This team needs a major culture change, ASAP

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

That's sad
    ...passed over like the Christmas fruitcake.

2. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This culture of lose has grown since ECF 2009 where no one even tried to come near a moving LBJ in our paint, they might already used to it.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like Frank (so far) but I still maintain that Bill Laimbeer would have been just what the Pistons need.

4. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

The similarities between our Pistons and my other team, Arsenal FC, are staggering.

5. BallDon'tLie

I don't follow Soccer but I have to assume that Arsenal has a bunch of guys who get paid the most but produce the least and a management strategy that is bent on trying to win meaningless games in a lost season rather than preparing the team for a series of championship runs in the future.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't follow Soccer but I have to assume that Arsenal has a guy that works out in a suana, a shooter that does push ups instead of practicing to shoot, a guy that likes to collide with the opponents, a guy who the clueless coach plays as a midfielder but should never, never, never play midfield, and a Russian dude that doesn't even dress for the games.

BallDon'tLie and basketbills like this.
  7. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Arsenal has a guy who is a midfielder who is played in defence when he should never, ever play there. Andre Santos - basically our version of Charlie V.

We produced a gutless surrender vs Manchester United last weekend.

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet the Pistons could hang with that team for a half.

Laimbrane likes this.
  9. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Here are some of the addition/subtraction attitude ideas I'm mulling over..

#1) If we're in line for a top five pick at the end of the season, I think it's almost probable that Gores pulls the plug on Joe-D and Frank. Based on the marketing campaigns we've seen thus far into his ownership, I'd imagine that Gores is very much in favor of fielding the kind of team I described - tough, mean, hard-working, hungry, etc; and that he'd bring in a GM/HC duo that values that (also, based on some of the front-office additions he's made, it's also clear that he's a believer in the Houston Rockets/NBA Sabermetrics theories, and would have that in mind with his GM hire as well). Like I've said, bring in a tough as nails defensive/effort-minded coach who commands respect and doesn't take any crap from players; and a GM who will deliver him the kind of players we want.

#2) Get rid of Villanueva, Daye and Prince. Not the kind of players we need around here, and certainly not the kind of veteran leaders we want either. Amnesty Villanueva in the summer. Let Daye walk as a free agent. And desperately do whatever you have to do to move Tayshuan (which could mean giving up picks).

#3) Veteran Back-Up Point Guard. I like Bynum. He's one of the few guys on this team who actually cares, at least at times. But Knight needs a really experienced knowledgable veteran to be showing him the ropes..and to push him. Doubt it'd happen, but someone like Chauncey would be excellent, or maybe someone similar who commands a little less PT. If it's possible to resign Bynum as a third point guard...well, whatever...but it wouldn't make a ton of sense.

#4) Tough, mean, veteran big man. Someone to show Drummond and Monroe how we need them to be in this league. You'd be thinking someone like Ben, but reall[FONT=Times New Roman]y, Ben wasn't reall[FONT=Times New Roman]y what Ben was in his second stint here. To some extent, sure, he was. But I also remember him being benched for skipping practice, laughing on the bench with all his fellow suspendees while we were getting slaughtered in that game, and complaining about ever[FONT=Times New Roman]y coach he ever pla[FONT=Times New Roman]yed for. Don't necessaril[FONT=Times New Roman]y need someone who can still pla[FONT=Times New Roman]y here, but who knows how to pla[FONT=Times New Roman]y, on both ends of the court, and will be a great example.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]#5) If [FONT=Times New Roman]you can resign Maxiel to a short, cheap deal, and he's prepared to be a 3rd string PF, go ahead. He's one of the few current pla[FONT=Times New Roman]yers on the roster who represents what I want (though he's not that good at basketball).[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]#[FONT=Times New Roman]6) If Maggette proves to be the kind of pla[FONT=Times New Roman]yer we're looking for, and [FONT=Times New Roman]you can sign him to a short, cheap deal, and he's prepared to be a backup, again, go ahead. Not likel[FONT=Times New Roman]y though.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

C: A. Drummond, *?*FA*?*, V. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko, J. Maxiel(?)
    SF: S. Muhammad(1st), K. Singler, K. Middleton
    SG: R. Stuckey, C. Magette(?), K. English
    PG: B. Knight, *?*FA*?*, T. Burke(2nd)

...gone: Villanueva, Daye, Prince, Bynum

basketbills likes this.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I see you are sticking with Stuckey still.... is that door in your eyes closing? His ship has sailed for me.... besides that I'm on board with most the things you said, though I would rather not pull the plug on yet another 2 years of a coach in Detroit. Unless its obvious he's lost the team, I want him to have a legit chance to right the ship. Same with Joe, we have come this far... lets see what happens. I have to assume that Joe and the ownership have discussed the plan and if the plan is being followed then I'm fine with Joe staying abit longer.

11. blueadams

It's gonna be hard to move Rodney. If we can get something good for him, then by all means. But I still see him as a useful backup combo guard on a good team in a worst case scenario.

As for the Gores plan.. If Joe-D's gone, I think it means Frank's gone too (nothing to do with his performance, just a package deal as I see it). And I don't think that plan included a top 5 pick, if there is such a plan.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Joe/Frank are good for another year. We'll see a shakeup if we can't make the playoffs next year though.

13. blueadams

I don't think any of us know enough about this guy to accurately predict his behavior.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just going by the Ben Gordon dump trade. We gave a 1st rounder that is lottery protected this year and top 1 protected next year. So, if we fail to make the playoffs next year, that would mean that fixing a prior Joe D mistake cost us a lottery pick. If we do make the playoffs, then there's at least that to show for.

So far, Gores has paid a lot of money to fix Joe's mistakes. Nothing in return yet.

Nemo likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

A couple of points:
    1. If Gores had his way, I don't think he'd want a scrappy, tough team like the Bad Boys. I think he'd rather have a metrosexual Laker style team to match his wardrobe.

2. I agree with Walter that Joe and Lawrence Franklin are safe for one more season. No 2014 playoffs? - ...cats will be gettin' sent fo'.

3. I like this roster that you put together but Stuckey's gotta go. I know he'll break out of this slump that he's currently in and resume being average; After the last three seasons, I'm just sick of looking at him.

Nemo likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget that Gores supposedly overruled JD and suggested that Frank be hired. Joe will get the axe before Frank I think.

Nemo likes this.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I don't remember ever reading this. Source?

18. Kick it to the big man

Kick it to the big man Second Round Draft Pick

As i think about our pistons, im thinking our tough guy is CV, he dont take no _hit! frank needs to squash the beef, and take control of his team. True coaches take what you got on the bench and make it happen, if CV had been playing we might have a W by now.........If CV and Frankenstein would battle the other teams this hard, instead of each other, we just might win!!! this is a man's sport, our team is actin like b_tches....we need a Waterboy.....

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was during the coaching search in the DetNews, I think. Dumars wanted someone else, I can't remember who, and Gores/Checketts liked little Larry.

I don't have a link.

20. BallDon'tLie

It's true.
    Frank was Checketts' guy.