 56th pick so what's it hurt to take a look at the kid.

#5. Signed his targeted free agent. A guy many of us talked about getting over the course of last season but we truly felt like we had no shot. Joe also got him at a reasonable price.

#7. Hired Sheed to work with our 2 greatest assets- Monroe and Drummond. Is any explanation or justification even necessary? Good, let's move on.

#8. Re-upped Will Bynum on the cheap. One of the best backup PG's in the NBA and a great player to be able to bring a spark off the bench.

#9. Signed Luigi. The Italian Walter Herrmann! A 6'9" SF with decent handles and a sweet jumper.

Yeah, Dumards really screwed up this off season!

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure that I would have been as patient with JD as Gores, but I do appreciate patience in ownership in general. It's much to easy to change for the sake of change.

Joe is no dummy, but he did make some bad moves. I'm not sure how much was him and how much of it were things that he was pressured to do with the organization in flux. But the moves he's made (and not made) over the past few years aren't bad.

It's really tough to know if something like the hiring and subsequent firing of Frank was even his idea.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Joe really hasn't tested Gores' patience that much when you stop and think about it.
    IMO, Stuckey and Tay were the only mistakes that have been made by Joe under the Gores regime. Pretty much every other move that Joe has made under new ownership has been pretty good (granted, a lot of these moves were made in effort to recover from previous mistakes).

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

New management usually cleans house, that's all I meant. And in this case, Joe was clearly the most responsible one for the state of the team.

Maybe Gores is eternally grateful to JD for lowering the value enough for him to buy it.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sheed is also here to work with Smith.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wasn't really an advocate as Sheed as a coach, but he's starting to grow on me. Sheed will coach everyone on the roster, plus Hooper and the dance team. He never shuts up. He seems to be very positive, though. The Pistons have a lot of nice guys on the squad. They need more energy and swagger. Sheed can obviously help in that department.

raw36 and linwood like this.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I always thought that Sheed would be a good coach if he put his mind to it. He just seems to know the game and has desire to help other players.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There will be times where it will be a grind. There will be long road trips. There will be long losing streaks. How will Sheed react to these situations when things are going south?

linwood likes this.
  9. mikhail1973

We'll see. It's difficult to predict.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was solid as a player in those rough patches.

11. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Imagine this but with a suit jacket. :MusicBigGrin:

S.J. likes this.
  12. mikhail1973

Someone got a free game worn jersey - I see it as a plus.

13. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I proposed that deal. Someone asked me how I felt about the proposal in retrospect. Looooookkks good.

14. blueadams

With all due respect, I've got an opinion now and I can share it when I want to.

15. mikhail1973

Everyone here is entitled to his/her own opinion. Please respect other members' opinions irregardless of whether you think they are right or wrong, smart or stupid, etc.

coynejeremy likes this.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree with all of your points.

Except the one about Hooper. Hooper don't need no coaching, or more swagger. Ask Mr. Cheevers about Hooper's swagger.

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. mikhail1973

Who is Mr. Cheevers?

18. blueadams

I want to repeat this. To be clear. For the record.

Joe-D f-d up..

Mistake #1: Not amnestying Villanueva and not buying out Stuckey - which would've created the cap space to sign Iguodala. Don't think we could've gotten him for the 12 mil GS gave him? Give him 13. Hell, give him 14 if you need to. We would've had the cap space.

Mistake #2: Drafting KCP over Burke - which leaves us with Knight as our point guard.

C: A. Drummond(2.5), S. Kravtsov(1.5)
    PF: G. Monroe(4.1), J. Jerebko(4.5), T. Mitchell(0.8)
    SF: J. Smith(14.0), K. Singler(1.0), L. Datome(1.9)
    SG: A. Iguodala(13.0), *?*FA*?*, K. Middleton(0.8)
    PG: T. Burke(2.4), B. Knight(2.9), P. Siva(0.8)

...R. Stuckey(4.3)

54.5M in total salaries. 4.2M left in cap-space (and, I believe, the MLE & LLE too) to sign a SG. Some possible expendables could be released/traded/not signed in the first place to create extra space too (Jonas, Slava, Siva, Middleton, Luigi, etc.)

That would've been the second-best team in the East. And it would've had a puncher's chance against the Heat. Smith is as good a matchup as there is for LeBron. Iggy is as good a matchup as there is for Wade. Drummond and Monroe would overpower Bosh and whoever else down low. Burke is much better than Chalmers right now, IMO. Free-agent two-guard in the rotation helps us get everyone into their proper positions, along with Knight, Singler and Middleton. If Mitchell and Luigi end up being good, all the better. Jerebko has been solid when given opportunity. I think our bench would've been better than Miami's.

RECORD SET STRAIGHT.

(Months prior to the draft, I was in favor of trading Monroe for a top-5 pick, and really interested in Giannis. As we learned how week a draft class it was, I backed off the Monroe idea. As we learned how long it was going to take to get Giannis over seas - 2 to 3 years - and that we wouldn't be able to trade our two 2nd rounders to move up and get him, I backed off that idea as well).

19. mikhail1973

You are entitled to your opinion and we all respect that. However, please do not pass it as a fact. People here have different opinions and they will not always agree.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

DUDE! Seriously? I created a "New Thread" just for YOU!