Things that can/can't be developed, wrt draft prospects

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 12, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

...Just been reading a lot of the draft prospect reviews lately. Seeing a lot of players being projected to develop in areas that I don't think they'll ever be able to. Thought I'd do a little write-up. Obviously, about 90% of development for anyone is going to be about work ethic - - - and having spoken to no one's former coaches, I'm clueless - - - but here we go.

Height - no.

Mentality - no. I don't care who a guy is, where he comes from, what he's been doing, whatever. If he's not a super competitive guy on the court at any level, he's probably never going to be. If he's a selfish dick, he's probably always going to be. Etc...etc...etc.

Outside shooting - ?. For taller guys that haven't worked at it much to this point, sure. For guards and perimeter players that have been playing organized basketball most of their lives, probably not (there are exceptions with this, however). Once again, it all comes down to work-ethic, and you've got to talk to their ex-coaches.

Ball handling, passing...just comfort putting the ball on the ground - ?. Again, for taller guys, or for guys who haven't been playing that long - for sure. For others, probably not. All about work-ethic once again - - talk to their ex-coaches.

Athleticism - ?. Mostly talking about fat players here when you're talking about room for improvement. And again, it's the same answer. Is he his college strength and conditioning coach's best friend? If not, I wouldn't make any assumptions about him getting into shape.

Strength - ?. Hypothetically, sure. But we've watched plenty of players whose biggest weakness was their lack of strength go through entire NBA careers without putting on so much as 5lbs (Tayshaun, Daye, Charlie V, etc.). Is this prospect the strength and conditioning coach's favorite pupil? Does he eat exactly what he's supposed to. Does he break down the weight room doors? If not...I wouldn't assume that he's going to add a TON of muscle, other than naturally getting bigger as he goes from 18 to 21 or so.

Basketball IQ - controversial. Guys who are new to the game, and who take coaching, and who are reasonably quick to grasp things - sure (talk to their coaches). But among those who have been involved with the game for quite a while - - there seem to be two guys. Guy who has the feel. And guy who does not. Coaching will help to some extent with coachable players...but that feel tends to be something that's either there or isn't.

Basketball Fundamentals, offense and defense - ?. If a guys been through the loop - played organized youth basketball, middle school, high school, AAU, college - and he's still a bad fundamental basketball player...he's probably going to continue to be one. Guys who are relatively new to basketball - mostly African/South American players, and some late bloomer US kids - they might have a chance.

Post-Moves - Yes, usually. Tall people are slow to gain coordination. There is usually quite a bit of room for growth with young big men in this regard. Again, however, it comes back to their desire. Does his college big-man coach love him? If not, be wary.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This brings up an interesting question. What is the incentive for college coaches to be honest to NBA scouts? If you are a college coach, wouldn't you want your players to make it to the NBA? Wouldn't that translate to them sugar-coating the various aspects of a player?

I agree with most of what you said, but I think that outside shooting can be improved. Our own Rip Hamilton has improved his repertoire over the years (despite to the contrary belief.) Other guards that improved their shooting over the years are Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo. Overall, I think the chances of a guard improving his outside shot is about the same as a big guy improving his post-game. Both types of players need to have the will to improve and keep working at it.
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I think NBA 3-point range is one of the most common things to improve during the years in the league.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Mentality changes - see ZBo/Lebron
    Strength changes - see every NBA player who ever lived.
    All skills (shooting,post,dribbling,passing) change - see every NBA player

Basketball IQ is the only one I would consider shaky. Everything else should improve when you start training 8hrs a day
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Wallace sure improved his strength from 18 to 30.