This Just In - Flip Wins 2007 Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To this point the Pistons have played 14 games, seven at home and seven away.

Home record – five wins / two losses – 0.714
    Away record – four wins / three losses – 0.571

If you project these winning percentages out across 82 games (using the home and away percentages versus a full 42/42 game schedule) the team will finish at 54 and 28 - ten games below last year’s record setting pace.

If you allow that they could have easily won one of either the 99-100 game versus New Orleans or the 101-103 game at Utah, the projected number of wins goes up to 60 for a 60-22 season.

If the team wins 54 after having lost the four time DPOY heart and soul of the team then Flip is a serious contender for coach of the year. If they step up a bit and win 60 you may as well declare victory now and don’t bother with the voting.

The only potential competitor on the horizon is Riley. If Shaq sits half the season and the Heat still finish in the top two or three in the East, then Flip has some competition.

Barring a complete collapse or player revolt (and I don’t see anyone on this team leading a player revolt), Flip is here to stay.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If all this calculations happens to be true, we would have been the defending NBA Champions....
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You know the song "I left my heart in San Francisco" Well clearly the Bulls must be thinking right now that Big Ben "Left his Heart in Soul in Pontiac"
  4. buddahfan

It might not mean much but the T-Wolves have never had a winning season in their franchise history without Flip as their coach and he had only one sub .500 year when he was their coach for the full year and that was his first full year in which he won 40 games.

Of course last night the T-Wolves did stage a miraculous comeback against the old Clippers (In the 4th quarter the Clippers had a relapse to their old ways) to pull one out at home and get to .500. But the way they were playing most of the night I doubt that the T-Wolves will finish at the season at .500 or better so Flip's record will stay in tack.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How did he rate last year?
  6. dba

Flip came in third last year. Avery was a runaway winner and D'Antoni and Flip were second and third. The "keys to the Cadillac" thing hurt Flip last year as most expected the Pistons to play well. This year though, with across the board low expectations and a general perception that with Ben gone coaching is now required, Flip is right in the running.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What AJ didn't get a Cadillac too?
  8. dba

Not in the same way. The Mavs hadn't won anything while the Pistons had been to the finals two years in a row with one title and a tie for another going into the fourth quarter of game seven. Plus, no one was accusing the Mavs of having the best starting five in the league. Plus they have traded away Finley...
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I was not fooled, the Mavs were a nice car last year and the year before. They just needed a little defense. Something D. Nelson couldn't grasp. Damn that hurt to say...as with Flip.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks very interesting dba. If Flip wins COY, that is a good thing.

I don't see why the Pistons can't win 50+ games this year.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

As of right now, Jerry Sloan is probably the runaway favorite for COY, though of course that can change as the season goes on.
  12. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I think early votes have to go to Jerry Sloan and Brian Hill. Both teams finished below .500 basketball last year and they are BOTH killing it this year.

If the Jazz finish top 1-2 in the West and the Magic are top 4 in the East I don't see how you can ignore those two guys.

Usually guys that "improve" their win-loss records by the most are the ones that win that stuff or the guys that help their team to the best record in the NBA.

Detroit still has 3 All-Stars from last season and I think in the mind of voters that what those other two "non-playoff" teams from last year are doing is much more impressive.
  13. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Damn, you beat me to it by 2 minutes. I have to type a bit faster from now on.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I threatened to start a "Flip for Coach of the Year" thread a couple of times, but I feared the violent attacks that might take place. You provided a nice argument, though.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think Jack is right about the historical tendency for COY to go to coaches who get a big improvement in their team's record from one season to the next, and also that most people around the league are still expecting the Pistons to win low-to-mid 50s and end up in the top half of the East. Doing that with 3 All-Stars, plus a 4th guy who might very well make it this year, is not likely to be seen as exceeding expectations, even though Ben left town.
  16. buddahfan

My vote goes to "The Zen Meister".

I think he will meditate the Fakers into another NBA finals this year if Obe-Wan Kenobe stays healthy.

On the other hand how can he miss with ex Pistons Super Stars Mo "The Mighty" Evans and Smush "Smash" Parker leading the way.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Right now I think Sloan, Phil Jackson, and Brian Hill are doing better, but thing can change fast.
  18. dba

No doubt there is some serious competition out there at this early phase of the season.

Oddly, Flip's reputation will be governed at least in part by how well Ben does in Chicago. If Ben flops, then the Pistons didn't lose much and Flip is still stuck with the Cadillac legacy. If Ben comes around and has a credible season in Chicago it just makes a good Pistons' season look better for him.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Exactly what I was thinking...
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

This is a double edged sword. If Ben does well in Chicago, and Flip does well in Detroit, he looks good for making it work without Ben, but looks bad for not playing Ben against the Heat, or utilizing him properly while he was here.

If Flip does well and Ben burns out, then it looks like Flip cut some dead weight from last season.