The Stat Lab

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

If he could go for 23 minutes without getting blocked, I'd take that.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I couldn't find any sites that have stats for 'blocks against' other than this one, but it doesn't seem to have stats for the current season. I noticed Yahoo shows blocks against in box scores, but couldn't find anywhere that cumulates it.

Last season Greg Monroe led the league in most shots blocked with 120.

Hoopdata - NBA Player Scoring Stats
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

So if you divide minutes played with number of times blocked, Monroe has his shot blocked every 22 minutes of playing time.
    Will Bynum has his shot blocked every 28 minutes.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It's pretty obvious from this data that Greg Monroe is far too short.
    linwood likes this.
  5. Laimbrane

Like I said... if he could go 23 minutes...
  6. Laimbrane

Here's a few stats, broken down between wins and losses:
    Jennings
    Averages during wins
    fgs: 6.025/16 (38.2%)..... 3ps: 1.97/5.7 (34.5%).... fts: 3.7/4.8 (78.9%).... assts: 8.1.... steals: 1.57.... TOs: 3.08
    Averages during losses:
    fgs: 6.25/17 (37%)..... 3ps: 1.6/5.9 (28%).... fts: 3.4/4.5 (75.6%).... assts: 7.6.... steals: 1.5.... TOs: 3.14

Smith

Averages during wins
    fgs: 7.2/16.1 (44.9%).... 3ps: 1/3.9 (25.5%) .... fts: 2.7/4.3 (63.8%).... orb: 1.7.... trb: 6.9.... assts: 3.... blocks: 1.1....
    Averages during losses:
    fgs: 5.9/14.9 (39.4%).... 3ps: .66/3.2 (20.4%) .... fts: 1.9/3.8 (50.5%) .... orb:1 .... trb: 5.8 .... assts: 4.2.... blocks: 1.7....

Monroe

Averages during wins
    fgs: 5.7/10.6 (53.4%).... fts: 3.2/5.0 (65.1%).... orb: 3.... trb: 10.14.... assts: 2.2....
    Averages during losses:
    fgs: 5.8/11.4 (50.8%).... fts: 2.4/3.8 (63.3%).... orb: 2.9 .... trb: 7.7.... assts: 1.9

Drummond

Averages during wins
    fgs: 6.5/10 (65.8%).... fts: 1.9/4.6 (39.8%).... orb: 6.... trb: 13.7.... steals: 1.3.... blocks: .... 2.0
    Averages during losses:
    fgs: 5.1/8.8 (58%).... fts: 1.5/3.4 (42%).... orb: 5.2.... trb: 12.3 .... steals: 1.3.... blocks:

So in the wins, the big trio averages about 7 rebounds more per game and shoots about 5% better from the field. My guess is that the rebounds come at a higher clip vs. teams without a particularly competitive front line.

The other interesting stat here is that Smith tends to shoot more when the team wins.
  7. The Panda

Rebounds and 3 point shooting stick out to me there.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since the big lineup change 9 games ago:

Record: 4-5 (before it was 19-28)
    Record against West: 2-1 (before change it was 2-15)
    Pts per game: 104.9 (highest in East and 5th highest in NBA, tied with Phoenix and above OKC)
    Differential per game: -1.0 (before lineup change is was -2.8)

+/-
    BJ: +8
    JJ: +4
    AD: +2
    KCP: 0
    KS: -1
    JS: -1
    RS: -12
    WB: -17
    GM: -33

Except for Greg Monroe, it really stabilized everybody from a +/- perspective, especially Drummond... who was last on the team in this stat on the season. Monroe played fairly consistently during this stretch offensively though, so maybe just small sample size and bad luck on the +/- front.

Adding Singler to the starting unit really juiced our offense. KS has gone 19-38 from 3-point range and opened up the floor a bunch. We went from the 18th best offense in the league to being on pace to be the 5th, and highest scoring team in the East. Our differential per game climbed from -2.8 to -1.0.

It also seems to have awoken Josh Smith, who went from averaging 15.0 points per game to 22.7 over this stretch. Drummond increased his scoring, rebounding, and assist average as well as his FG% during the run.

Since going to the bench, Pope became the first player in 5 seasons to post 3 straight "trillions" with 0 points in 7 out of 9 games. Either he hit a wall, his confidence was shattered, or it ain't so easy scoring as a guard alongside Bynum and Stuckey.

Tough schedule coming up though in the next 10. Expected record is about 3-7.
    GSW (L)
    @SAS (L)
    @HOU (L)
    NYK (W)
    CHI (50/50 because it's at home)
    @MIN (50/50 ish to be generous)
    @BOS (W)
    SAC (L)
    @TOR (L)
    IND (L)
    roscoe36 likes this.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So Josh is better at the 4. Greg Monroe may be a spare piece. Kyle Singler was the missing link.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Pope was just a drag on our scoring. The team has spacing issues and we swapped out a .309 3-point shooter for a guy who has been stroking it at .500 since filling the role. Singler has scored 1.03 points per possession in the last 9 games (close to Andre Drummond's season average of 1.04... on all dunks).

I'd still love to see the traditional lineup of Jennings/ Pope/ Singler/ Smith/ Drummond to see if we are any good defensively. That lineup could cause tons of turnovers, guard the perimeter, and possibly still dominate in the paint. I feel like we're getting killed on the perimeter by whomever Monroe is guarding when they are stretch 4's. Monroe is a tough SOB on offense, but he only scores at the rim and his passing skills go to waste when the paint is packed and we lack room for cutters. Both Josh and Greg would really benefit from a traditional lineup IMO.

My preference is still to keep them both next year and roll with having 3 bigs each up almost all of the PF and C minutes. And I thought that Smith at SF could work coming into this season and I salivated over our defensive potential... but that was just wrong. Unless we get a coach who can dream up a way to create spacing while not allowing Josh Smith to shoot long J's, then we should abandon this scheme. And that coach would also have to find a way to keep our bigs from naturally collapsing and sagging, which is probably impossible.

On jump shots alone, we are getting outscored each night by 10 points (49 to 39) and on an eFG basis (.467 to .394). We win everywhere else (paint and FTs, even with our bad FT percentage).
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Slippy, Laimbrane and The Panda like this.
  11. Laimbrane

I think you hit the nail on the head; Monroe is ideally suited to being a bench contributor, where he can come in, let the team slow things down by isoing offensively in the paint, dominate second-tier post players and give the rest of the starters a bit of a rest.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's not exactly what I was saying, but I actually agree with your rendition more than my own. With greg being a great iso player, the second unit can just feed him and wait around on the arc for a kick out after a double. No plays necessary.

Realistically, we probably need to resign him first.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you completely. Getting Bynum more minutes seems to have triggered the offense.
  14. Laimbrane

Though it's been killing the defense...
  15. Laimbrane

I wish Greg could see how that would benefit his career, Ginobli-style. He's not a great defender (especially on the perimeter), so his focus would be offensive.

Starting Jennings/Pope/Singler/Smith/Drummond would give the team an up-tempo, strong defensive squad, and then when they bring in Monroe off the bench they could slow it down, work isos, feed the hot hand, etc. It doesn't really mesh well with their bench guard play, but that has to change next year anyway.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Last year we waited and waited for the obvious and it finally happened. The challenge this year lies in possibly bruising the ego and wallet of a guy who is about to hit FA.

What are the rules involved in trying to sign Monroe early?
  17. Laimbrane

Hope he doesn't have David Falk as an agent.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think he does have an agent known for being extreme. Don't remember the name though.
  19. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What would be happened if the Pistons put GM come off the bench ? The rock stern big 3 starting line up this season, as I see it is, to make GM happy on the way to try to keep him next year.
  20. The Panda

Well that sucks.