This ain't your daddy's NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 26, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Good idea, dba. That ratings info might be real interesting.

I don't know exactly when cable tv came about, but can't some of these ratings plunges be explained by the huge amount of choices that people have for general entertainment and sports fandom now? American Idol, Sopranos, Court TV, Sex and the City, Apprentice, Survivor, and movies galore etc etc etc.

Used to be there was nothing else on TV on Saturday and Sunday but ABC Wide World of Sports. (a long time ago i know:rolleyes: )

The THRILL OF VICTORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT. WELCOME TO ABC WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS! (and that guy goes smashing off the ski jump, remember?)

I found myself watching alot of NFL Network during the this last baseball playoff run and I am a Cards fan. My team was in it, but I also wanted to track my fantasy football team and watch the NBATV Training Camp Specials. I just think there are alot more choices for casual NBA fans and sports viewers in general.

I have to make decisions about what to watch routinely, usually the NBA, NCAA basketball, NFL, MLB in that order. But I might skip around The Big Three to watch big deals like the Indy 500, The Olympic Figure Skating or Gymnastics, the Kentucky Derby or The World Cup. I haven't added the Paintball Finals or the X games or the NFL Cheerleader Playoffs :redface: to that list (what can I say, I was a cheerleader in high school and college:nod: ), but I can see that time coming.

My point: market saturation on every level. I hate to think that eventually the major cities will have all the professional teams because of the tv revenue. Yikes. Like I said earlier, a symptom of the implosion of capitalism. LOL.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In most cases you're right. The tremendous growth in cable ratings over the past 20 years has taken huge hunks of audience away from regular network TV programming.

But I think it's different for sports. Two of the three highest rated finals since 1976 were in '97 and '98 when Mikey took it to Utah. (Yes, I found the average game ratings for the finals for the last 30 years.) Rather than taking audience away from many sports, including basketball, cable and other new media provided a lot more exposure, driving up the fan base. I think to a large extent, those alternative media helped to save basketball.

Now if I can find market sizes for the past 30 years, I can see if there is a relationship between size of market and size of national ratings.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Maybe they need another league, called the NBDA (National Basketball Defense Association)

The rules would be like the NBA except that instead of getting points for scoring you would get points for stopping your opponent.

1. Two points for a steal or forced turnover
    2. One point for every time your opponent shoots and misses.
    3. Half point for every foul shot your opponent misses.
    4. In the last three minutes of the game four points for a steal or forced turnover.
    5. Hand checking and bumping by the defense would be allowed except that if you draw blood you are automatically suspended for 10 games.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why would the team on offense shoot the ball? It seems like only bad things would happen. I would propose 5 points for a shot clock violation.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

3 points if you can stop Wade & Arenas from beating you off the dribble.