This team needs a LEGIT center in the worst way

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 27, 2011.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This team needs a LEGIT Super Star in the worst way. Take any position (except Monroe) and trade that player for a top-3 talent and we'd actually be a pretty good team.
    PG:Knight - Derrick Rose / CP3 / Deron Williams
    SG: Gordon - Kobe / Wade / .......... can't think of a 3rd, geez, the NBA is really hurting for SG's
    SF: Tay - Kevin Durant / Melo / LBJ
    PF: JJ - Kevin Love / Amare / Griffin
    C: Monroe
  2. max

max All-Star

This team needs a legit a lot of things.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The best thing about Monroe to me is you can pair him with almost any type of player offensively and it would not throw his game off. He could easily play with an AI or Melo type of offensive player and get the same results.

The worst thing about Monroe, I'm starting to think, is his interior D at the 5. I know we're busy projecting his Camelot future where all his warts are gone, but he's been out there a lot during the opponents layup drills.

It would be funny if Sheed came back for that 10 minute stretch every 3-4 games when he and Big Ben were glued to the floor yet still showed that they were the 2 best defenders they had. They would hack the you know what out of people.
  4. max

max All-Star

Only think Sheed would do is get us a worse lottery pick.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

The layup line against the Pistons wouldn't be changed that much unless we had Dwight Howard back there, and even if we had him, he'd be in constant foul trouble. Stopping penetration, as is everything else on D, is much more of a team game than an individual defenders ability to stop plays 1 on 1. Some things which should really give us hope re: Monroe on D. He's highly intelligent, he seems to have a strong work ethic, he has great hands and feet, and opposing C's have a lousy field goal % against him on post up plays. He seems to have the ability to prevent centers from getting the shots they want without him contesting them for the position they are trying to get to on the court. I don't see ever him as an all-NBA defender, but I'll bet he's an asset to us on D when on the court with a group of fine team defenders and maybe one of them (or 2) being no-fly guys.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Dumars is too in love with his pets. We had tons of cap space available before we signed Charile V . and Gordon. We could have at least talked to Amare or even at worst signed David Lee. I don't buy into the they won't come here any way so I won't try attitude. We should have gutted this team and pulled a Pat Riley.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Even if we had Dwight Howard instead of Monroe, it'll still be a layup drill all game long. When someone drives and Monroe blocks the path the rock is dished to any number of players that are cutting to the basket while the Piston that is supposed to defend them is still looking around trying to figure out what happened. We have zero help defense.
    round likes this.
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yep quite often we think we know that somebody is a terrible paint defender, but I'm sure the tape shows the coaches the really blown plays are by... and Monroe is far from perfect but nearly as bad as it comes off on tv.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But what if we had Dwight Howard instead of Max? You telling me a front court of Howard and Monroe wouldn't take the league by storm? heck if you add Howard to the mix, CVG actually becomes an asset. This team is just 1 bonafied MVP type player away. Can you imagine if Dirk was starting in place of JJ? Ben Gordon would actually be Ben Gordon again or at least he'd be as effective as Jason Terry.
    I personally believe we need a stud on the wing at either the 2-or-3 spot. Monroe is impressing me big time, he doesn't need a stud next to him to complete this team, a Udonis Haslem type player would do the trick, even a Lamar Odom (that guy was pretty good, but Lamar Kardashian SUCKS!) but our lack of talent at the 2 and 3 spots are just ridiculous; which is why I'm so frustrated by Daye, he was supposed to become this dynamic SF who could shoot at a high percentage and give us 15-17ppg by now, he showed every indication that he could become that guy, unfortunately he's no better now than he was when we drafted him.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A shotblocker makes everybody better. Our championship team had Ben roaming in the paint with Sheed neutralizing the opponents scoring big man. It made Chauncey, Rip, and Tay appear to be great defenders... and they were in terms of cheating out on their man and helping each other to make jump shots difficult. Monroe appears to be the medium fundamental, so you'd think that an athletic guy who shot blocks on D and dunks on offense would be a perfect match. Monroe becomes a Sheed who never leaves the paint and the new guy becomes the new Ben.

Unfortunately, the "new guy" is one of the most coveted and rarest finds.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

Supposedly, there are quite a number of exactly that type of player who will be available to us in the draft.
  12. Walter

That's not what I'm saying. If we had Howard AND Monroe, then yeah, that would one heck of a front court. But swap Monroe with Howard, and you'll only be marginally better.

I think you're on the money when you say we need a stud wing player. The anti-Prince if you will.
  13. Walter

Bismack Biyombo.
  14. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

'Ball don't lie'
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm not sure that they need a "legit center", although that would be nice. Like a lot of people here, I do believe that they need an athletic, interior defender. A full-sized 4 would work for me.

They DO need a serious wing scorer. Stuckey's a reserve combo guy at best. He doesn't have the instincts for the point. He's too streaky to be your starting #2. Gordon's a chucker. At his best, he's a shooter off the bench.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko with 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 blocks in only 24 minutes tonight. 14 block per 48 minute pace??? Lamar got packed 5 times en route to 2-14 shooting, 0 assists and 2 turnovers.

Rubio neared a triple double with 17/7/12 +4 steals. This kid is working out incredibly well for the them. And Love resigned for a 4 year extension, probably thanks to having Rubio on the team with positive momentum (could be us in another year or two).

In celebration, Love went 32/10/2/2/2 on the night to help beat the defending champs.

The T-Wolves starters outscored Dallas to 82 to 39.

Without Dirk, they bad.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes. But not for the price that they're asking for. They want a pick, cap relief and a young player for a guy with a ton of questions.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd give them Stuckey in a heartbeat. Maybe with a 2nd rounder.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

There's only like 3 players in the entire league we wouldn't trade for Stuckey in a hearbeat.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.