This ain't your daddy's NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 26, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

HoopsHype - Articles - The death of defense?

Great read. Serious brain food for serious ball fans.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its becoming more and more like netball. Next thing you know they'll have a '3 feet away' rule.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All I know is Stern is close to facing a player union rebellion... he's forcing his will too much these days.... sit back shut up and collect that fat check or you may be back to the family practice.
  4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I think it's your little sister's NBA. Is it that Stern is a big sissy? Or a power freak? Or a nut case? It's pretty bad when even mild mannered Steve Nash is complaining! The owners need to stand up!
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

He is trying to make the game appeal to the ESPN highlight fan. I myself grew up watching teams play tough D and still score 100. As far as I'm concerned he and the system/mentality he has helped create from high school and what 1year of college experience now is watering the game down skill wise. So what does he do? Waters the rules down to fix it. He is ruining the game. How far will he go until you can double dribble and be able to take 10 steps to the basket? I'll take the old school NBA anyday. To me that was entertainment.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

of course, i'll take the old school too, like many of you. but i'm realizing that we must be a pretty tiny and therefore irrelevant minority. Obviously the NBA is a business entity and as such I doubt we'd be seeing these changes if the resulting new "product" weren't profitable (i.e. popular). It may be that Stern and his minions are over reaching or miscalculating the long term effects of these changes on "product sales". But as sad as it might make me, I wouldn't count on that.
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

It`s all about the money folks, we know that.

High scoring games + NBA superstars (doing the scoring) = higher ratings + more money for NBA, networks, and owners.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

All about the Benjamins, he insititute a new lighter softer basketball that is sheer crap, implements a system for the LBJ's and DWades of the world, tells players they can't frown or even look in the refs direction.

McCarthyism, that's what it is.
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:amen:

I might go a little farther. Stern's NBA is another example of Karl's Marx prediction that the natural progression of capitalism is to implode upon itself.

The NBA version of the game of basketball has been corrupted by greed for market share, tv ratings, jersey sales and ticket prices that make it unaffordable to see your team live. That's why a team like Greece beat Team USA with the same pick and roll over and over again. The solution to that problem of course is for the NBA to make plans to take over the European game with NBA branding.
    Just think of all that fan money in Europe!

I'm so glad I have NBA TV and I can watch all these old games before the NBA was a mass marketed product and still a league of professional basketball teams.
  10. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Next thing you know, the offensive player will be able to tuck the ball under one arm, take three steps down the lane and stiff arm a guy on the way to the hoop. Seeing crap like that really does take away from my enjoyment of the game.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

what nobody is talking about is the decline in TV ratings over that past several years.
    The Pistons vs. the Spurs was a prime example of two excellent ballclubs that played great defense and executed well on offense. It was team ball on boths sides and RATINGS SUCKED.

Yes the league is paying the price for stripmining its talent pool in the preps. Yes the league is pandering to the 10 second sportscenter highlight viewer.
    However, without TV revenues, how can teams afford to play those bloated contracts?
    This is not some insane power monger looking to vicariously live out his hoop dream by manipulating the league, its a reaction to the real threat of revenue loss.

How do you keep fan interest? what the nba was offering didn't appeal to the majority of consumers.
  12. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Stern does not have enough of a broad vision to be commissioner. Great marketer and all, but not able to see a bigger picture.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

maybe. This whole fiasco is reactionary. International basketball is where we're headed. I think Stern is looking to maintain a sizeable warchest as it starts to consider expanding abroad over the next decade.
  14. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

Is the NBA becoming more and more like the And 1 hoops? More flash and dash than actual basketball substance?
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that good defense was not necessarily the cause of the bad ratings between the Pistons and Spurs. The ratings for the Tigers/Cards series were terrible too.

It was probably just that 2 small market teams were playing. If the NBA tries to make it so that doesn't happen, then they lose their integrity and risk a long term ratings disaster.

The NBA probably would have enjoyed better ratings for the Pistons/Spurs if they would have invested a little marketing $ in guys like Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan. In pro wrestling, part of the ratings game is creating villains. Maybe they should villainize (and thereby embrace) the good defenders instead of just ignoring them.

They put all their marketing eggs in one basket with guys like Dwayne Wade. If those players don't make the finals, then they are screwed. That is why we are all paranoid about the NBA "making sure" the right teams make it there.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep. I'd suspect that the difference in ratings is actually smaller than the gap in market sizes between Detroit & San Antonio and oh, Chicago and Los Angeles. If you factored in relative market sizes I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit/San Antonio outperformed other series.

Agree in principle, but what kind of player marketing does the league do? To a large extent most companies don't have much use for sports stars as endorsers anyway, other than shoes, sports drinks, and local stuff. And those guys can only feature so many players. If you're trying to sell Gatorade, it's hard to imagine LBJ isn't a better pick than Duncan. What levers does the league control and turn in the area of player marketing?
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Doesn't the lack of appeal when two smaller market teams play signal a lack of marketing OOMPH or creativity?
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe, but I bet you could explain the ratings gaps just using the market sizes. Assume that a good share of out market fans miss at least some finals games just because their team isn't there. Even if a very high share of fans within the markets playing show up - if San Antonio is ten times smaller than LA, you're screwed. LA could lose 75% of core TV fans and still drive higher ratings than San Antonio who kept all of theirs.

Hey, my company owns Nielsen Media Research - I wonder if I might snag finals ratings for the past ten years and then look at relative market sizes. Could be something to do since as far as I can tell this season isn't ever going to start.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that they get more bang for the buck in marketing exciting offensive players... if those guys actually advance in the playoffs. The 'I am a witness' campaign looked really stupid when people realized that they were "witnessing" failure.

When the Pistons and Spurs met, it was the expected match-up. Leading up to it, they could have predicted that outcome and marketed accordingly.

I just don't like the thought of how easy it would be to influence the refs if it meant multi millions in ratings $. There are so many ways to do it, it is ridiculous.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

:pound: