things to miss about Larry Brown

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Sep 1, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Why didn't he ask for more money?

I'll miss him horing himself for every job opening in the NBA. He got the Bling so give him more green. I'll miss the unholy act of using Darko for mop up duty.:grouphug: :rolleyes:
  2. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

:pound::amen:

An excellent summary of his faults. I won't miss any of these things. I agree with all of them.

If I can say something about Brown's 3-point philosophy. Generally, I'm in favor of it: If you're a high-percentage 3-point gunner, shoot the ball when you've got a clean look; never force a three; pass it if a teammate has a better look; play to your team's best percentages.

What I'm not in favor of, is Brown's near refusal to let the hot hand take over. Basketball, like any sport, is a game of numbers, percents and probabilities. But sometimes you have to kick reason to the wayside. You have to go with the rhythm of the moment. SOMETIMES you have to play with instincts instead of brains. Frankly, RC's coaching allowed for much more of that than Brown's. We can all debate if this is a shortcoming of Brown's, or if it's the trait that sets him apart, that keeps his players under control during the Finals.

Rigid leadership can be hard to deal with, but I am afraid Larry Brown's rigid nature is what led us to two consecutive Finals. As much as I prefer play from the heart, I much rather prefer championships. This is why I miss LB and also why I'm glad he's gone.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Great Post

This made me relive all the trials, tribulations, victories and celebrations under Coach Brown. I pray that things work out well with Mr. Saunders. That playoff record just scares me to death.
  4. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Flip

I really think we're going to be fine with Flip at the helm. We've all heard and read about what a great offensive coach he is (heck even Evens just said that, at his press conference) so I look for him to definitely open up our offense, which should mean far fewer scoring droughts that drove everyone crazy, then add that to the defense this team already plays (assuming we maintain that) and I think we may just be a little better then last year. We shall see.

As far as his post season stats go. I look back at how strong the Western Conference was all those years as the main reason his playoff record was less then stellar. Playing the Lakers in the playoffs, when they were at the top of their game, was a tough way to earn a living.:boxing:
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It was very interesting to read this old thread. Most of the posts were dead on.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    True, looks like people in here really know the X's and O's of basketball.

:MusicBigGrin:
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: ..about LB

You are never wrong.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My perspective were he set up himself to bolt after he had brough the team and players to next level, I have every reason to miss him as a great coach while having every reason to be glad that he was gone as a small person.