Things can change fast

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 14, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

While looking up a link to the 2002 roster for a reference I made in another thread, I noticed something neat.

The 01/02 team only carried two players forward to the 03/04 champs. Neither were drafted players.

Add in a change of coach, and a lot happened in only 1 season (02/03).

Food for thot.

2001-02 Detroit Pistons Roster and Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

[​IMG]
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't think the team is going to get a total retool anytime soon.

But to be quite honest, after that Philly game, I am actually trying to figure out what we really need. I break it down like this.

1- We need an inside/outside wing as a scorer. I mean a legit 20ppg player.
    2 - We need more out of our bench. So far, we have a bunch of guys clogging it up. When Maggette is let go, Villenueva leaves and Daye leaves, that is 3 spots to get production out of.

The way I envision this team is in this starting lineup
    1 - BK - Moving away from a scoring role, in more into an passing role. I think he is a better passer than he thinks. He showed it tonight. Still some hiccups to iron out, but he has a good eye and a good mind. He should focus on his 3 point shot and elbow jumpers and look to facilitate. Ill take 12/10 all day over 20/3 from the point
    2 - Stuckey/Singler/English - I think Stuckey is the more talented player, but Singler and English fit this model better. They both move better off the ball, and can shoot from deep at a decent clip. It is so important to be able to space. If our backcourt can knock down the long balls, people will actually start to take us seriously at the perimeter
    3 - Legit scorer (Not prince) - This is obvious. At this point, I don't know who I want, but I know they need to be a high character person to get along with the rest of the team. Would love to hear some examples
    4 - Monroe - self explanatory
    5 - Drummond

6 - Stuckey as our 6th man. Good scorer off the bench, tonnes of energy

These are all the players that I actually want to keep, maybe Kravstov if he actually ever does anything.

Play D. Work hard. Win games.
    del, BallDon'tLie, Slippy and 2 others like this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I remember pulling all of Joe's trades and moves from that time period to try to figure out what he did (it's in a thread here somewhere). IIRC he was extremely active and borderline brilliant. Some may have been lucky, but just the sheer volume of his moves allowed his marginal wins to add up. It was like that guy who started with a red paperclip and bartered it continuously until he turned it into a house.

One red paperclip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe Joe can pull off something similar with some of the paper weights he has here.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dumars should trade Villenueva for that red paper clip.
    linwood likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can set you up like stucky spoon feeds maxiell. It's beautiful to watch.
    coynejeremy likes this.