Thus far, Joe-D's screwed up this off-season..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 7, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bynum can and Siva may be able to.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Iguodala didn't want to play for the Pistons. That blows up this entire thread.
    S.J. likes this.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NO! Players are robots. They always put up their average stats and they always go to the highest bidder regardless of any other considerations.

Also, all fans are mind readers and fortune tellers.
    S.J., Walter and TWOTIMESRALPHI like this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

You forgot that all NBA GMs are morons if they don't draft your favorite, hometown-team college player.
    brofmfa likes this.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Not all fans. I consider myself more of a Casual Internet Fan.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

7. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

8. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

How could we pass up on the GOAT?
    vincy4fish98 likes this.
  9. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

linwood and The Panda like this.
  10. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

you and him spoke? - - and no, it wouldn't (if you had), as there's still the issue of Joe-D wasting 13 M in cap space, again.
  11. BillLaimbeer

If Joe D trades the expiring contracts, then the $13 M is not wasted.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He wasn't actually. All Sacto did was make the offer. The reason they pulled it is because Iguodala balked, even at that price. Suggesting despite the money he didn't want to play for a rebuilding team - eg. Detroit.
    S.J. and coynejeremy like this.
  13. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Now now Panda. We all need to be more respectful. After all the hardware and accolades he assembled, we should refer to him as Mr. GOAT. Seriously though, I expect him to adjust just as KCP does. Probably a case of expectations and opening night stage fright.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

15. The Panda

But is he as good as Mario 'Top 5 PG' Chalmers?
  16. blueadams

Big IF there, BILL.
  17. blueadams

I read that it was pulled because he was actually going to accept it - - and the offer was made as nothing more than a gesture to keep fans interested.
  18. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's interesting. Do you have a link or report perchance?
  19. BillLaimbeer

I agree, BLUE....but so was your initial premise that if Joe offered Iggy $12 million, he would have signed to play with the Pistons.
  20. The Panda

Sorry to requote the original post, but I see that you also have included Iggy and Martin in this potential lineup.

So you don't want to play just one new player out of position, but two (AI + JSmoove). Give a contract to a guy with chronic tendinitis in his knees who is about to be on the wrong side of 30, and to a career 44/38/87 guy who also happens to be overpaid for his production and on the wrong side of 30. And since we already know that KCP has the ability to defend, and KMart doesn't, I think we have got a winner.

And this team, badly out of position (3 of the 5 players away from their preferred and arguably most effective positions), with virtually no spacing unless you consider a slow rookie and a 33% career 3pt shooter legitimate threats from deep.

And this is all beside the fact that the NBA has minimum salary requirements, so amnestying Chuckles and waiving Stuckey would all be in pathetic futility unless you had already lined up the next guy to both replace them on the team and replace their salary.

So all of a sudden this

Appears borderline moronic and short sighted. Despite having gotten used to the endless hyperbole that some people spew about this team, a slightly more reasoned and pragmatic perspective is so deeply appreciated occasionally. I mean the title of the thread suggests that you can either see into the future or deeper in the know than everyone else in the league. Since, obviously, neither is true, perhaps we should accept that the offseason is only ten days old, that the moratorium has only just passed and perhaps signing Josh Smith is just the first of many moves. Perhaps it is not. But even if it isn't, just the sight of top tier talent in Motown is enough to justify even the most barren remainder.

Says who? The more likely story is that the Kings pulled the offer because it was going to be turned down and a massive slight to their team. Getting turned down when you pony up all the dollars isn't exactly what you want everyone to be hearing. Plus they had to pull the offer sheet for their trade to go through. Minnesota offered lots of money for Kmart, which he won't be getting elsewhere. I think it is a terrible contract for them and its going to hurt pretty bad because they are going to require him to do more than catch and shoot from the wing and corner.

I think the more important question is what happens if he does amnesty/waive those two players and then ends up $6m under the cap with no good FA's willing to come to Detroit. We lose a good floor spacer and Stuckey and have to sign some absolute trasher for $6m a year. If your plan all along was to resign Maggette to another multi million dollar payday then congratulations because this is the best way to justify it.

It gets said all the time, but cap space is useless on its own. You are suggesting clearing cap space for the sake of cap space. Without targets, we get stuck with another Maggette for another year. We may as well keep what we have if that is the alternative. Plus, both Stuckey and Villenueva have trade value. Very little, but it certainly exists, particularly to rebuilding team. Hell LAL might listen if we offer up CV for Steve Nash.[/quote][/quote]
    coynejeremy likes this.